Do we have a Just Like That thread?

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
If so, I can't find it.

This has recently appeared on YouTube. It claims new mastering in 2021, but without comparing I'm not sure how different it sounds to the various mixes and bits that have been floating around out there for decades.

For the uninitiated, it was originally written in 1982 for a forthcoming (which of course never came) Abba album, but B&B weren't happy with it and discarded it. As was frequently the case, they then used a riff from it as a melody line in 'Under Attack' which was one of the new singles when 'The Singles' compilation was released in 1982 instead of a new album.

In 1985 it was recorded by the duo Gemini, on their first album, written and produced by B&B. Gemini also miraculously recorded 'Another You, Another Me' on the same album, despite B&B writing it just for H and Claire in 2002 :eyes:

Anders Glenmark, the male half of the brother/sister duo went on to write most of and produce Frida's 1996 Djupa Andetag album.

I will never understand them hating it so much. I adore it!

For the uninitiated, it was originally written in 1982 for a forthcoming (which of course never came) Abba album, but B&B weren't happy with it and discarded it. As was frequently the case, they then used a riff from it as a melody line in 'Under Attack' which was one of the new singles when 'The Singles' compilation was released in 1982 instead of a new album.

In 1985 it was recorded by the duo Gemini, on their first album, written and produced by B&B. Gemini also miraculously recorded 'Another You, Another Me' on the same album, despite B&B writing it just for H and Claire in 2002 :eyes:

Anders Glenmark, the male half of the brother/sister duo went on to write most of and produce Frida's 1996 Djupa Andetag album.

Oh thanks for the explanation because I wasn’t sure why this was cropping up in Voyage topics and hadn’t the energy to sift through posts to find out why.

Oh thanks for the explanation because I wasn’t sure why this was cropping up in Voyage topics and hadn’t the energy to sift through posts to find out why.
Yes, I realised I shouldn't assume loon levels of fandom :D

I don't love it to the extent Sheena does, but it definitely is the 'fan favourite' that Just A Notion was purported to be in the hype that surrounded the release of it. In fan circles JLT has always been the one that people are clamouring for.

Anders Glenmark also competed in Melodifestival (sometimes with his sister) seven times, twice against Abba.

• 1973 as part of Glenmarks with the song "En liten sång som alla andra" (4th place)
  • 1974 as part of Glenmarks with the song "I annorlunda land" (8th place)
  • 1975 as part of Glenmarks with the song "Lady Antoinette" (6th place)
  • 1981 with the song "Det är mitt liv – det är jag" (4th place)
  • 1984 with his sister Karin Glenmark (before this duo became known as Gemini) with the song "Kall som is" (4th place)
  • 1989 with Orup with the song "Upp över mina öron" (2nd place)
  • 2006 As a songwriter with Niklas Strömstedt with the song "Lev Livet"

That’s an awful version. Fair play to whoever made the effort to record a new backing track for it but it’s so sterile.

That's totally different to the versions I've heard before and definitely sounds like it's been through some kind of dodgy enhancer.

I think it's a fantastic track and both the chorus and the verses are stellar. The lyrics aren't great but I'm sure Bjorn could have put another morning in and improve them.

The brilliant Matt Pop remix takes it to GIDDY HEIGHTS :disco:

What a glorious shuffle and sway this song has. Not that version though.

This is the one that gives my heart a firework display of every possible ABBA-affirming emotion.

It's not a deep cut by any means, but that's the appeal as it's almost a hallucinatory signpost to what could have been from them had they kept going further into the 80s. It's simple, effective and mildly luxurious. A jewel that flickers before you.

• Love
Reactions: Hak
Benny is right that the the composition (especially the non-sax versions) feels a bit disjointed. I just think they underestimate how good the individual parts are and forgets there’s plenty of fabulously disjointed classics out there :disco:

Let's not forget B&B regret that they released Summer Night City!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom