Name ONE language you would really like to speak!

ALL OF THEM.

I've always loved Spanish and wish I remembered more of it.

I'm v. into Italian right now, and have always enjoyed Russian and Mandarin.

1000_F_327798850_TpDinuqhnhVByIPNBRNuA4jMSdV4JSKd.jpg

:disco:

I would have to say something really obscure and annoying like Romansch. It would be useful for communicating with the fat Swiss queens in furs eating cake or whatever the Zu-K aphorism was.

I love the idea of going somewhere foreign, not telling anyone that I speak the language and then shocking everyone by speaking fluently to random people. I must've been watching too many of those "white guy AMAZES the Chinese by speaking perfect Mandarin" videos.

I was obsessed with Kent for a while and would love to understand Swedish so I can understand more of what the songs are about .. btw this is still a brilliant album .. although they are all great

I'm bad at languages, and it's probably too late to learn now :( I'd love to learn lots, but my top three are probably Mandarin, Arabic and German.

If i had a magic wand, I'd love to speak one of the Chinese dialects fluently. You'd confuse the shit out of so many people.

I'm bad at languages, and it's probably too late to learn now :( I'd love to learn lots, but my top three are probably Mandarin, Arabic and German.
I’m the opposite, I always picked them up fairly easily (well those I studied at school/uni), they just seem to make sense to my brain. However, once we move into sciences my brain goes WTF?

I love the idea of going somewhere foreign, not telling anyone that I speak the language and then shocking everyone by speaking fluently to random people. I must've been watching too many of those "white guy AMAZES the Chinese by speaking perfect Mandarin" videos.

Omg I hate those, I purposely avoid clicking them, they just want the attention. Least of all the millions of Chinese who learn English better than most native speakers. It’s only ‘amazing’ because most native English speakers are lazy cunts who don’t learn FORREN

I would have to say something really obscure and annoying like Romansch. It would be useful for communicating with the fat Swiss queens in furs eating cake or whatever the Zu-K aphorism was.

I don’t do it deliberately for a reaction but in Portugal and Brazil they are amazed when I can answer them and are so lovely about it.

If I’d exclude the languages that I’ve already studied (and far from speak well) then it has to be German. It was a mistake not to study it when I had the chance as it would have been very handy now.

I sort of just want someone to invent the universal translator from Star Trek, so we can all just talk to each other in our native tongue and all understand each other :love:

I was reading an old blog I used to like on Wayback Machine, and she was talking about translating something using BabelFish, that took me back.

I guess the babelfish is the Hitchhikers’ Guide translator

This reminds of a YouTube I watched on Pirahã, a language from the Amazon. They have just two worlds for colours ("light" and "dark"), and one word for mother and father, no other familial words beyond siblings.

There are not many consonant or vowel sounds, about 12 in total, one of which sounds like blowing a raspberry. Linguists say a lot of the language's studies potentially miss a lot of meaning as it appears mothers teach it to their children by singing and whistling and they think these aren't just jaunty rhymes but stand for actual meanings of sentences and different contexts. It's all very understudied and fascinating.

I was good at languages in school and always regret choosing English and History at uni instead of English/Spanish.

But I was also horrifically shy and afraid of speaking at that point so it didn't bode well for a language class.

It's at that point now where I wanna pick it up again but I'm not sure what level to start from given that it was 11 years ago.

Polskie, but only because my other half is Polish and after 7 years I still haven't got past hello, bye, thank you, yes and no. Stupid DUOLINGO. It's TOO HARD. Which makes trips to Poland to see the in-laws a bit stilted when you have to talk through apps in your phone :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom