Moopyvision 2010-2019 Round 4: Greece, Latvia & Norway - RESULTS!

With Greece i felt like I was pretty much randomly allocating scores to a parade of shit. Whether something was 'worth' 12 or 0 seemed meaningless.

With Latvia the problem was compared to the top two, everything is dreadful. So giving my 8 felt really difficult, as there is such a chasm between 8 and 10. Below that, it's Greece all over again.

Yes that makes sense, few people seem to have enjoyed Greece much, but everybody seems to have different opinions on what the better songs are, so the votes are completely all over the place :D

Reactions: D5K
I've been listening to all the entries again (well, watching the YouTube clips), and I scribble down a mark out of ten to help me rank. For Greece, the average was 4.3. For Latvia, 4.7 - but that is skewed very heavily up by the top two. Take those two out, and it's 3.5. Truly ROTTEN.

For Greece, I gave top marks for entertainingly shit, middling marks for beige and low marks for just shit.

I quite liked my top 3 for Latvia but everything below that was appalling.

Anyway, going in for Norway now, so I should get them in for the deadline, VoR.

Let's see if I can break 6 for an average :bruised:

Latvia is just so bleh but Greece can be VERY offensive with its barrage of aggressive/stupid male heterosexuality

Oh I don't know. I mean it's all varying degrees of CRUD, but there's something very amusing in terms of how Greece chooses to display male heterosexuality. Often it's gayer than a clutch purse on Oscar night.

I have it on good authority from Father Ted that the Greeks invented gayness, so it makes sense that heterosexuality is a poorly-defined concept to them.

Greece

10th: Argo - Utopian Land (57pts)

db04f057d92e33ceef16c6e7a2aa1dfb.jpg

An internal selection from the peak of Greece's financial woes, this isn't necessarily a terrible song, but it does feel very budget and amateurish, which of course it is. Very much a local concern even in Greece, this felt more suited to provincial theatre than the Eurovision stage.

The dancer should have taken his top off a lot earlier if this was ever going to have a chance of escaping the semi. It was the first ever Greek entry not to do so, demonstrating just how far their stock had fallen (literally) since Helena's glory days.

2 x 10s (Win The Game, Penelope)
5 x 0 (VoR, Buttertart, Alla, David_5000, Pingu)

Last edited:
I think I'm probably going to think VoR has made a mistake with every Greece reveal and that I gave that song my zero.

9. Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance (68pts)

09-greece_1895100i.jpg

From the days when Greece could have armpit farted a top ten, this surprisingly won the first semi final of Eurovision 2011, but stalled out at a then-mediocre for Greece 7th in the final.

Old Loukas has obviously not been a victim of many drubbings from the ugly stick (I await the @Penelope 2020 update with some trepidation), and his ethnic wailings are clearly the best part of the song. Just a shame that rap part is so thoroughly unpleasant on the ear...

1 x 12 (Zu-Klara)
6 x 0 (Superstylin', Penelope, dmlaw, Kalabaliken, Raining in Me, lolly)

Last edited:
8th: Koza Mostra feat. Agathonas Iakovidis - Alcohol is Free (79pts)

Eurovision+Song+Contest+Held+Sweden+e2PDC3rP8H0l.jpg

A real bete noir of mine back in 2013, I'm quite pleased I've since gotten over myself RE: male-fronted party entries, because this is really quite a jaunty bop for my money. Though I may be disproportionately swayed by those kilts...

This is Greece's most recent top ten placing to date, and definitely falls into the category of 'fun for the casuals'. But there's a place for that, and this gets the job done with minimal offensiveness and some sneaky political commentary around Greece's then-dire finances.

Fun fact: The old guy was apparently only in his early 50s at the time.

4 x 8 (Suomi, Zu Klara, Kevin, dmlaw)
3 x 0 (Ag, kevin7, Jacques)

Last edited:
Loukas (a predictable) NINTH INDEED! :oi:

Rousing! Greek! 9/4 time signature! An insatiable thirst for anal as we know they ALL have! Thrilling ethnic instruments! A fucking KEY CHANGE FOR GOD’S SAKE! :disco::disco::disco:

God you girls are BASIC

:tongueout:

Last edited by a moderator:
9. Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance (64pts)

09-greece_1895100i.jpg

From the days when Greece could have armpit farted a top ten, this surprisingly won the first semi final of Eurovision 2011, but stalled out at a then-mediocre for Greece 7th in the final.

Old Loukas has obviously not been a victim of many drubbings from the ugly stick (I await the @Penelope 2020 update with some trepidation), and his ethnic wailings are clearly the best part of the song. Just a shame that rap part is so thoroughly unpleasant on the ear...

1 x 12 (Zu-Klara)
6 x 0 (Superstylin', Penelope, dmlaw, Kalabaliken, Raining in Me, lolly)
WHAT?! This was my third favourite, it deserves to be higher! Loukas :horny:

Reactions: Zu
7th: Maria Elena Kyriakou - One Last Breath (91pts)

Maria+Elena+Kyriakou+Eurovision+Song+Contest+xT30i_Fws0hl.jpg

A big old Bond ballad from a former Voice of Greece winner, you get something along these lines every year and they usually perform about the same, unless particularly brilliantly executed. This falls into the category of passable, and so she was largely overlooked, a fate she bemoaned quite a lot in the press at the time.

Most notably, even Cyprus didn't bother to hand this the traditional douze points - and she was born there! Ouch...

1 x 12 (David_5000)
3 x 0 (Zu Klara, Kevin, Win The Game)

Last edited:
Loukas (a predictable) NINTH INDEED! :oi:

Rousing! Greek! 9/4 time signature! An insatiable thirst for anal as we know they ALL have! Thrilling ethnic instruments! A fucking KEY CHANGE FOR GOD’S SAKE! :disco::disco::disco:

God you girls are BASIC

:tongueout:
Knew you'd join me on this one!

@Dark Carnival once again demonstrating why he won that coveted ZU award :disco:

(Well, unless you gave 12 and 10 to some GAY INTEREST TAT :tongueout:)
Let's face it, some of those points were gay interest! Can't believe we already lost the two hottest males already Loukas for me and Agáthonas for you :(

Reactions: Zu
6th: Freaky Fortune feat. RiskyKidd - Rise Up (98pts)

greece_eurovision_song_contest_2014.jpg

A spirited but slightly over-eager number, this was at the time Greece's worst performing entry since 1998, which was a little surprising as it was expected to do much better. My suspicion is that it played as more like a catchy interval number than anything worth picking up the phone for - it's fun, but essentially pretty empty.

They also came just before Conchita in the final running order, which can't have helped. Straight boys trampolining or a fabulous bearded drag queen inventing gay rights in Europe? I know what I voted for...

4 x 10 (Jacques, superstylin', Alla, Pingu)
1 x 0 (Ill Advised)

Last edited:
6th: Freaky Fortune feat. RiskyKidd - Rise Up (88pts)

greece_eurovision_song_contest_2014.jpg

A spirited but slightly over-eager number, this was at the time Greece's worst performing entry since 1998, which was a little surprising as it was expected to do much better. My suspicion is that it played as more like a catchy interval number than anything worth picking up the phone for - it's fun, but essentially pretty empty.

They also came just before Conchita in the final running order, which can't have helped. Straight boys trampolining or a fabulous bearded drag queen inventing gay rights in Europe? I know what I voted for...

3 x 10 (Jacques, superstylin', Alla)
1 x 0 (Ill Advised)
News: Nick Raptakis still hot

Yes, where is she? Put the horse down and get in here NOW BINT! :oi:

5th: Giorgos Alkaios & Friends - OPA! (112pts)

card.jpg

Perhaps I'm blinded by the raw masculine energy of Giorgos Alkaios, but I'm surprised this is hated by so many here. It's such a quintessentially Greek pop! I hate to be predictable, but I do feel that had a slightly mannish diva barked this one out while wielding a leather whip and ill-supported décolletage, it's be at least a few places higher.

A big star in Greece allegedly, this is absolutely mid-00s Greece on autopilot, and it cruised into the lower end of the top ten accordingly. I dread to think what he looks like these days; much as I absolutely would, it was clearly all hanging on by a thread even at the time.

3 x 12 (Alla, lolly, VoR)
1 x 0 (Dark Carnival)

Last edited:
:D Oh I obviously like that one* although they DO have cocks which of course I find quite frightening :shock:

(*Although I liked three others MORE :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom