Gary Lineker taken off MotD after tweets about the Government

This, THIS, is what is important in the week our government debates being the only country other than Russia and Belarus outside of the European Convention on Human Rights?

I think it IS important. I hear what you’re saying but what it signifies is the silencing of dissenting voices from the government. It IS fucking fascism and that’s why it’s such a vitally big news story.

This story is fucking delicious. I know everyone is angry and rightly so but the way broadcasters and presenters are just calmly saying “nope, fuck you very much” and stepping away from it in solidarity while the powers that be frantically try and control the narrative is such a powerful, almost accidental movement.

I just keep thinking of how much this must be triggering the right. The realisation that lots and lots of people outside their living room / twitter bubble actually do give a shit about this and are openly saying so whether they’re famous, important or otherwise.

It just shows the Tories up as being on the wrong side of the fence. Whether you agree with it or not, you can’t deny it. The simplicity of it is perfect, it’s organic, you couldn’t engineer this story if you tried.

People tuning in to witness what a MESS it’ll be is hardly a win for the BBC though, they’re not a commercial broadcaster so don’t stand to gain from the outrage.

Reactions: GNL
Oh i agree, it's just an interesting side note.

Maybe all the footballers will go on strike too. Fuck it, maybe I'll go on strike. GENERAL STRIKE FOR LINEKER

Whilst I’m obviously enjoying watching Auntie drown in a puddle of her own sick, what I’m enjoying most is the Tories completely losing control of the narrative.
The is a powerful statement by people with a huge amount of influence on the Tories’ core demographic, and they’re realising their ‘Lineker should apologise’ line is not a sentiment shared by vary many people.
They’re not angry because they were accused of being nazis, they’re angry because someone pointed it out.

Reactions: GNL
Look, our bingo cards are all completely fucked - if anyone had "Gary Lineker brings down the Tory Government", well done. Absolutely here for it.

So the latest BBC statement infers that he wasn’t suspended because of the Nazi comparison, it was the fact that he was making a political comment

That’s WORSE. You can’t stop employees, particularly freelancers which Gary is, from having opinions on things. Because, funnily enough, it’s reminiscent of a political party in 1930s Germany :eyes:

He’s being punished because he’s high profile. They wouldn’t care if Dave in accounting said he didn’t like Kier Starmer. You can’t do that either.

Fuck them.

Also he’s not a NEWS broadcaster. They have plenty of guests on political panel and commentary shows that give very strong opinions. He wasn’t even on the BBC when he said it, he wasn’t even on TV FULL STOP

It was his personal fucking account. What’s next, sacking him for being overheard telling his postman that he thinks Rishi is useless?

Fuck off.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Is this a different bbc? Why are they reading themselves

Is this a different bbc? Why are they reading themselves

This is why I will always support the BBC in a general sense. How many other organisations would do this?

Or this :disco:

20230311_142857.jpg

Hopefully Keith will restore a lot of the independence to the BBC by reversing the changes that made the government appoint the chairman and board. The BBC has got markedly worse since the government started exerting so much direct control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom