MARINA - Electra Heart sync & general chat

Sometimes I ignore you
So I feel in control
Cause really, I adore you
And I can't leave you alone

Ok this is my rediscovery of the album so far. The lyrics!

you don't love me
big fucking deal
I'll never tell

you how I feel

there are a few songs on this album I feel could exist outside of the Electra Heart conceit on a regular/non-concept album and this is one of them. ugh it's so good I can even forgive rhyming role with role.

and that middle 8... yes mama.

09 Starring Role

The way she sings the chorus
It almost feels like a JOKE

Like a woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown
On the edge of a cliff
Statuesque
Serene
And mad.

The way she sings the chorus
It almost feels like a JOKE

Like a woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown
On the edge of a cliff
Statuesque
Serene
And mad.
big nervous breakdown vibes. although tbh when is Marina not serving those? :eyes:

I dunno if "The State Of Dreaming" holds up quite as well. It's good but it's not top tier. Her phrasing is the best thing about it.

Reactions: RJN
her vocals are gorgeously dynamic and upfront on State of Dreaming. excellent enunciation.

I think it has held up beautifully and being so feel good really gives the album a much needed change of pace.

10 Bubblegum Bitch
11 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
09 Starring Role
08.5 The State of Dreaming

I think this is the worst piece of sequencing on the album - P&C and TSOD are too similar in pace and instrumentation to be put right together. And this ultimately harms the next track which, out of sequence, is one of her very best...let;s not run too far ahead tho'.

this song is a rocket up the fucking arse. didn't it peak at like #190 UK? bad, bad gays.

the best bit is of course the middle 8 where doesn't mean that I am weak becomes a painful refrain of I am weak, weak, weak... the delusion!!!

... and then the chorus comes back in and repeats for ONE ENTIRE MINUTE until you're DIZZY AND NAUSEOUS.

as a wise woman once said: bangerz. fuckin bangerz.

10.5 Power & Control

Right here we go - the original demo of "Living Dead" is one of my top 10 MATD tracks - the final version is a wee bit too polished but this is still an absolute crydance banger. 13/10. (15/10 for the demo)

I think this is the worst piece of sequencing on the album - P&C and TSOD are too similar in pace and instrumentation to be put right together. And this ultimately harms the next track which, out of sequence, is one of her very best...let;s not run too far ahead tho'.
I agree with this
The State of Dreaming should have actually been a bonus track. I like it but yeah .

what's different about the Living Dead demo, Octy? I need to seek it out.

I think it's the least essential track on the album. the bridge (which rips off How High by Madonna, btw) is stellar and the Italo production on the verses is hot, but the sledgehammer chorus doesn't quite land and lyrically I'm not sure it hits either. still a banger of course.

10 Bubblegum Bitch
11 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
09 Starring Role
08.5 The State of Dreaming
10.5 Power & Control
08 Living Dead

10 Bubblegum Bitch
10 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
37.5 Starring Role
08 The State of Dreaming
10 Power & Control
10 Living Dead

@Jark - it's simpler, more stripped back and more effective for it. It'll be on YouPube because isn't everything.

Teen Idle is my favorite after Primadonna (and maybe Starring Role now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom