Melodifestivalen 2023: Deltävling Two - Linköping

VoR

Take it or leave it
With last weekend's show turning out to be more Addis Black Widow than Alcazar, the stakes are high this Saturday to turn this Melfest ship around. Who will join Jon Henrik & friends + Tone Sekelius in the finals? These are your contenders...

1. Wiktoria - All My Life (Where Have You Been)
1599px-Wiktoria_2023.jpg

Herman Gardarfve, Patrik Jean, Wiktoria Johansson och Melanie Wehbe.

The Shirley Clamp of Melfest's millennial set, Sticky Wicky clocked up three finalists in four years from 2016-2019, although victory has thus far eluded her. She has the songwriting team behind Move on board for this fourth stab at the big prize, and the buzz is that she's gone for a midtempo, Carly Rae Jepsen-esque sound. Her quality control is generally high, though live she does have an unfortunate tendency to bellow her entries like a banshee entering a wind tunnel.

Obviously one of the bigger names in this semi, but she doesn't seem to have much of a chart presence beyond her Melfest hits, so it remains to be seen how much pulling power she'll be able to wield against some of the fresher acts...

2. Eden - Comfortable
1600px-Eden_2023.jpg

Benjamin Rosenbohm, Eden Alm, Emil Adler Lei och Julie Aagaard.

Making their Melfest debut, Eden is, inevitably, big on the TikToks and also appaarently the very first contestant to go by They/Them pronouns. Last week's obligatory influencer entry wound up shitting a brick live onstage, so we'll be hoping that Eden's song title bears out in terms of their performance credentials.

3. Uje Brandelius - Grytan
1599px-Uje_Brandelius_2023.jpg

Uje Brandelius

Where's Wally had a tough lockdown. :(

One for the dads, here. Uje Brandelius is a well respected singer-songwriter formerly of the band Doktor Kosmos. His last solo record was a concept album that spun out into a stage show and an award-winning film, so it's possible he's just entered Mello to get a few bums on seats for the next one. He describes the song as being about 'cooking, mood swings and conflict management' - who said rock 'n' roll was dead?

4. Panetoz - On My Way
1599px-Panetoz_2023.jpg

Njol Badjie, Pa Modou Badjie, Nebeyu Baheru, Jimmy Jansson, Robert Norberg, Daniel Nzinga och Anders Wigelius.

Purveyors of the most uncomfortable-looking white man in Sweden, Panetoz are back for the first time in seven years, having previously reached the finals in 2014 and 2016, both times via Andra Chansen. They're generally good for an uptempo party tune, and there's no indication that we shouldn't expect more of the same this time around. They're a bit long in the tooth at this point, and it's been a while since they last had a hit, so this is probably more of an effort to revitalise their careers locally than a major contender for Liverpool.

5. Tennessee Tears - Now I Know
1599px-Tennessee_Tears_2023.jpg

Tilda Feuk, Jonas Hermansson, Thomas Stengaard och Anderz Wrethov

A curious quirk of the Swedish cultural psyche is that despite their chilly Nordic demeanours, they occasionally love nothing more than to strap on a stetson and live out their Honky Tonk fantasy. Mentored by Jill Johnson, who is pretty much the patron saint of this intriguing subculture, their biggest claim to fame so far is that they've recorded in Nashville with somebody who was briefly a member of Fleetwood Mac. They're probably aiming squarely at Swedish radio here, but we have seen entries like this do the business in the past, so don't count them out just yet.

6. Maria Sur - Never Give Up
1599px-Maria_Sur_2023.jpg

Laurell Barker och Anderz Wrethov

One of the big 'story' entries this year, Maria Sur is an 18 year old Ukrainian refugee who was discovered and mentored by Sarah Dawn Finer after participating on a Swedish talent show. Being a country full of bleeding heart liberals (aside from that pesky far-right government they recently voted in :bruised:), the Swedes are likely to take Maria's plight to heart and extend a lot of goodwill towards this. The song is described as personal and autobiographical, which along with the title and Laurell Barker's involvement may sadly mean 'painfully on the nose'.

On the more hopeful side, her recent release 'I Like It' is a winsome Hailee Steinfeld-esque bop, so maybe there's still hope that this won't be a total buzzkill.

7. THEOZ - Mer av dig
1599px-THEOZ_2023.jpg

A surprise highlight of last year's Contest, THEOZ single-handedly that not all TikTok twinks should be banned from gay-friendly music festivals until such time as they grow up and evolve into meth-addled bears. His time on the Diggeeloo circuit obviously served him well, as he brought such old-school notions as 'basic competence' and 'entertainment value'. Hopefully this closing slot suggests he's delivering more of the same on his crucial second tilt at the wheel. Mildly surprising to see him sticking to Swedish, suggesting he's not going big guns for the win, but another slab of likable uptempo filler will more than suffice.

On paper, the names for the first heat looked better :(

I have high hopes for Theoz, Wiktoria and Maria Sur, but beyond that I'm struggling to see who else I may want to progress. Haven't been on board with Panetoz on previous attempts. Hopefully there's a pleasant surprise in here somewhere.

I think I’ll be into the country duet, THEOZ and I would have said Wiktoria until that crystal ball account shade

Hoping the country duo will bring some shades of Smith and Wotsit or, even better, Bella & Fillipa (☠️)

I would be unaccountably interested in a deep dive into what the Panetoz group dynamic is like behind closed doors and what each of them brings to the groupchat

Where's Wally's tough lockdown :D

THEOZ is all grown up and wearing a cardigan rather than garish sportswear.

Wiktoria - "All My Life (Where Have You Been)"
So many times

Looking for love

Oh so naive I didn’t think I was enough

Want you to know

I’ve made mistakes

I sure regret them but they led me on my way

Now I’ve found you and it feels like I’m dreaming

It almost feels too good to be true

You’re everything I never knew that I needed

And It was always meant to be you

Where have you been all my

Been all my life

Been all my life

Been all my life

I’ve been waiting on you

I’ve been waiting on you

The way we talk

The way we laugh

I’m so in love with you and I can’t hold it back

And if you fall baby I fall

I’ll be right there

I’ll be there by your side

Cause you got me and I got you

And I would do anything that you’d like

It almost feels too good to be true

And It was always meant to be you

Been all my life

Been all my life

Been all my life

I’ve been waiting on you

Oh I’ve been waiting on you

Where have you, where have you been

(Ooh oh)

(Where have you been)

(Ooh oh)

I’ve been waiting on you

It almost feels to good to be true

It was always meant to be you

Oh where have you been all my

Been all my life

Been all my life

Oh where have you been all my

Been all my life

Cause I’ve been waiting on you

(I’ve been waiting on you)

(Oh where have you been)

(All my life)

(All my life)

I’ve been waiting on you

Last edited:

Maria Sur - "Never Give Up"
I hear the voice I have inside

Even though I’m caught inside a storm

I know I deserve a better life

Even though I really miss my home

Baby I’m not gonna break

I won’t fall under the weight

Always gonna hold my ground

When I’m standing in the rain

No one’s gonna save me from the pain

I will never, never give up

When I’m crying out in chains

I don’t have surrender in my veins

What you got is a fighter

And I’ll walk through the fire

I will never, never, never

Give up

I don’t wanna tame the beast inside

Telling me take what’s truly mine

Baby I’m not gonna break

I won’t fall under the weight

Always gonna hold my ground

When I’m crying out in chains

I don’t have surrender in my veins

What you got is a fighter

And I’ll walk through the fire

Give up

When I’m crying in the rain

No one’s gonna heal me from the pain

Oh oh

Oh

Give up

Ben seems to be the only one to be mind-blown by Grytan. The other reviews just describe it as a standard nostalgic pop song with mildly humorous lyrics. :D

Maria's lyrics... oof.

Looking forward to Wiktoria and THEOZ.

Looking forward to seeing what household item/furniture Wiktoria decides to base her choreography around this year.

• Love
Reactions: Hak
'Never Give Up' is rather on the nose. It feels slightly exploitative knowing SVT will be pushing the war in Ukraine as an emotional backstory.

Schlagerprofilernas första lyssning – Heat 2
by Schlagerprofilerna

As usual Ronny's views here on the blog while you find Ken's thoughts on Instagram/Twitter.

1. All My Life (Where Have You Been) – Wiktoria
Verdict: But God, what a disappointment! Why does Wiktoria come back in Melodidifestivalen with this? An incredibly warm pop song with a British cut. It never takes off, and lacks "oompf". I don't know what to compare it to, it sounds like an album track like... Jess Glynne? Shrug that can lift a bit of Wiktoria's charm and stage skills, but NEVER that this goes directly to the final.

2. Comfortable – Eden
Verdict: A nicely swinging ballad that you can already see in front of you on stage: Eden with a guitar looking sadly into the camera.. It feels sincere, genuine and you listen to what Eden has to say. If Eden delivers on stage, this can "happen". But right now I put it outside.

3. The pot – Uje Brandelius
Verdict: This week's surprise is Uje's Orup-scented ballad about a pot. A nice ballad with gorgeous choruses, lovely strings and a funny text. No, I really don't think it will work, but I'm definitely adding it to my playlist. People think Eurovision, and not Swedish top when they vote.

4. On My Way – Panetoz
Verdict: Good party roj with an English title but Swedish text. This is completely in the style of Hold me tight, and given among the four at the top. It's also perfect here after three tough songs, and now the energy enters the competition. This week's Raggen goes like this.

5. Now I Know – Tennessee Tears
Verdict: Very Danish uptempo pop with a lighter version of Smith & Thell. I like it a lot and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up top 4. It deserves it. It lifts with every listen and will no matter what happens be a big radio hit.

6. Never Give Up – Maria Sur
Verdict: Eurovision ballad with victory tipped Sur. It is extremely difficult to determine how this should work. I think it's lovely, but I'm having a really hard time deciding how this should work: Are people in a ballad mood when there's good pop in the competition, and is the Ukraine card still so strong? I probably think THEOZ and Panetoz have better songs and rank them higher right now, I need to see Sur on stage before I'm sure about the final.

7. More of you – THEOZ
Verdict: THEOZ steps up and does a better version of what he did last year. Good party pop with drive. This kind of thing always makes me happy in Mello, when you take a nice debut and LIFT it to the following year. Granted finalist but of course no final winner.

Right now I'm guessing:
Final: THEOZ & Panetox
Semifinal: Tennessee Tears & Maria Sur
Fifth: The Oath
Sixth: Victoria
Seventh: Uje

Ken's thoughts:

Odds to win

Loreen - Tattoo 22%
Maria Sur - Never Give Up 15%
Fjällgren, North & Woods - Where You Are 12%
Kiana - Where Did You Go 7%
Tone Sekelius - Rhythm of My Show 5%
Marcus & Martinus - Air 5%
Wiktoria - All My Life 5%
Mariette - One Day 4%
Theoz - Mer av dig 4%
Nordman - Släpp alla sorger 3%
Melanie Wehbe - For The Show 3%
Laurell - Sober 2%
Paul Rey - Royals 2%
Panetoz - On My Way 2%
Tennessee Tears - Now I Know 1%
Axel Schylström - Gorgeous 1%
Ida-Lova - Låt hela stan se på 1%
Victor Crone - Diamonds 1%
Emil Henrohn - Mera mera mera 1%
Eden - Comfortable 1%
Smash Into Pieces - Six Feet Under 1%
Signe & Hjördis - Edelweiss 1%
Casanovas - Så kommer känslorna tillbaka 1%
Elov & Beny - Raggen går 1%
Uje Brandelius - Grytan <1%

Odds DTF

Maria Sur 1,20
Theoz 2,00
Panetoz 3,00
Wiktoria 3,00
Tennessee Tears 7,50
Eden 18,00
Uje Brandelius 20,00

Unless Maria Sur goes DTF (I assume Theoz will win the semi) for the same reasons Ukraine won Eurovision :eyes: not that I have anything against that, you can't blame people for being human and having feelings, fair enough.

1. Wiktoria - All My Life (Where Have You Been) - It's... fine? It's like a Soundcloud exclusive Pixie Lott song. I honestly don't know why she'd make her big comeback with this.
2. Eden - Comfortable - Oh fuck, this is DULL. Those lyrics...
3. Uje Brandelius - Grytan - I can't quite understand what this is, or what malady of the mind led to this PUNISHING trio of opening songs. Come on guys where are the cheers man?
4. Panetoz - On My Way - A Panetoz song I really like? If this is the only nod we get to Medina's success last year, I'll take it. Didn't expect to be rooting for this given their past form, but here we are.
5. Tennessee Tears - Now I Know - After Carla Prelly (sp?) gave us a schlager tribute to Smith & Thell a couple of years back, we're getting this straight up palette swap of them. I really like it.
6. Maria Sur - Never Give Up - Allegations of this being a front runner are very obviously, somewhat cynically, based on backstory rather than song quality. This year's Bigger Than The Universe :(
7. THEOZ - Mer av dig - Lacks a bit of the exuberance of Sonia DeVille (sp?) from last year, but still sounds like a bundle of fun that deserves its inevitable DTF moment.

Yeah, I didn't expect to be bopping to Panetoz so much! Moreso than Theoz right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom