Mariah Misc 2020

The Genius interview is the best interview I've ever watched. Of anyone. You could tell she WANTED to do it. It wasn't just soulless promo. Her lyrics and her melodies are her domains and they're her true loves.

I've never found visual queens that exciting. If the artistry isn't there, then it's just hot air.
Music seems to be only a cover-up for what they really wanna show the world. And I can't help but feel a tinge of disrespect at that.

Reactions: dUb
Mariah's quarantine Instagram Stories really are everything.

Brushing Ms Monroe's pink Stupid Love wig, all the while enveloped in a ninja mask + kimono, while pre-lockdown mobility bop Migrate booms in the background.

This is her legacy. To be celebrated and appreciated for every single circumstance imaginable.

She'll play during the corona defeat. She'll play during World War 3. She'll play at the fucking apocalypse :disco:

She’s celebrating each song from The Emancipation because of its anniversary. Today a live rendition of scream-a-thon Your Girl :disco:

Actually after watching that, it deserves to be posted another 3 times at least :disco:

wow, Hero was beyond. She sounds fucking great. I wish she'd do more

She’s celebrating each song from The Emancipation because of its anniversary. Today a live rendition of scream-a-thon Your Girl :disco:

Omg that's brilliant. She sounds less nasal and she isn't breaking up her notes as often anymore.

I want more of these quarantine performances.

Praying for a 3 months lockdown in USA, to give Mariah enough time to do live her entire back catalogue :disco:

It's certainly looking that way. Our schools are rumored to be out for the rest of the school year at the minimum.

Fantasy set-list:

Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
#Beautiful
Vanishing
Caution
Thank God I Found You / Make It Last
The Roof
Close My Eyes
When You Believe
Petals
The Wind

It's so interesting that that song is her most Tommy-appropriate song, and yet it was on the ONE album before their relationship started.

Also, if we're not gonna have Fourth of July and Stay the Night on the setlist, then what are we really doing here?

I’ve just been reading the new Billboard interview. I didn’t know she loved Fly Like A Bird so much.

She fucking loves is. She's always said that her gospel songs are special to her. And I think she pushed for it to be a single at the time.

It's a mammoth anthem that's above all rating systems.

Whilst not quite unleashing the 90s vocals you can sky dive down, I've just seen her Always Be My Baby and it really touched me. She had her spark back.

I gave Emancipation a spin this morning for the first time in years to celebrate its 15th anniversary. I'd always felt that, despite its globe-conquering reputation, that it was actually one of her weaker post-90s albums. However, this morning's listen particularly revealed the charms of those organic 70s-esque cuts (Circles, I Wish You Knew), meanwhile the first two singles remain utter fire. And Fly Like A Bird is still a religious service that your church could never. So overall, still not my fave album, but bitch still served.

I adore Emancipation. I would say it, along with Mary J's The Breakthrough and Toni's Libra the same year, was the album that got me not just into Mariah but R&B generally. Before that I'd been pretty much strictly a pop/dance-pop queen. The comeback divas* really BROADENED my SPECTRUM :disco: it's still my favourite MC record.

(*poor Toni)

I love R&B before everything else, so Emancipation of Mimi is her best album for me. Apart from the amazing singles, Stay the Night and I Wish You Knew are enormous staples for me. They're so smooth and so flirty, but there's also that feeling of forlornness that puts it above the rest.

Ranking her albums is difficult for me... I know that Butterfly and Caution take the top two slots. They're both mood albums of the quiet storm variety, and I think this is where she truly excels. I will give it a whirl...
  1. Butterfly
  2. Caution
  3. Emotions
  4. Daydream
  5. Mariah Carey
  6. Music Box
  7. Rainbow
  8. E=MC2
  9. The Emancipation of Mimi
  10. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
  11. Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
  12. Glitter
  13. Charmbracelet

Rainbow, Emancipation, E=MC and Memoirs all have multiple absolutely killer, career-bests, but they start to become inconsistent. The bottom three still contain one or two real gems (#Beautiful, Loverboy, I Know What You Want - although that's a stretch), but on the whole I don't like them much as albums.

Last edited:
1. Butterfly - enough said. "The Roof", "My All", "Breakdown", "Fourth of July", are all in my Mariah top ten forever.
2. Emotions - Her strongest vocals, and melodies (up until Butterfly), before the schmaltz (see "Hero") really took over.
3. Daydream - a nice crossroads between the ballad songstress and R&B influences that were to take over. I have a newfound love for "Underneath the Stars" lately.
4. Emancipation of Mimi - I HATE Jermaine Dupri, but the two lead singles, "Fly Like a Bird", "Stay the Night", "Say Somethin'" are my highlights.
5. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel - This was such an inspired breakthrough after the hit-chasing that was E=MC2. Queen of breakup albums even when she was happily married (for then).
6. Mariah Carey - Not a huge fan of the uptempos ("Prisoner" aside) but the ballads are classics. "Vanishing" might be my favorite Mariah song or top five.
7. Music Box - her imperial era, "Anytime You Need a Friend", "Dreamlover", "Everything Fades Away", are undeniable.
8. E=MC2 - a fun album for Summer even though it is her most dated album , perhaps, along with Rainbow
9. Caution - I still probably have not given it enough listens. It's her most consistent album in years, and doesn't overstay its welcome, but lacking a knockout moment for me
10. Rainbow - this has aged so poorly compared to the R&B-pop on Butterfly. Same influences but this one was clearly a rush job/not a labor of love like what came before. Still, "Petals," "Can't Take That Away", "Bliss," "Heartbreaker" are highlights. This was a fun campaign too with the Bianca interviews, and her last breath of commercial invincibility.
11. Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse - this is such an odd collection of songs given that each track was basically given buzz single treatment at some point, love "Meteorite", "Beautiful", "You Don't Know What to Do," etc, but a messy campaign
12. Glitter - It's not that bad, etc.. but I think she should have stepped back and only contributed 4-5 tracks a la Madonna "Who's That Girl" to avoid the pressure she felt.
13. Charmbracelet - ugh the whispering , I only go back to "Boy (I Need You)". Also "Through the Rain" is like my least favorite Mariah single next to "Bye Bye"

Last edited:
Emotions is really the hidden gem in her 90s Imperial run. Emotions and Make It Happen slaying us with those early 90s house/disco-inflected bops (although these two pop hardest on Unplugged), If It's Over and If You Don't Remember giving us Carole King-esque female singer-songwriter tees, Can't Let Go and Til The End of Time doing their atmospheric sadness thing, and The Wind being quite unique in her canon even through to today.

POP!, you really need to give Caution some more spins. It's such a cohesive, end-to-end experience, and contains some of her best work in The Distance, Giving Me Life and Portrait.

That Hero live perf still shows why I stand her "live" nowadays in small doses, post-2012 or whatever she has adopted this annoying thing of singing some runs in a start-stop fashion which only reveals she can't either hit the note or maybe she runs out of breath? Especially the word HERO. (And no, this is not melisma I'm referring to)
I hope I'm making myself clear. Love you still Mariah. :disco:

POP!, you really need to give Caution some more spins. It's such a cohesive, end-to-end experience, and contains some of her best work in The Distance, Giving Me Life and Portrait.

I've just started spinning Caution. :geek:

SO are we claiming "GTFO" or was it a lapse in judgment? I quite like it as an opening statement more than anything else.

GTFO is the only song on Caution that's below 8/10 for me. The rest of the album is a diamond studded classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom