Scottish politics thread (including 2021 Holyrood elections, potential IndyRef2, and SNP leadership contest)

The most notable example is the administration of tax, benefit and State pensions which are managed by integrated systems across the UK that span reserved and devolved functions, operating for both the UK and Scottish governments. Existing IT infrastructure only allows one legal sex on any record and cannot change the marker for 16 to 17 year olds. Those responsible for these systems consider that it may be unmanageable, even with considerable time and expense
They are genuinely trying to use "Computer says no" as justification for this horse shit

:goodgrief:

ah yes, the immutable computer systems Moses brought down from the mountain

Eurgh.

What a long winded, complicated way of saying

"We don't like it"

All the language is "The Secretary of State believes" or "this would be undesirable" (but crucially, not illegal. And undesirable to who? Not the Scottish, since it was passed democratically).

Also, almost every problem highlighted, other than age as far as I can tell, already exists by recognising Irish Gender Recognition Certificates. And their age justification is based on computer says no and single sex schools being a touch more complicated to figure out. I wonder what the number of people who would get a GRC in Scotland, and then transfer to a single sex school in England or Wales would be. I'm guessing you'd struggle to get to double digits in a year.

It is so disproportionate!

So the last day of the poll was the day Nic resigned. I wonder what effect that will have.

If people aren't as worried about independence, then a lot of unionists who thought the Tories were the way to go may come "home" to Labour. Not surprised to see them being the biggest loser so far.

nevermind, misread the above tweets

Yousaf as expected.

Ash Regan resigned from government a couple of months ago to vote against the gender bill. She won't get anywhere near the leadership (if she did, the Greens would leave government, and there is a good chance she wouldn't become First Minister as you need to win a vote in parliament) so hopefully she gets crushed and takes a few of the remaining dinosaurs with her to die a political death in the Alba party.

Reactions: COB
Ash Regan is a cunt. My dad was involved in referendum campaigning with her in the area I grew up before she ended up going into Parliament. I showed up to help once i’d finished my Masters and had found somewhere to live at short notice. She was snotty to me about not having helped out more during the campaign … babe, I had STUFF TO DO.

Ash Regan is a cunt.
Look at the company she's keeping...

Screenshot_20230219-140233~2.png

:WellThereWeAre:

Yousaf it is then, unless Forbes can really knock the "here's why you should NOT worry that I am your Tim Farron" answer out of the park.

Here we go. Homophobic AND Transphobic. Spare a thought for Joanna Cherry at this difficult time.

Though Oor Humza bust be JIZZING HIMSELF SILLY at these unforced errors from Kate

Also what is her pathway to become first minister if she does somehow win the nomination? Getting votes from the Lib Dems!?

I see that a few MSPs have publicly dropped Forbes over the gay marriage comments. GOOD!

I do think it’s interesting to see how the party handles the leadership campaign. Whilst the SNP has positioned itself as a socially progressive centre-left party in recent years, particularly under Nicola, it is still a big tent independence party with a range of views among the membership.

There has always been a wedge of supporters who want independence but whose views on social issues or the economy are closer to the centre-right. The party has generally been successful in managing to keep a lid on them until now. However they do seem to be finding their voice once again.

Who ever wins is going to have a battle on their hands uniting a divided party.

IT GETS WORSE.

deliberately misgendering someone or using phrases to suggest their gender identity isn't valid, eg. referring to a trans woman as a 'biological man'

Nicola to withdraw the whip for shits and giggles please.

Reactions: COB
It’s like Nicole Sturgeon has spent the last ten years keeping the SNP doors bolted and now she’s gone the rabble are allowed to roam free.

Who the fuck are these people and how have they been part of a supposedly progressive party for so long? It’s not like we’re talking one or two MINOR members here. This is like the Scottish version of UKIP.

Anyone who tries to bring religion into politics is clearly mentally challenged and shouldn’t have entered politics in the first place. Nothing else they have to say matters.

Nicole Sturgeon
:nononono:
This is like the Scottish version of UKIP.
No, that is the Alba party. Though the SNP used to be more right wing in the 80s and 90s. Alex Salmond (ironically, now) and Sturgeon oversaw a massive shift to the left, and the membership grew massively since 2014 with younger left wing types, but there has always been a right wing contingent in the SNP and Independence movement more widely. Also, the rural and island communities (which Kate Forbes is from) have always been generally to the right of the central belt.

Anyone who tries to bring religion into politics is clearly mentally challenged and shouldn’t have entered politics in the first place. Nothing else they have to say matters.
May I introduce you to:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom