Gina G - Fresh! (1997)

Score out of 10

• Total voters

straightorbroken

rebel heart
gina_g_gallery_4.jpg

The sheer momentous opulence of Gina G's iconic Fresh! album was impossible to top. The fact that the strawberry blonde singer never got her shot to try is besides the point - combining coquetish glamour with radiant drag-identified femininity and serving it with rampant, frothy Hi-NRG signified a unique liberation for camp gays everywhere. Hook subsiding meaning notwithstanding, Gina's girly but never quite trite delivery always expressing erotic longing, an insatiable appetite for admiring hot boys, energetic distress and hair-tossing abandon on the G-A-Y stage for years to come.

20638_303817402107_46380372107_4069641_7716681_n.jpg

Camp emergency siren Ooh Ahh ... Just A Little Bit is every bit as gushing as I'm In The Mood For Dancing or Kelly Marie's Feels Like I'm In Love especially, but far more exuberant. Like those other singles, the song is uncoverable - it remains the singers heartbeat-skipping theme tune whether she likes it or not. The kinetic production travels fast, the beats violating your right for consent. The frolicsome, giddy carnage wouldn't mean a thing without Gina sucking us right in: 'you're my love, you're my sweetest thing' is delivered before you can catch your breath.

14669_186057492107_46380372107_3554203_7214855_n.jpg

The title-track Fresh! with airy pants-off panting and a rippling guitar riff, all deliberately echoing a jingle with 1950s catchprasing, conveying bathing suit glamour in heels. The funky Bayside Boys remix yanks the Macarena bassline from under your feet and it's a perfect fit for those revolving 'whoooh-oh-oh-whoah-oh-oh' bits. It's ageing worse than Julie Goodyear in HD though, but I still love this one.

14669_186047527107_46380372107_3554113_6960889_n.jpg

Flemenco flutterer Ti Amo bats its lashes in the direction of La Isla Bonita, applying an extra layer of pining euro-pop fantasia. The more bombastic Bayside Boys, more fiesty Basstown, and more better Metro 'Summer of Love' edits infinitely indulge the romantic sense of getting pregnant in Ibiza.

14669_186047507107_46380372107_3554110_6504882_n.jpg

Just like her fans, Everytime I Fall is helplessly passive. The Todd Terry radio edit and Metro remix offer the song's definative experiences. Follow The Light doesn't quite erupt into a poppers o'clock banger, but Gina's sense of direction is worth listening to even if it might get you run over.

14669_186057477107_46380372107_3554200_5409029_n.jpg

The immodestly hormonal dispersal of Gimme Some Love is standard fare gear-shifting Hi-NRG, no more no less, but the Eurobeat single edit remedies this with a flush of sweeping whoooshing disco lubrication. The perfect vehicle for a swift vocal style that craves a fast melody so you don't have to think about its limitations too much.

3273_75249027107_46380372107_2197967_7102871_n.jpg

The ecstatic disco heart-attack Rhythm of My Life, compels a lapse in diplomacy when Gina blurts out 'my brother doesn't like you, my sister thinks you're cool' which is on par with the magnificently pugnacious opening line to Jellyhead By Crush ('so what if your jeans are torn, they've been torn since Bros were cool'). Manufactured from Motiv8's already existing Rocking For Myself, one can't hold it against Gina when she's on particularly forthcoming form.

3273_75248402107_46380372107_2197951_7298754_n.jpg

The sumptuous I Belong To You glides with glossy production wherein her unquenchable desire accommodates Roadways surfing electronica, as she blushes, 'like a river to the sea'. The telegraphic precision of the lyrics, usurping jaccuzzi of eurodance, and Gina's heartwarming reassureance all equal a nervous overload of vanishing point euphoria. Gina's cool, brittle and enticing vocals hyperventalate once more on the anthemic Higher Than Love. One of the many opportunities for a single.

shot46.jpg

On an album largely consumed by an inability to control one's emotions around other hot people, Gina's cautious guard on the wintry mid-tempo ballad It Doesn't Mean Goodbye is the only song where she seems to reveal a genuine human being beyond the killer hook and killer heels. Not merely pretty (which it most definately is), the singer's inner turmoil is illuminated by beaming synths sharply ignited with a tender melancholy. It's an ironic send off given her subsequent career nosedive, and whenever I hear Gina's final whisper 'it doesn't mean goodbye' I can't help but cry out loud 'oh but it did Gina'. The track plays on her best qualities - her perfumey voice creates a genuine mist of pathos, searching for answers.

Gina's Fresh! surpasses most greatest hit compilations.

Last edited:
Always one LP that escaped my GRASP. That awful cover put me RIGHT OFF.

As you all know I'm incredibly BUTCH but that album contains some LIFE ANTHEMS. Gimme Some Love and Higher Than Love are orgasmic.

I LOVE IT (non-shock)

Ti Amo is genuinely a great pop song IMO. As is Ooh Aah, obv.

In 2008 in Belgrade, there was a Serbian language cover of Ti Amo playing on the radio.

This is an album of GIDDY HIGHS and rubbish lows.

I think it's pretty solid throughout. Even the ballads are still Europop nonsense. Admittedly the whole thing might be a bit MUCH in one sitting, but I've certainly enjoyed each and every track over the years.

Having about 8* mixes of Ti Amo EACH on CD1 and CD2 of the single was VERY NECESSARY.

*probably not actually anywhere near 8 but still quite a few.

Let's FACE IT. Ooh Aah included it was FORCED POP with hardly a worthy HOOK in SIGHT.

I do love Ooh Ahh. The rest cannot really be said for her other singles.

Oh to me the album is a total fluke, she's never really came close to re-creating herself as a valid dance/pop star apart from her song Heaven. Her new single Next 2 U is nice and appealing, but the hooks ARE minimal, yes, but it's all about the production and style of it all allowing her to get away with it.

For those that have missed it the album has finally been fixed on Digital and 4 of the singles are online now too with the others to follow. Eurovision gays are ecstatic

Let's face it considering SOME of the TAT that Eurovision gays get ecstatic about that's no recommendation

For those that have missed it the album has finally been fixed on Digital and 4 of the singles are online now too with the others to follow. Eurovision gays are ecstatic

Now we just need to campaign for her to re-upload the original Next 2 U music video where she gets trolleyed (not in the Tracy Shaw sense) and has a threesome with two twins.

So there are whispers Ms. Gardiner has something planned for the Autumn.

Meanwhile:

12 Ooh Ahh ... Just A Little Bit
12 Fresh
12 Ti Amo
10 Everytime I Fall (Todd Terry and Metro mixes are 12s)
12 Follow the Light
10 Gimme Some Love (Eurobeat edit is a 12)
12 Rhythm of my Life
05 Missing You Like Crazy
12 I Belong To You
12 Higher Than Love
12 It Doesn't Mean Goodbye

*faints*

So there are whispers Ms. Gardiner has something planned for the Autumn.

Meanwhile:

12 Ooh Ahh ... Just A Little Bit
12 Fresh
12 Ti Amo
10 Everytime I Fall (Todd Terry and Metro mixes are 12s)
12 Follow the Light
10 Gimme Some Love (Eurobeat edit is a 12)
12 Rhythm of my Life
05 Missing You Like Crazy
12 I Belong To You
12 Higher Than Love
12 It Doesn't Mean Goodbye

*faints*
Ms G has literally disappeared without a trace as far as I could tell, when I lost several hours over lockdown trying to trace her. She lives in LA with a rich husband and kids and ran some low key, possibly crafts company.

If she's back I'd like an explanation as to where she's been.

SCREAMING at the PMs from 10 years ago where someone I couldn't possibly name or suggest rented a flat from her calling her a cunt and "ooh ahh just got little tits". Oh gosh, what an icon (same goes for Gina :basil: )

SCREAMING at the PMs from 10 years ago where someone I couldn't possibly name or suggest rented a flat from her calling her a cunt and "ooh ahh just got little tits". Oh gosh, what an icon (same goes for Gina :basil: )
It doesn’t take much searching to establish which former member of this parish that was (and I’m not talking about Milkybarkid!)

No, this should be in the classics. I think the "music for gayers" is not very 2022 and I do not endorse it.

Just A Little Bit Ooh Ahh GIF by Andrew and Pete

This album is crying out for a DELUXE VINYL REISSUE

Your wish has been granted!

I am quite tempted by the opportunity to have that REVOLTING cover hanging proudly on my wall. :D

The new song is a ballad. There is one more that isn't there: Spirits Fly. Another shame is to not have included some of the demos that were very different to the eventual album edits (Everytime I Fall in particular).

Anyway, this is the pinnacle of 90s dance as far as any act releasing a studio album in this genre is concerned, challenged perhaps only by the even steadier flow of sturdy bangers that is Corona's Rhythm of the Night, Cher's Gina G-chasing Believe (Fresh! was the blueprint least we forget) and belatedly by the embellished re-release of Dannii's Girl.

Oh my G though - I caved and got both, so to have that iconic artwork in vinyl form will be absolutely unreal. I wonder if she'll resurface to touch base with the fans.

I know reissue pricing has changed a lot in recent years, but twenty eight pounds for two CDs and a DVD feels a tough sell for me.

I wanna get FRESH with you baby
I wanna do all the things that TURN YOU ON

:disco:

Last edited:
I’ve said it before, but Ti Amo was so Mi Chico Latino before Mi Chico Latino.

I’m pleased to see it’s now her (distant) second most streamed song despite missing the top ten at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom