Price rises/ inflation

This won't kick in until people get the first big bill in April. Just in time for the local elections in May.

My boiler doesn't actually work (long story) so the impact should be minimal.

But remember everybody, absorb those higher fuel bills, food prices, clothing prices, NI increase but also make sure you are needlessly commuting (and paying through those nose through that) - Pret must be protected at all costs.

Hate to break this but:

The businesses that matter to the Tories are the ones with investors. They couldn't give a flying fuck about the self-employed or actual small businesses.

My local train ticket (day return to city centre) went up from £4.30 to £5 in January. That's HUGE. Almost 25%.
I think maths geek needs to fact check this

I’m don’t go there myself but it’s one jd the few reasons the government has been pushing a return to offices (with marginal success).
Mostly a cover story for the real reason - interests in commercial property ownership, rather than the businesses that occupy them. As if the government give a damn about Pret.

Mostly a cover story for the real reason - interests in commercial property ownership, rather than the businesses that occupy them. As if the government give a damn about Pret.
Yeah that too, but you know what I mean, it‘s about supporting commercial interests rather than recognising that the world changes and commerce needs to change with it (isn’t that what the market economy they love is supposed to be all about?).

isn’t that what the market economy they love is supposed to be all about?
This has what has always confused me too. Surely they of all people should be leaving it to the free market, and businesses can adapt or die?

This has what has always confused me too. Surely they of all people should be leaving it to the free market, and businesses can adapt or die?
Not when it’s (1) their own investments or (2) their donors at stake apparently

I hadn't previously clocked that the £200 "loan" is repayable in future years whether you got the loan or not.

So if you happen to not be living in a home of your own right now and move into one next year, you've got a nice £40 repayable amount for an amount of money you didn't receive. Lovely!

He's going to have to walk it back, isn't he? This is going to be about as popular as the Poll tax.

Lock the midget in his tiny red box and throw it into the sea.

Reactions: GNL
I hadn't previously clocked that the £200 "loan" is repayable in future years whether you got the loan or not.

So if you happen to not be living in a home of your own right now and move into one next year, you've got a nice £40 repayable amount for an amount of money you didn't receive. Lovely!
My bills are included in my rent (jammy at the moment, I know… but threats of rent roses loom) which presumably means that my millionaire landlord will get the rebate and then if I was to move into a place where bills are not included then i’ll be paying it back.

It’s just so fabulously ill-conceived.

There is NO WAY this policy is EVER going to happen :D
Are these loans tied to the PERSON or the PROPERTY? Do these people even understand how real life WORKS? (answer: NO of course)

I expect a hasty retreat within the next couple of weeks. Just send us all a cheque in the post and FUCK OFF FOR GOOD!

There is NO WAY this policy is EVER going to happen :D
Are these loans tied to the PERSON or the PROPERTY? Do these people even understand how real life WORKS? (answer: NO of course)

I expect a hasty retreat within the next couple of weeks. Just send us all a cheque in the post and FUCK OFF FOR GOOD!

They're not tied to either the person or the property.

It works as thus:

- if you currently pay for electricity, you get £200 off your bill this year
- if you pay for electricity in 2023-2027, every bill will have £40 extra on it.

Doesn't matter what you did before, whether you received the rebate, or anything. It's broad brush.

They're not tied to either the person or the property.

It works as thus:

- if you currently pay for electricity, you get £200 off your bill this year
- if you pay for electricity in 2023-2027, every bill will have £40 extra on it.

Doesn't matter what you did before, whether you received the rebate, or anything. It's broad brush.

I don't really understand but SOUNDS SHIT!

Oooh I’m £200 in credit with my electricity bills so I’ll get that doubled when I move out? :disco:

DRINKS ON ME LOVES

This article focusing on a Hackney food hub nearly made me cry. So many emotions about how this shouldn't be a grassroots operation, how FUCKING SHIT the useless (Labour) Hackney council are being, and the absolute unease what would happen if the amazing woman at the heart of whole operation should fall ill.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...volunteers-how-one-woman-fed-100000-londoners

In more positive news, a gofundme set up to help has since hit £160,000+ off the back of this article being posted - but this is just one story. I'm 100% positive there are thousands of very similar cases with their own horrific stories all around the country.

Sainsburys recently ran (or may still currently be running) a social media marketing campaign getting various different food influencers to show off the JOYS of SOUP, under the guise of it being CHEAP, nutritious and "good for the planet".

Fuck off patronising us with an expensive marketing campaign about SOUP - how about you lower your prices, and stock your Basics range in every branch.
A "we have our Basic product range in every branch, including Sainsburys Local stores (often the only ones available inner city)" marketing campaign is one I'd happily support, especially right now.

Last edited:
This is the most likely issue to take this government out - I know it largely driven by external forces at the moment but that won’t matter if they can’t find a solution (particularly if prices and interest rates continue to rise).

I can't see inflation persisting at high levels. It's largely driven by energy prices and continued increases in the energy sector don't seem sustainable.

There'll be bog all on offer in the way of actual help today, just so RS can ride to the rescue next year when it's a bit closer to election time :zombie:

We were notified of our 1.75% pay rise on Monday, so clearly I've got nothing to worry about.

We were notified of our 1.75% pay rise on Monday, so clearly I've got nothing to worry about.
It is backdated to April last year though. May treat myself to a Twix.

I should elaborate - we got told that there was a new pay structure coming in and the predictions is that it is designed to stop our employer giving pay rises - "under the new structure, you're already at the maximum salary for your role so you're getting NOWT" is the expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom