Miss Diana Ross coming to Glastonbury (+ UK Arena Tour)

I take it Madonna had a Guide Vocal at The Brits where she fell and still sounded decent, and no Guide Vocal at Eurovision?

Vocals are so confusing these days :(

I have absolutely no idea if it was a “guide vocal” or not. :D

It was just whatever played on TV when the mic cut out. The vocals in person sounded distinctly UN-guided (allegedly).

I saw her years ago for the I Love You tour and the stagecraft was impeccable. She was utterly in control of the audience even in the horrible old barn of Wembley Arena and it was incredible to witness.

I saw her at the NEC in '95 I think. I don't remember any of the setlist, other than it opening with Take Me Higher, and a Lady Sings The Blues medley which killed the energy.

My main takeaway was of course the gowns. And the number of men in the audience in smart jumpers.

I wouldn't want to perform ENDLESS LOVE either. Pass the sick bucket.

Take Me Higher was actually a bit of an energy dip last night, but I guess a fair whack of the middle aged straights didn’t recognise it.

What a show, what a woman.

I think I went in to this expecting something quite similar to Cher but it was a lot more of a serious affair and all the better for it.

Her voice was in good form, and she was as far as I could tell, fully live - sounding particularly strong on the ballads.

Literally no one around me knew Take Me Higher, but she obviously loves it, so who are we to judge.

Last edited:
To everyone who has been to see her, did she really not come on stage until 20:45? The site is saying it’s just a 90 minute set too.

Did you catch the support act? It says “DJ Ruckus” who I Googled and he looks shit, but I can’t imagine what little he has on YouTube being appropriate for a Diana Ross crowd. Does he just DJ Soul classics or something? Can’t be worse that when I saw Fatman Scoop supporting Shakira.

Yes 20.45 was about right.

My support was some Ed Sheeran type named Zak Abel who was quite dull and kept apologising to the crowd for the fact they didn’t know any of his songs. I thought he was a bit LOW RENT, but then I looked him up after and he gets 3.5 million Streams per month on Spotify. :shock:

She did When You Tell Me That You Love Me in Birmingham as the end of show fan request. (In other venues it's been The Boss or It's My Turn)

She did When You Tell Me That You Love Me in Birmingham as the end of show fan request. (In other venues it's been The Boss or It's My Turn)

I think she’s done Home in that slot a couple of times as well - hoping for that.

Reactions: VoR
I think she’s done Home in that slot a couple of times as well - hoping for that.
Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

She's so endearing how open she is about the songs where she has a hard time on the vocals. :D I thought she generally sounded FINE, but really for me the whole gig was much more about the joy than analysing when she did or didn't hit the notes.

Not Diana asking what song the audience want as an encore, asking if we want ‘It’s My House’, then getting distracted chatting about the MINION MOVIE, then proceeding to sing ‘THANK YOU’ instead!!!

Not Diana asking what song the audience want as an encore, asking if we want ‘It’s My House’, then getting distracted chatting about the MINION MOVIE, then proceeding to sing ‘THANK YOU’ instead!!!
Was that It’s My House that she did a verse of before getting bored and getting the band to stop?

She's so endearing how open she is about the songs where she has a hard time on the vocals. :D I thought she generally sounded FINE, but really for me the whole gig was much more about the joy than analysing when she did or didn't hit the notes.
Did you post this because you knew I was going?

Not at all!

But go on then, give your review...
I mean, I won't go all in as she was clearly struggling in places, but props to her for doing the whole thing live which neither Cher nor Dolly did.

Oh, small setlist titbit though...

The Boss appears to have been promoted to the main set.

• Love
That’s not been performed at any gig as far as I’ve heard. Shame, it’s a bop!

LEGEND!

And a bunch of her children and some grandchildren were there in the front row. Have they been there for other nights?

IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3249.JPG

• Love
Watching her Glasto set. Aww at her telling the audience "y'know vinyl is coming back?" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom