Doctor Who - Series 13

I wonder if the flux getting reversed will be part of the story for the specials next year? I personally quite like the idea of it just becoming part of the status quo, and I suppose it doesn't REALLY change a lot going forward since we don't know exactly how much of the universe was destroyed by it.

Why the FUCK are the daleks in the New Year's episode for the THIRD CONSECUTIVE TIME? That annoyed me more than anything in the episode did. GET AN IDEA FFS.

Just caught up on this, I thought it was pretty bloody good - I'm a sucker for a time loop story, and it's something that Doctor Who surpassingly hasn't done many of :o So happy they're actually GOING THERE with Yaz, they've been teasing it for long enough. I cried a bit at that scene where she admitted it, what a sap :D

Also very here for Chinese pirates and Sea Devils :disco: in the next special! I wonder when that will air? The current thinking seems to be that Jodie's final special will air in October which is when the big BBC centenary stuff is happening, so this one will be at some point before then - possibly Easter weekend? David Tennant's specials year had one at Easter, and that's probably the closest thing we've had to their 2022 plans so I'll go with that for now...

Love how they look exactly the same :disco:
MV5BMGU4YTc1YzAtNjUwZC00ZGVhLWExMGEtYzdiNWQ5ZjNlOTkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMzMzk2Mjg@._V1_.jpg

3.21m in the overnights, down from 4.69m last year. Last year ended up with 6.247m after 7 days, so we'll see how it ends up this time. #6 show of the day behind The Tourist, The Masked Singer, Michael McIntyre's The Wheel, BBC News and Celebrity Catchphrase. I expect with catch up it will end up #3 of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: COB
Apparently viewing was also down across the board compared to New Year last year - presumably due to covid restrictions then. So perhaps we'll see a healthier bump than usual.

There seems to be a rumour floating around that the next Doctor will be none other than... David Tennant :shock: ALLEGEDLY just for the 60th anniversary special next November, with him regenerating into someone else ready for a full series in 2024.

The more I think about it I don't hate the idea - it's just the sort of big showy stunt I could see RTD using to kick off his new era of the show, and I could see Tennant relishing the chance to come back as a different version of the Doctor (as he wouldn't be the tenth Doctor but an entirely new one that could be played completely differently)...

I think the still conveys all you intended.

I think the show could probably do with a stunt now though, couldn't it? Particularly considering the number of people who saw Whittaker's casting as that.

Oh yeah I’m totally here for it

The straight up tomfoolery of the 50th anniversary really was a joy

I'm still really fond of the idea of Lydia West as the next Doctor, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a HOT STUNT CASTING before that if it's just for a one-off (whether it's David Tennant or Helena Bonham Carter or whoever else) :o

The leaker of the Tennant thing is pretty reliable

I have mixed feelings, the idea of bringing back RTD was great.. bringing them both back kind of comes across as being driven by too much nostalgia and not enough of what makes Doctor Who so good: embracing change. But if it's just for the 3 episodes it's not so bad and could be interesting. With rumours of Tate involved too, I wonder if it's an "unfinished business" kind of story where he finally manages to return her memories without her brain frying.

Fourteen is bound to have a beard and a Scottish accent. I'll be shocked if not. "Oh I managed to choose one of my favourite faces but I'm Scottish again, guess my memories got a bit jumbled..."

I suppose also it'd be a good way to get around "if they go for another male it looks like they gave up, and if they go for another female it looks like they daren't ever return to male" - just show they do dare for a few episodes and then go back to female for a bit to keep redressing the balance.

I've seen people speculating that it might be Tate as the Doctor and Tennant as the companion, which would be :disco:

Interesting casting call that people seem to be assuming is for DW (Andy Pryor has been the casting guy for all previous series and apparently isn't working on any other BBC shows at the moment):

It's rare for casting to be as public as this, but there are obviously a pretty specific set of criteria to match for this character.

Pretty much everyone already guessed the next special would air at Easter, but here's confirmation along with a slightly :disco: image:

Easter special trailer:

I'm definitely up for a bit of PIRATE FUN this Easter 🏴‍☠️

The Curse of the Black Spot is literally the episode that stopped me watching Doctor Who in 2011 for a couple of years, so I'm NOT excited by a fucking PIRATE episode.

(The Sea Devils terrified me as a kid though so I'm pleased to see them).

I haven't been able to watch tonight's special yet but OMG at that :disco: Sophie to bring MAGIC PENCIL with her please ✏️

Lovely, Ace was the companion I remember most when I was a kid.

Although I was terrified when Bonnie Langford got trapped in an exploding bubble

Not great, though moving Antiques Roadshow to BBC2 and running them against each other was a weird move. AR always gets a solid rating in the same way something like Countryfile does, it's a Sunday evening BBC staple.

Anyway, I watched the episode last night and it was... OKAY. It felt more like a mid-season filler episode than a one-off special, though I enjoyed the guest cast even if they weren't as fleshed out as they could be (a bit of a trend for this whole era really). There was some dodgy editing and effects work, though the shots of the TARDIS at the bottom of the ocean were gorgeous. The scenes between the Doctor and Yaz were the best part, there was a proper acknowledgement of their mutual feelings along with a decent reason for them not to get together; it makes sense for the Doctor to be more closed off the older they get, though I'm still hoping we get some sort of happy ending for them in the final special. Somebody online suggested a montage of them having a lifetime of adventures together until Yaz is an old woman and eventually dies with the Doctor (still young) by her side, and I keep thinking about it.

Yes, what the BBC did Antiques Roadshow is a bizarre move and it clearly cost Doctor Who in the overnights. I think it's another example (like with EastEnders) of them knowing that the show will find its audience on iPlayer and not being overly concerned with the overnights hit. It just feels odd that they chose to sabotage it itself with BBC2.

I didn't realise it was up against BGT for part of the running time as well. That is bound to have affected it considerably, particularly given it only returned the night before. Very much underlines my belief that the BBC really isn't massively concerned with the overnights for it at all.

Pre-production on the new era is apparently well underway, it all seems very secure and locked down but rumours are flying around that filming may be starting in the next week or two. Hoping this means we get an announcement about the next Doctor quite soon!

I'm not sure where it originated, but a new name started being bandied around over the past week or so. They tick a lot of boxes (including having worked with Russell T Davies quite recently like the two previous actors he cast in the role) and I would honestly be SO happy if it was them...
Jessica Hynes
It's one of those people I hadn't considered before, but I can picture it in my head and it just feels RIGHT. We'll see, I guess!

They would be fantastic and land a lot more gravitas than Whittaker I think.

I really wish we wouldn't find out until the actual regeneration scene though. They've managed to keep secrets like Barrowman's return really well. It would be similar with just one scene being filmed originally, so why not just keep it under wraps?

I'd love it as well, they've never really been able to do it before since they usually have to go right into filming the next series, which brings the problem of location shooting so they have to announce things in case they get papped. If it really is the special this October then nothing until the 60th anniversary next November, it's possibly the only time in the modern era they actually could get away with keeping it a secret until it airs :o

The problem is that we still don't know what's coming next year as they've kept it all really vague, and if they really are starting filming in the coming weeks it seems a bit early for something that won't air for another eighteen months... so it's possible there could be multiple specials in 2023, or even a series leading into a special? I'm finding the not knowing quite exciting, I think :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom