Cyprus 2018: Eleni Foureira - “Fuego”

Saltwater

Ex QOTB
A lot of sites are reporting today that after being turned down by Helena Paparizou and Tamta, CyBC finally reached an agreement with Eleni Foureira to sing the song of their already signed composer Alex Papaconstantinou.

So if this true, Cyprus 2018 entry will be:

Eleni Foureira - Fuego

I saw this in some sites. Is it in Spanish? (Fuego means Fire). Not that I'm surprised as there's a Spanish song in almost every preselection. :manson:

The CyBC announces that Cyprus will be represented at the 63rd Eurovision Song Contest, to take place in Lisbon this coming May, by the popular singer in Cyprus and Greece Eleni Foureira who is represented by Panik Records.

ujrUoIA.jpg

Eleni CANNOT sing but she is a great performer, so expect a huge stage show with heavy backing vocals. Her record company are paying for everything, so it will be a bigger show than the past few years.

This sounds very promising. Hopefully it's a bit more impressive than Demy's effort for Greece last year.

She's a shit live vocals performer, but she will get her tits and legs out and that will be enough to get votes coming in.

Obviously no indication of her live vocal ability here, but I am 100% here for a performance in this vein :disco: What a TRAMP!

I will not hear a bad word said about dear Eleftheria Eleftheriou.

Reactions: D5K
Panik Records behind this as well as the Greek entry (:disco:), are they? :side-eye:

Sounds quite good but I sense generous autotune so God knows what sort of SIMONESQUE MESS she’ll be dishing up at the semi

I heard this on London Greek Radio the other day and it’s REALLY RATHER :disco:

Note sponsorship by high class slut app BADOO :side-eye:

Obviously no indication of her live vocal ability here, but I am 100% here for a performance in this vein :disco: What a TRAMP!

For some mysterious reason I now have an overwhelming urge for a CORNETTO :side-eye:

This is the song Foureira asked ERT to represent Greece with in 2016 when they turned her down over Argo - Utopian Land.
It was written by Doron Medalie (Golden Boy, Tel Aviv Ya Habibi Tel Aviv, Toy).

• Wow
Reactions: D5K
Obviously no indication of her live vocal ability here

Does it really matter? Greece and Cyprus always rely on background singers, it won't make any difference if she's MUTE as long as she dance and jump por her life.

Greece and Cyprus always rely on background singers.

While I do understand where this is coming from, it is more of a stereotype than an actual thing.
Taking into account Greek entries over the past 10 years, the ones who actually relied on back vocalists were: Sarbel, Kalomira, Eleftheria Eleftheriou and Demy.
It is even less true regarding Cyprus whose only weak vocalist was Ivi Adamou.

While I do understand where this is coming from, it is more of a stereotype than an actual thing.
Taking into account Greek entries over the past 10 years, the ones who actually relied on back vocalists were: Sarbel, Kalomira, Eleftheria Eleftheriou and Demy.
It is even less true regarding Cyprus whose only weak vocalist was Ivi Adamou.
As if Sakis didn't rely on his Cypriot background singer in Moscow during the whole performance. :what:

But yes, you're right, it's only Sarbel, Kalomira, Eleftheria Eleftheriou, Demy, Sakis and Ivi Adamou in the last 10 years. ONLY.

:basil:

Reactions: VoR
Demy getting to perform twice at last year's jury final because the first time around a technical error with the levels of the 'backing vocals' exposed the fact that she couldn't be arsed to sing the chorus of her own song was a particular highlight for me.

Fortunately she was roundly ignored regardless.

But yes, you're right, it's only Sarbel, Kalomira, Eleftheria Eleftheriou, Demy, Sakis and Ivi Adamou in the last 10 years. ONLY.

:basil:

No am not right, you are. 6 out of 20 clearly classifies as always.
I must have exaggerated when I said while I do understand where this is coming from, it is more of a stereotype than an actual thing. My bad.

In some of Cyprus' cases they didn't rely on backing vocalists but they probably should have... :basil:

Since when is it a sin to rely on backing vocals at the Eurovision? It is not a singing competition, but a song contest. If the song comes out nice, it can be one or six people singing at the same time.

Demy getting to perform twice at last year's jury final because the first time around a technical error with the levels of the 'backing vocals' exposed the fact that she couldn't be arsed to sing the chorus of her own song was a particular highlight for me.

Fortunately she was roundly ignored regardless.

Demy's case was a complete farce. The song was really bad and I only started liking it out of true and unashamed patriotism. If it was any other country's I would've totally ignored it. And yes, she couldn't sing it.

I've never understood why Ivi always got called out for bad vocals. Sure, she wasn't the strongest vocalist, but her vox were SERVICEABLE ENOUGH given the source material!

I liked her performance, but I thought that she got too passionate at some point and started shouting. The staging was what killed the song on stage, I think.

Since when is it a sin to rely on backing vocals at the Eurovision? It is not a singing competition, but a song contest. If the song comes out nice, it can be one or six people singing at the same time.

Since 1956.

If the artist cannot sing well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with judging them for it.Unless they are Eric Saade or Svetlana Loboda

What I particularly dislike is the "off-stage backing vocalist". Not sure if it's just nostalgia or if it's become a lot more common recently (has there been a rule change?). If you're going to rely on a backing vocalist at least have them visible on the stage somewhere.

If the artist cannot sing well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with judging them for it.Unless they are Eric Saade or Svetlana Loboda

Judging is in human nature.
But I don’t think it’s a sin constructing a song with backing vocals.

If you're going to rely on a backing vocalist at least have them visible on the stage somewhere.

Sometimes they are on stage but no one can see them, as I noticed in the Ivi Adamou performance. The vocalist was a black shadow on the side of the stage. Poor guy, not even his mother could ever boast to her neighbours that ‘her son sang at Eurovision’.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom