Do you think the UK will collapse?

Will the UK split by 2050?

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Within say the next 25 years?

I do wonder if 12 years of a Tory government have magnified the issues of disrepair or simply exposed them?

Scottish independence seems inevitable, but it's hard to say if it's a guarantee any time soon. The Brexit divisions opened up a can of worms across the whole country, but I don't see how they'd effect the union beyond unifying the Scottish independence movement.

Ireland will no doubt become unified at some point, but that's a rupture I can't see many people willing to provoke any time soon.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Cornwall_-00003.png

There’ll be a CIVIL WAR

As an embittered EU rejectee I wish the UK would fragmentise but I don’t really see it happening so I’m voting yes.

It's over. The populations have moved too far apart. If, come the next GE, Labour win and do so without Scotland (a definite prospect given the current polling), they'll be up for it. That would be a major policy shift so it won't be in their next manifesto (2023/4, whenever it comes) but once the figures tally for Labour, they won't oppose independence. Ultimately, independence is Labour's way back into Scotland - right now, the country has little use for them and most of their vote is stubborn loyalty from older generations. Once it's done, we'll be able to look at them again and say "right, what are you bringing?" because right now it's all gameplaying and Unionist horseshit. Labour can only be a political force again in Scotland after independence. This will be on their minds too.

WE’VE ONLY GOT OURSELVES TO BLAME

the Westminster mentality really is astonishing. We’ll control everything here, thanks, we’ll let you know when you can have a bit, but not a lot, and yes we keep getting richer and looking after our own but we still rule you, because flags and queens and shit. And obviously you won’t say anything, ever. Oh also, do you mind voting for us? THANKS!

I hope Scotland doesn’t get nasty because there are still an awful lot of unionists - 40% ish pro Union and a small portion of them quite political and hardcore about it. Best thing they can do if they get independence is just come together and focus on getting back in the EU.

Similarly I’m not sure what you do about the million or so in NI who identify as British. But the fact that it’s still split just seems absurd at this point.

And yes the Tories make it much much worse.

WE’VE ONLY GOT OURSELVES TO BLAME
The blame falls squarely on the politicians that enabled a hard Brexit, the morons that voted for Brexit and Johnson, and their parents and teachers.

I know it wouldn’t have fixed everything re Scotland and Northern Ireland, but it would have helped.

Perhaps.

But now that England seems to have turned its back on the Tories, there might be hope for the Union.

The one thing I will say from abroad is that sometimes the four parts of the Union underestimate how much they have in common culturally. No one gets shitfaced like a Brit (whether Scottish, Welsh, English or Northern Irish).

I think we should make it a condition of Scottish independence that they have to take Wales with them.

Perhaps.

But now that England seems to have turned its back on the Tories, there might be hope for the Union.

The one thing I will say from abroad is that sometimes the four parts of the Union underestimate how much they have in common culturally. No one gets shitfaced like a Brit (whether Scottish, Welsh, English or Northern Irish).

Or a German. We always ignore the fact that our biggest enemy is very much our closest neighbour in terms of collective personality…

It seems likely but who knows, everything is so up in the air at the moment, and if the last 6 years had taught us anything it's that UK politics is impossible to predict.

I would be very suprised if all 4 constituent countries weren't either back in the EU(or at least aligned with it) in the next 2 decades. Whether thats as one nation or seperate states...who knows.

I think we should make it a condition of Scottish independence that they have to take Wales with them.

Sounds fine to me. We might need a wee strip of land to connect us but I quite fancy rescuing Liverpool, Morecambe and the Lake District...

• Wow
Reactions: GNL
Sounds fine to me. We might need a wee strip of land to connect us but I quite fancy rescuing Liverpool, Morecambe and the Lake District...

You can have Morecambe, and maybe the Wirral and the peaks. Don't get greedy now :angry:

You can have Morecambe, and maybe the Wirral and the peaks. Don't get greedy now :angry:

I mean, realistically, we're looking at a shuttle ferry. Can't see the Oblong Of Dreams wanting anything other than full independence.

Can we keep St Andrews, and have an East/West Berlin situation in Edinburgh? I don't think England's infrastructure would cope with all those FIRST YAHs, GAP YAHs and general YAH YAHs being deported back here at once.

I'm well up for you getting Wales as part of the deal though. Finally my Welsh ancestry will be of some use.

You'll probably get Cornwall as a Celt BOGOF as well. Then between Scotland, Wales and Cornwall you'll have all the best beaches and the English will be left with Skegness, Bognor Regis and Weston-Super-Mare.

Can we keep St Andrews, and have an East/West Berlin situation in Edinburgh? I don't think England's infrastructure would cope with all those FIRST YAHs, GAP YAHs and general YAH YAHs being deported back here at once.

Fuck, no. They're coming down in lorries and getting dumped in Milton Keynes.

I'm well up for you getting Wales as part of the deal though. Finally my Welsh ancestry will be of some use.

You'll probably get Cornwall as a Celt BOGOF as well. Then between Scotland, Wales and Cornwall you'll have all the best beaches and the English will be left with Skegness, Bognor Regis and Weston-Super-Mare.

New TV show - Herne BayWatch

Do we think Scottish Independence is inevitable now?? Is that down to the mess of the Tory government? :disco:

Do we think Scottish Independence is inevitable now?? Is that down to the mess of the Tory government? :disco:

I don't think anything is inevitable. But the Unionist vote tends to be older and is, therefore, slowly dying out. The Borders are a bit twitchy too, largely due to a perceived potential disruption.

It needs the Tories out of power. That's the wild card because we've seen England back the Tories to a bewildering level in 2019 -polls are polls; once people get into the ballot box, anything can happy.

Demographically, yeah, Indepencence is as close to a certainty as these things can be. A labour government for a term or two might reduce support a bit, but the next Tory one will probably see polls sitting firmly at the 55%+ support for independence, unless Labour can achieve transformational change in their time in government. I'm skeptical that they can.

Legoland independence NOW

Or maybe that can be a semi-autonomous Danish region like Greenland

Demographically, yeah, Indepencence is as close to a certainty as these things can be. A labour government for a term or two might reduce support a bit, but the next Tory one will probably see polls sitting firmly at the 55%+ support for independence, unless Labour can achieve transformational change in their time in government. I'm skeptical that they can.

So it is unlikely in Nicola Sturgeons tenure?

Does the SNP have any elder politicians as good as Sturgeon? She’s part of the reason for the growth of support. At least in terms of raising awareness of separating Westminster from what Scotland needs.

The two people likely to succeed her are Kate Forbes and Humza Yousaf, with an outside chance of Angus Robertson (who I imagine will actually go for deputy).

Kate Forbes is an islander, and quite Christian, so would be good for the middle ground centrist voter, but I don't think the SNP membership are that keen on her as she has some quite Christian views at times that she broadly keeps to herself, but could still mean a tack to the right for the SNP. Humza is the one I think the membership would go for.

Derek Mackay was being groomed as Sturgeons successor until he, well, was caught doing some grooming of his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom