Do What U Want DEAD after R Kelly Allegations

Iguana

If I only could...

Gaga is removing Do What U Want from all streaming services due to allegations against R Kelly (I'm sure there were allegations about him prior to the duet but anywho) to the chagrin of the MILLIONS of people still streaming it daily.

She has also pretty much said she regrets recording the song at ALL and it was written from a place of anger when she was "young" (not THAT young love) before she had "processed the trauma" of events in her life (ie. without the hindsight of the #metoo movement).

If Glenn can make a pro-feminist gesture, so can Gaga!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the Christina Aguilera version remains :shy:

I always interpreted the song as being about her being a sort of portal for the media to use as they like for their own agenda ("But then you print some shit that makes me want to scream"); "You can't have my heart and you won't use my mind" being her protection of her private self as opposed to her public image. Obviously there's a sexual element to the lyrics but I thought it was more clever than that - she seems to be suggesting now that it was meant to be purely sexual.

I note she isn't donating all past proceeds of the song to RAINN or a similar rape charity. Surely that would have made this gesture seem a little more genuine.

R. Kelly is hideous, Hollywood and the music box are hideous, that video she was going to make for it was tacky and gross, and this could be totally self-serving. But I still feel some compassion for Gaga. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes in the entertainment industry still, that would shock us. I'm sure she has struggled to know how to navigate all her own shit as well as the R Kelly shit. Women are so disempowered in this space; I always saw the song as a statement on her attempts to navigate that. I don't like her choices, but I'm not going to crucify her for them.

I do hate this being turned around on her as if it’s all about Oscar baiting. THE WHOLE WORLD HAD ENTIRELY IGNORED THIS FOR A QUARTER OF A CENTURY!

We all knew he was a total pervert, banging Aaliyah when she was 13 back in 1994. But the sex slaves and all that sordid stuff is just too much.

I don’t think this is about the Oscars, it’s because she was called out (along with many other celebrities) for not participating in the documentary which aired last week about R Kelly.

I hope the Christina Aguilera version remains :shy:

OMG THIS

I will laugh my arse off how she PROMPTLY Will put it back once she loses that fucking Oscar

Just tack on your solo version instead love, we know there's one a la Telephone.

BITCH

will Mariah follow suit removing Betcha Gonn'Know from every streaming platform? @KindaCool @dUb or is she not being nominated for anything these days?
Surely she can slip away unscathed with a little-heard bonus track

I was thinking about that today. I wonder if someone will bring it up in an interview. It's less

I don't think I can cope if Britney decides she can no longer keep Outrageous in the public domain. :(

Let’s be fair about it, “Mother of the Year 2006” Britney has probably been eyeing up which of her kids to flog to him...

I distinctly refer a female friend from university justifying why it was OK to listen to Ignition on the basis that 'we all know what thirteen year old girls are like'.

No. No, we do not.

Whereas “banging Aaliyah when she was 13 back in 1994” isn’t? :D
:D Well yes, but everybody knew that, every single artist that worked with him had to know and they just didn't care. I hope they were disgusted in secret at least. Michael Jackson probably was the exception.

-R.K: I'm shagging this 13 y.o girl
-MJ: 13? Too old for me

i am honestly confused what needs to be done in situations like this considering that there has been talk about the predatory behaviour of a lot of artists whose work i like.
sadly, i don't think i can just strike it...

it's so much easier when it's a complete cunt like chris brown.

She really doubled down with the sex pests on this single, getting 'uncle' Terry Richardson to direct the video.

So, this is going to the thing that finally convinces the youth that only 'owning' all of your music through streaming is a bad idea. I can practically hear HMV rushing all of those unsold copies of Artpop back to the shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom