Ireland 2022: Brooke - That’s Rich

Who should Ireland send?

• Brendan Murray - Real Love

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I just turned to everyone in the room and went “okay shut up about your times tables for a second and listen to THIS” and by the key change this little girl put her hand up and said “but I thought masterpieces weren’t allowed in Eurovision??”

I love how the last 5 seconds of that lyric video presents Rachel's face as some kind of BIG REVEAL
Can't wait for the video to end on a Beautiful Song-esque nods "yes - it's me" :disco:

I just turned to everyone in the room and went “okay shut up about your times tables for a second and listen to THIS” and by the key change this little girl put her hand up and said “but I thought masterpieces weren’t allowed in Eurovision??”
Why is she not LYING ON THE FLOOR UNABLE TO GET UP?!

EXPEL HER!!

I agree with not sending something that sounds IRISH!!! Irish but I think something that links into an aspect of people’s perception of Ireland is the way to go, musicianship for example. As much as it’s not my thing, *person with instrument* could feel authentically Irish in a way that might connect across the continent. Obviously as long as the song is good enough. I’d advise against trying to compete with the big pop bangers. 🥴

People's perception of Ireland is a positive one, so if the song is good I don't see why they should distance themselves from an added bonus (ie oh how lovely they've used their tradition on this they truly are one of a kind). But on the other hand if the song is mediocre or even bad this can work against them (ie aaargh why did they have to waste this lovely *irish element* on this) cause putting in an element people already know and love can be a two-edged sword. It depends on the actual value of the song.

If they're allowing Brendan another shot, I hope Michael Rice's submission has made it in

People's perception of Ireland is a positive one, so if the song is good I don't see why they should distance themselves from an added bonus (ie oh how lovely they've used their tradition on this they truly are one of a kind). But on the other hand if the song is mediocre or even bad this can work against them (ie aaargh why did they have to waste this lovely *irish element* on this) cause putting in an element people already know and love can be a two-edged sword. It depends on the actual value of the song.
The more the years go by - and especially after the 2021 contest - the more I accord with @Pingu's view that there's quite a big hunger among voters for something that feels like a good, recognisable reflection of each country's national culture (even if last year that trend was helped along a bit by their other base level desire for a good pop song being split across a glut of them)

I'm Loving Me could be my favourite song that's ever been associated with Eurovision and Ireland.

CHRIST ON A BIKE

Astral Projection Sleep GIF by bbsquirrel247
Riot Games Stars GIF by VALORANT

That lyric video is so glam too, it’s like that alright “city don’t care” song from ASFM but moving and amazing.

I really hope it makes it, fuck the rest. When was the last decent 80s synthy entry that was good? I don’t mean that Polish abomination last year

It's written by the same team! :D

Well that explains some of it. I actually quite liked the song, but the performance was a load of bollocks and that twat with the sunglasses trying to get the audience to sing the song doesn’t really work if there’s hardly any audience and nobody knows the song

That lyric video is so glam too, it’s like that alright “city don’t care” song from ASFM but moving and amazing.

I really hope it makes it, fuck the rest. When was the last decent 80s synthy entry that was good? I don’t mean that Polish abomination last year
@RJN represented Denmark LAST YEAR!

• Care
Reactions: RJN
How anthemic! I love. The Rachel Goode song that is

While 'I'm Loving Me' works as a lyric video, more often than not those 80s synth pop songs don't translate when performed live.

While 'I'm Loving Me' works as a lyric video, more often than not those 80s synth pop songs don't translate when performed live.
Especially in the atmosphere vacuum that is the Late Late Show studio.

As long as they steer clear of DÉCOUPAGE this time it will all be fine.

• Haha
Reactions: D5K
This morning’s one is great! Very The Mamas. JANET UP

And with the dUb Seal of Approval, the sky's the limit :disco:

Bit of a 'This Is Me' knock-off, but yes, streets ahead of the other two.

• Love
Reactions: dUb
This is apparently tomorrow’s song:

I really like the sound of I’m Loving Me, to be fair. I’ve not bothered listening to Brendan Murray because if it’s anything like his last one it’ll just sound like Beaker from the Muppets straining for a poo.

Not a massive fan of that Janet one, it’s very generic Eurovision. That’s Rich sounds more promising but so far my allegiance lies with I’m Loving Me

On today’s show, Ryan said tomorrow’s song is by someone called Brooke so this must be song 4. Very current sounding, wonder if the late late show audience will take to it :o

I haven’t heard of her, but apparently she got to the final of The Voice UK

It’s the go-to schlager chord progression, there are probably a dozen others that use it.

Can you name more, I find it very interesting but know nothing about it
It’s 6-4-1-5 and is known as the “sensitive girl chord progression” apparently but let’s call it the “dramatic Schlager pop chord progression” in a Eurovision context…

These bangers all use it:

You can sing Hero along with the choruses of all of those…

In fact someone should do a mash-up of all the dramatic schlager 6415ers… these are just the ones that come to mind, I’m sure Melodifestivalen is flooded with them.

Dana International - Ding Dong uses a slightly adjusted version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom