Cher - Christmas

It also does that marvellous thing of being VERY LITTLE to do with Christmas itself, meaning we'll probably get a DIFFERENT version with a ridiculously crowbarred in "DJ, PLAY THAT SUMMER SONG" version where she says "It's warm outside, but it's chill in here" next JULY! :disco: :disco: :disco:

A cheap as chips vaguely festive Believe-era retread was entirely the right move. Christmas came early.

There is also maximal remix potential to amp up the ridiculous further, especially for said ropey key change.

To be fair, the vocoder is ENTIRELY unnecessary but WHO THE FUCK CARES!?

DING DONG MERRILY ON HIGH, LOVES, DING DONG :disco:

Reactions: LTZ
Imagine doing a cheeky bump after Christmas dinner and walking back into the room and this is playing.

She missed the opportunity to do a new version of Believe, called "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"

Instead of "Do you believe in life after love?"!

Nothing more / nothing less :disco:

CH ER's heroic vocal carrying and scattering vapid lyrics, delivered in poignant isolation, I will now never know Christmas or life in general without.

The key change to herald a hail storm of retired dancing faeries being given their wings again. The gay after life has a new opening number

The Metro music is muscular and shimmers. My love for My Love is ignited and turned into fireworks. A crystalized guitar lick lifted from Believe ties it all together.

A sense of CH ER history with a tough uptempo edge ("you just wanna hear it").

DJ Play A Christmas Song is Gay Christmas disco Mecca.

That does pretty much confirm only a few bangers.

Oh Darlene...

“And she said, ‘Hey, doll!’ I hadn’t talked to her in so long I said, ‘This is who?’ and she said ‘Cher, b–ch!’”

:disco:

Darlene has said some shady things about CH ER over the years, very passive-aggressively though. I cannot remember the documentary, but she was a talking head and perhaps it was showing footage of her touring as a backing singer for her (there may have been some wig dialogue - the hair did look amazing anyway (edit: something that's coming back is a story being told about something going very wrong or else just making it within seconds of being due on stage)) and the gist was that CH ER "took what little talent she had" - I even think the lady in question did talking heads for it herself so it won't be some obscure or cheap channel 5 clip-cluster throw together.

I do wish she'd called it Not Your Grandma's Christmas Album now.

that interview is great. the song is a ludicrous banger built for the gay clubs. no notes!

This is out today and after first listen…

:ToneNervous:

I guess at least we’ll always have “DJ Play A Christmas Song”

I can't bring myself to listen to any Christmas album in October no matter how much I like the artist. Apart from the SINGAL
Yes, I can't get excited about it yet. But there's more than enough for it to be top of my playlist when I start the wrapping :santa:

Her Santa Baby is good as she is uncharacteristically experimenting with her delivery (apparently numerous takes were done to see what they could get out of it).

The Rudolph song inexplicably works. I've read people say it's simultaneously terrible and genius, but I don't quite agree.

It's a bit late to get stuck in, but there is one good Spector-ish number that should do well for her (I think the Without You one).

Darlene's voice is a bit diminished and she can't really command the track sadly. Bit of a shame as it's my very favourite Christmas song. I hope they perform it live on some late night US chat show though (or maybe The View).

I may have to re-visit Closer to the Truth until I can get into this come mid/Late November. That was her last studio ALBAM of original material right? Its wall to wall banger/sultry gem on that :disco:

Definitely a few keepers on here that I won’t be putting on regular rotation until December, but good to scope it out in advance.

Can’t wait for the single to be a Christmas RVT staple. There’s another poppy one I quite enjoyed too.

But the highlight for me is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). My favourite Christmas song of all time. Lovely expensive production and a nice backstory to go along with it that makes it more than just a bog standard cover.

Darlene's voice is a bit diminished and she can't really command the track sadly. Bit of a shame as it's my very favourite Christmas song.
I thought this until I realised that Cher has just taken all Darlene’s best lines for herself. :D

I’m pretty sure there are parts that she blew the doors off that have been left on the cutting room floor.

A little rude not to give Cyndi a featuring credit on the excellent Angels In The Snow.

I think Darlene is kept further down in the mix for Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). This Will Be Our Year is very nice.

Angels will get some plays in the meantime, but a pin in the rest for now.

I thought this until I realised that Cher has just taken all Darlene’s best lines for herself. :D

I’m pretty sure there are parts that she blew the doors off that have been left on the cutting room floor.

I do have a highly improbable theory that they dislike each other and every meet up is like this:

The humble Home brag from Bubbles :rolleyes:

I wonder if he can easily name 5 of her albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom