Israel 2024: Eden Golan - Hurricane

OK so here's what's going to happen. I've moved this into a new thread for the performer/song just like any other country. Obviously there are a lot of strong feelings about Israel's participation this year. My suggestion is that conversations about whether Israel may or may not / should or should not be participating at all be held in the other thread.

As for this one, people should choose for themselves whether or not they wish to acknowledge or engage with Israel's entry and any discussion around it, but keep wider political conversation out of it. I hope that's a fair solution.

Any indication on when we will hear the song?

March 11th supposedly for the song.

Everything else aside, I’m mildly surprised they’ve stuck with their talent show - it seems quite an ask for a total newcomer with zero media experience to take on everything that will come with being their entry this year. Somebody more experienced might’ve made more sense from that point of view.

Everything else aside, I’m mildly surprised they’ve stuck with their talent show - it seems quite an ask for a total newcomer with zero media experience to take on everything that will come with being their entry this year. Somebody more experienced might’ve made more sense from that point of view.
She isn't a total newcomer. This isn't the first talent show that she has participated in.

Same point - she's hardly going to be equipped to deal with what she'll have to.

Last edited:
October Rain? That seems like an odd choice…

That’s got to be either a bad joke from social media or a deliberate provocation?

That’s got to be either a bad joke from social media or a deliberate provocation?
I suspect it's genuine. But also it's not really per se a direct provocation - or arguably necessarily even foul of the rules at all - if the focus of the track is, well, the grief and mourning that has come out of one if the most traumatic days most of the Israeli public has experienced in the nation's history. At least, nobody normally seems to think so when Armenia have sent similar entries conceptually in the past.

(and no, before anyone starts, the 'October rain' in question probably isn't going to be a metaphor for bombing.)

Not sold on the ‘Crystal Ball ESC Exclusive’ ad libs.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it qualifies but it’s not a good song.

It'll surely qualify - they only need to get a handful of points from every country which seems highly likely. But it's total filler. Who could possibly have predicted that endlessly watering down your material to make a point would result in a weak end product?

I think they're definitely qualifying (almost regardless), it'll be a real challenge for the producers to mask crowd noise during the quiet bits though!

Hoping for a NQ, semi 2 is looking quite strong especially if Armenia and Georgia send something competitive.

It'll surely qualify - they only need to get a handful of points from every country which seems highly likely.
I think this is probably right (although neither Germany or UK are voting in its semi. France is though).

Quite interesting that they've eschewed the Mizrahi instrumental flourishes they usually reflexively reach for in putting together Israeli entries for Eurovision. I mean, the Hebrew aside (and even THEN!) that could be a Maltese entry - and probably a failed national finalist at that.

Not necessarily too much of a surprise though. It suits just about everyone's interests in the event of just about every outcome for this to be as generic as possible. The national brand is likely about to come in for a mauling (and an accompanying backlash of support) - better not to have national cultural signatures associated in the rancour. And good to have the excuses in early, grievance over such strong protest against "such an inoffensive entry" in pocket if needed, and "look it wasn't our best, obviously we can do much better" as the pep talk after if the national discourse hits a "Europe hates us we should just pull out!!" post-mortem

Well it's not like there's many doing that basic type of ballad so it might slip through regardless of anything else. Hopefully not.

Do we think their public vote (or jury, for that matter) is going to be somewhat quashed this year, or actually even elevated more than usual? If the latter does come into play, I would hope elements of the former cancels it out...

Pretty sure there’ll be enough people motivated to vote for them out of a sense of solidarity for them to pick up low-mid points from a lot of countries.

The juries will probably be mixed. Some people will mark it down, some up.

It will win the public vote. I just hope there are enough jurors who will put it absolutely rock bottom to mitigate for that. Judging by the leak, it doesn’t seem to have much musical merit at least.

This sounds like a Demi Lovato album track (not a rock version).

It will win the public vote.
I don't see it. Israel is not going to have the same strength of feeling as Ukraine did, nor is this song even close to the quality of Stefania.

It will do better than it has any right to, but I don't see it winning

Yeah my guess is a comfortable qualification and somewhere between 80-150 televotes, low-mid jury and a midtable overall finish.

I wouldn't rule out a massive televote. There only needs to be a relatively small but significant amount of people in support of Israel to create a series of unbeatable sets of 12 points.

It will win the public vote.

Fucking hell...really?

I can imagine some outpouring of support (in sheer defiance rather than sympathy is the only reason I can see, they're not the ones being invaded here), but I would hope there would be enough people who might have originally voted who now won't to cancel that out. At worst, hopefully no more than what @VoR suggested about mopping up a few points

If they win the public vote (with that nothingy song as well) that will actually be horrifying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom