madonna-madona.gif
tumblr_mc0ipe8sDG1rdvrmio1_500.gif

20. Hey You
19. Revolver
18. Me Against the Music
17. Miles Away
15. American Pie
15. American Life

The semi dull three from American Life (Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Love Profusion) and Give It 2 Me...

Celebration is bargain bin trance and yet my temperature will forever rise for those production splashes of the chorus and those utterly gorge backing vocal groans that accompany the bridges. AN INVITATION TO THE DANCE OF LIBE. Not to mention the judicious talky part.

So I'll keep that tat and try again to oust 4 Minutes and Give. The former certainly shows at least some effort from Timbaland, but it tries to deliver something big above all else and ultimately is a miss. I just don't think Madge was giving the vocals for this album to properly stand up. Gloria's Havana album is a very worthwhile/reductive comparison as she pulls off some really stunning and accomplished moments with Pharrell. Such a shame that Hard Candy is so production line when there are some tiny glimmers of greatness of what could have been with more care, nuance and attention to detail. Pop music off the rack meant Madge was now off the pedestal, which just isn't good enough for the Queen of Pop.

Imagine voting out Give It 2 Me before fucking Celebration and 4 Minutes. I don't have to imagine because I'm on Moopy.

Nothing Fails quietly taking a bow is the bigger controversy (and we all know the most controversial thing we can all do is not die - remember her short-lived fondness for listing dead people who weren't still alive like she kind of is :zombie:/:laugh:). The Jason Nevins remix still gives me the disco shivers, and is possibly my favourite keeper from the whole era.

Having just reminded myself of the order of her singles discography, Celebration appears to be the final time she knew who her audience was. It was certainly the last one I actively liked, not that that's necessarily an indication. Obviously Girl Gone Wild and Revolver (#130 in the UK! :D) provided some comedy and I do love the Offer Nissim remix of the former but those aside :eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom