Saltburn

What do you think?

• Total voters
Will live tweet from here tomorrow for further evidence

IMG_2699.jpeg

The marketing team have slowly played a blinder with this, word of mouth is beginning to spread and its doing well at the box office.

I've seen it 5 times at the cinema now and it's rapidly become my favourite of the year. :disco:

I am shocked so many moopers don’t like this - it’s such a Moopy film! Still love it and can’t wait to watch it again!

I was more than happy to be spoonfed a TWISTED GAY FANTASY, it’s call me by your name on ket basically, who wouldn’t want that?

Thank god it wasn’t Call Me By Your Name. I’d watch this 100 times over that.

I read something somewhere about how the film is much more enjoyable if you abandon any search for deep meaning and just view it as a Cruel Intentions style soapy romp. I think people (quite possibly myself included) are just over-analysing it a bit because her last film won an Oscar.

I don’t think the attempt was a soapy romp though. I think she was going for something more profound than that, so maybe that’s why it’s had mixed reviews.

I still loved it, flaws and all. I had a RESPONSE to it, which is seemingly harder and harder to do these days as my streaming platform attention span gets worse and worse

Just ‘why’

The most random place in the UK

Why not Maghull or Frodsham or Northwich….

I guess I’m just feeling attacked.

My only relation to Prescot is that it fully represents one of those “outskirts of an inner city” towns that exist all around the country where if you tell posh people you’re from Liverpool/Newcastle/Glasgow/Manchester they just picture grey tower blocks, shops with iron gates and abject poverty, when in actual fact it’s just a very ordinary suburban place that could be anywhere with rough bits and posh bits and a lovely little villagy centre with coffee shops and restaurants and parks.

I think she did her homework to find exactly that, so that his story about where he was from could be interpreted in two very different ways. As was the narrative.

Yes it worked perfectly because I had NO IDEA where it was and just imagined it to be some INNER CITY HELL HOLE not a pleasant bit of suburbia.

if you tell posh people you’re from Liverpool/Newcastle/Glasgow/Manchester they just picture grey tower blocks, shops with iron gates and abject poverty
Yes it worked perfectly because I had NO IDEA where it was and just imagined it to be some INNER CITY HELL HOLE not a pleasant bit of suburbia.

:hostage:

Prescot has a lovely town centre. It actually does feel like a modern village, compared to so many generic town centres.

It’s surrounded by a lot of SHITE though :D

I also took note of the nice little touch that when asked, Oliver said he was from Merseyside (which he was) but when the family were describing him they said he was from Liverpool (which technically, he wasn’t)

That’s a very English thing I think. To default people to their nearest city. I can relate, I did it to myself when I lived in London.

It was compounded by the follow up conversation “where is Liverpool darling, I think it’s on an island or something?” Or whatever the line was

The marketing team have slowly played a blinder with this, word of mouth is beginning to spread and its doing well at the box office.

I've seen it 5 times at the cinema now and it's rapidly become my favourite of the year. :disco:
Is it? It’s done less than 20 million worldwide (and it’s been out for weeks).

Yeah the marketing team can't be taking any plaudits for it doing well from word of mouth, and it then being plopped on a global streamer at the exact point lots of people are off work

Is it? It’s done less than 20 million worldwide (and it’s been out for weeks).
It seems to be a slow burner and ticket sales have increased over the last few weeks although likely to fall in the new year with less screenings, mind.

Rosamund Pike is also on the Graham Norton show next Friday, presumably they'll talk about Saltburn.

The release window is just how things work now. Clearly it's getting excellent viewing figures on Prime, who I'm sure paid a pretty penny for it. It's also one of the most talked about films of the year. I'm sure everyone involved is happy.

I'll be interested to see if it makes the TV chart. As much as it's far more gay interest than Glass Onion last year (which had 6.739m in week one and 5.206m in week two), I don't remember that getting a fraction of the buzz this is.

That Julia Roberts film got just over 3m a few weeks back. Surely Saltburn can at least match that.

GOD YES

This is going off topic now, but am I the only one who finds the term 'breeding/being bred' really gross? Everybody should be free to be as slutty as they like, but when I read twitter nowadays it seems like there's a lot of gay men who have gone beyond separating sex from romance (which is obviously fine and probably healthy in many cases) to a point where they seem like they've separated it from basic humanity. It really gives me the ick.

But because something gives you the "ick", it's not healthy, despite everybody being "free to be as slutty as they like"?

I think you answered your own question there straight away, petal.

I'll be interested to see if it makes the TV chart. As much as it's far more gay interest than Glass Onion last year (which had 6.739m in week one and 5.206m in week two), I don't remember that getting a fraction of the buzz this is.

That Julia Roberts film got just over 3m a few weeks back. Surely Saltburn can at least match that.

Will the streaming platform matter? We have Amazon Prime for the delivery and generally never even think about watching it and always default to Netflix. Both Glass Onion and that Julia Roberts film were Netflix, which is surely more universally popular (in terms of use, if not subscribers, a lot of whom, like me, are there by default).

I don't really see how it's separating it from 'basic humanity' either - if anything it's demonstrating humanity at its most carnal and basic.

Last edited:
Will the streaming platform matter? We have Amazon Prime for the delivery and generally never even think about watching it and always default to Netflix. Both Glass Onion and that Julia Roberts film were Netflix, which is surely more universally popular (in terms of use, if not subscribers, a lot of whom, like me, are there by default).
Netflix certainly has more subscribers in the UK than Prime (16.7m homes to 13m), and while I agree that a lot of people have it by default rather than a conscious TV subscription, that shouldn't stop it charting with the twitter hype driving people there. And Prime TV shows have appeared on the chart - off the top of my head the only one I can think of is a Clarkson one, but people clearly do watch it.

I'd expect it to chart, but nowhere near the level of Glass Onion. Maybe 2-3 million viewers in a week tops?

Twitter hype is so rarely real life (and Gay Twitter EVEN LESS SO), though it does seem to now be tipping over into the mainstream press which is why I think it's at least doing well by Amazon standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom