Labour: The Keir Starmer years

Sir Keir's won - are you happy with this outcome?

• Total voters
Sir KEITH has gotten some heat today from some circles for ruling out PR in the manifesto.

Frustrating/unsuprising and dissapointing but I would imagine that the right wing press would have a field day with Labour if they formally backed PR, especially at this moment in opposition, even though its desperately needed

Sir KEITH has gotten some heat today from some circles for ruling out PR in the manifesto.

Frustrating/unsuprising and dissapointing but I would imagine that the right wing press would have a field day with Labour if they formally backed PR, especially at this moment in opposition, even though its desperately needed
I'd love him to be defiantly pro-PR and anti-Brexit, but it would make absolutely no sense for him to do that when Labour are trying to capitalise on the implosion of the Tories.

I actually think this green growth plan is quite clever. It harks back to the good old days of industrial Britain, where men made stuff and drank pints of bitter, thus appealing to the red wall boomers. It's pro-environment, so appeal to the yute, throw in the angle that they want to do it to thwart the likes of Putin and you're really stopping the right wing rags going in hard.

The right wing rags will go in hard anyway. They spent weeks trying to make a photo of Starmer with a bottle of beer into a thing when Johnson was bang to rights for holding multiple parties. They'll find their angle somewhere.

I think he's smashing it. He's never going to get into power without appealing to former Labour voters, whether they're red wall or Blair era Labour voters. And every statement feeds into that. He doesn't need to appeal to every corner of the party at this stage.

Of course, I'd rather he'd vocalise his support for left wing policies, but if it means he knocks the Tories out of power, all power to him.

The right wing rags will go in hard anyway. They spent weeks trying to make a photo of Starmer with a bottle of beer into a thing when Johnson was bang to rights for holding multiple parties. They'll find their angle somewhere.
He's actually done fantastically well deflecting the minimal shit the Tories have on him.

He just said it wasn't a priority, ie lets get in power and then fuck shit up.

I think we need to remember that even though things are looking good for Labour winning the next GE(as of right now), it will probably be a minority government/coalition/waver thin majority making it very hard for them to pass meaningful legislatiom and laws...and the right wing press will have their knives out from the off.

Part of the battle will be making sure a left wing coalition doesn't put a foot wrong and gets reelected again in 2028/9.

It's a step back from the facism we are headed towards yes(it they get in), but its one of many steps we need to take and regardless of the result of the next GE, the UK(or whatevers left of it) is in for a turbulent decade.

He's actually done fantastically well deflecting the minimal shit the Tories have on him.

Which is because it's minimal. Johnson's attempts to smear him were so schoolboyish that any half-decent ammo was squandered. A lot more could have been made of perceived failures in the CPS but Johnson went straight for "raaaah! JImmy Savile! Raaaaah!" and blew it.

I think he's smashing it. He's never going to get into power without appealing to former Labour voters, whether they're red wall or Blair era Labour voters. And every statement feeds into that. He doesn't need to appeal to every corner of the party at this stage.

Of course, I'd rather he'd vocalise his support for left wing policies, but if it means he knocks the Tories out of power, all power to him.
He has such a low bar to achieve. If this is smashing it then I despair.

Starmer is calculating that everyone will just swallow it and vote Labour. Well, he's wrong. In particular, if he doesn't get behind the workers, he might find himself struggling more than he expects. It just needs someone else to step into that space (the Lib Dems, for example) and he's in trouble.

Is this on the back of the absolutely abysmal performance of Avanti, who backhanded their way into replacing Virgin after 20 glorious years, who had no reason to lose their contracts and had no desire to, other than they (allegedly) refused to comply with the systemic corruption of National Rail?

HMMM

Even the most hardcore Tories I know are slagging these shithouses off. They're utterly fucked and lack anyone competent or moral enough to hoist them out of the mire.
This is, obviously, the reason why a general election is so necessary, but also the reason that they'll move heaven and earth to delay one for as long as possible.

Who put a rocket under Labour this week, bloody hell

Have to say, while it took a minute, their timing is on point…

Don’t get excited, Starmer is near certain to reject the PR thing, at least for now.

The bits I've seen of his speech seem positive. On first listen the Great Britain Energy company sounds like a positive idea.

They seem to have the advantage right now. If only the election was sooner.

an interesting analysis in the Observer today of why a Labour majority is still far from a given, even if the Tories' deep unpopularity sustains until an election

Good article and it IS uphill. The one thing I'd say was that 2019 was basically a one issue election and the vote reflected that. A LOT has happened since and very quickly. I could see an Attlee style swing. People want change after some really shit times and the Tories aren't the change anymore.

It really should be stressed how difficult it is to go from one majority government to a different majority government at a single general election. The last time it happened was 1970.

It really should be stressed how difficult it is to go from one majority government to a different majority government at a single general election. The last time it happened was 1970.
Technically Major won a majority in 1992. Although that was obviously wiped by 1997. And if I were to really pick points, Wilson won a small majority in October 74.

Last edited:
Technically Major won a majority in 1992. Although that was obviously wiped by 1997. And if I were to really pick points, Wilson one a small majority in October 74.
Indeed, Major didn’t have a majority by the time the 1997 election was called. No one had a majority before the Oct 74 election.

Is it an All Women Shortlist? Duffield promised to resign if Izzard gets selected to an All Women Shortlist seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom