Pet Shop Boys - Nonetheless (new album)

VoR

Take it or leave it
Lead single from their upcoming 15th album Nonetheless. Produced by frequent Jessie Ware collaborator James Ford.

Reactions: RJN
Album pre-ordered on all formats, we're not going to have 4 albums in a row charting at #3

Pet Shop to the top!!!

Lead single from their upcoming 15th album Nonetheless. Produced by frequent Jessie Ware collaborator James Ford.

OOOH, I like this a lot!

I was tempted to go and see Dreamworld at the cinema tonight but I'm a bit knackered. We might go on Sunday instead.

this is such a groovy banger. :disco: obsessed with the brass touches. James Ford is a major talent.

Oooh Apple Music has a full 3 track single, with two other new tracks, "Party In The Blitz" and "Through You (Extended Mix)".

FUN

I've pre-ordered the deluxe LP and bonus 12" (which is worryingly re-records of four classic PSB tracks).

I can't listen to the song at the moment, but very exciting.

I see from the album blurb that they are back on Parlophone too.

I like it. I'm excited for the album, but NOT the re-records. I loved a lot of Electric (especially Love Is A Bourgeois Construct :disco:) but I don't think I ever listened to Super or Hotspot. Are they good?

I like it. I'm excited for the album, but NOT the re-records. I loved a lot of Electric (especially Love Is A Bourgeois Construct :disco:) but I don't think I ever listened to Super or Hotspot. Are they good?

Super is great but I never got into Hotspot.

Willo' The Wisp is wonderful and Dreamland is great fun, but beyond those two I found Hotspot to be fairly PSB by numbers.

Well this is all rather jolly.

I wonder why they are going down the re-recording route, though?

The artwork for both single and album are great, a return to form in that sense.

Loving Loneliness. The female vocal really makes it I think. From the intro in particular it feels like they heard What's Your Pleasure and thought we'll have something a bit like that.

Dick shrinking :o

Both b-sides are very worthwhile too, reassuring for the album that we are in a quality controlled b-sides era.

Is Sylvia Mason-James still in the fold? She was basically their unofficial third member for a while, no?

Is Sylvia Mason-James still in the fold? She was basically their unofficial third member for a while, no?
Don't think so. The woman who did the What Have I Done To Deserve This vocals on Dreamworld was Clare Uchima, so I suspect she might be the vocals on this track?

Reactions: VoR
I wasn't sure about the new song at first as I tend to prefer the more moody and melodic PSB, but it's grown on me with a couple of listens. It might be a big pop number but it actually IS very moody and melodic underneath the surface.

This single has made me pull out the back catalogue over the past few days, which has been a joy. I haven’t really indulged for a while and so much goodness.

Also, given its appearance in All of us Strangers, I Want A Dog is CRYING out for a a Tik Tok revival. It feels ready made for it.

I’ve been trying to understand why this somehow sounded familiar and it finally clicked today :

I was obsessed with SEXUS for the short time they existed ( which was just about 6 months) and loved this ep and the first one called ´Edenites’ which is sadly not available online. They were part of the very short lived ROMO thing in the 90s, together with Orlando whose album I loved as well

I've been revisiting Yes, after listening to the In Depth podcast episode on it.

Such a good album, they really had single options to spare. Cutting This Used to Be the Future from the main tracklisting was quite perverse, though The Way It Used to Be remains the crowning glory.

Though I’ve liked subsequent stuff muchly, Yes is their last proper great album for me. I adore The Way It Used To Be too- wasted not being a single- though I love Did You See Me Coming too. Also King of Rome is exquisite.

The Way It Used To Be is absolute top drawer Pets.

I've also been revisiting their post 2000 albums this past week. The only ones I still cannot get into are Release and Elysium! I think the others are all largely good albums if not quite up their with their best. I'd rank them:

Yes
Super
Electric
Fundamental
Hotspot

Release/Elysium

Last edited:
Leaving ❤️

Incredibly, my entry into properly exploring PSB. I had largely dismissed them right up to that point.

Leaving is the one gem on Elysium for me... the Belive in PsB Mix on the Further Listening edition is also the tits.

Actually no - Minimal was, and I think that came first.

It was.

Fundamental is a great album too. I forgot until this week how much I love Integral.

OVERALL ALBUM RANK JUST BECAUSE

1. Very
2. Introspective
(Although the top two switch all the time)
3. Behaviour
4. Actually
5. Yes
6. Please
7. Nightlife
8. Fundamental
9. Bilingual
10.Electric
11.Super
12.Release
13.Hotspot

14. Elysium

Reactions: LTZ
1. Behaviour
2. Very
3. Introspective
4. Yes
5. Nightlife
6. Actually
7. Bilingual
8. Please
9. Fundamental
10. Release

I don't really know the rest

Reactions: LTZ
Nothing will ever top Please for me, closely followed by Behaviour.. and then Very and Actually and Introspective.. and then it becomes difficult. I like some of Yes and some of Bilingual and some of Hotspot

I didn't realise they had gone so long since a #1 album - I'd have thought they would be the kind of act who could nab a fanbase #1. Although I suppose that's got increasingly easy over the last 5 years or so, and they haven't been prolific in that time. I hope they have picked a week which favours them this time.

Yes you would think that in a time when Shed Seven manage a number one album the Pets can. I assume they must have got rough weeks previously, or not played the formatting game well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom