SEX 2.0

sick cringe GIF

A limited Art Basel installation / re-issue (apparently 800 signed copies for Raising Malawi)

Nothing to see here

img.jpg

Madonna's groundbreaking Sex book, with its sexually-charged and erotic imagery, attracted extensive media attention and backlash when it debuted in 1992. Its cultural and social impact endures to this day, with the book an artifact of a defining phase of her career.

Now, 30 years later, the book is being reissued by Saint Laurent Rive Droite with a new edition published by Callaway. To celebrate the re-edition, Saint Laurent is holding an exhibition at Art Basel curated by Madonna and Anthony Vaccarello, where large-format prints from the book will be shown in Miami for the first time.

The Steven Meisel-lensed photographs will be on view in a temporary beachfront box built especially for the occasion. Only 800 copies were created and a limited number will be signed by Madonna with proceeds benefiting the artist’s Raising Malawi charity via an auction in the upcoming months. T-shirts and tote bags will also be for sale at the exhibition.

Has Mylène Farmer ever endorsed Madge so explicitly before?

Or perhaps that's Mylène Pete Farmer-Burns. Love it.

• Haha
Reactions: LTZ
I distinctly remember the hype and build-up around this when it first came out.. we were all pouring over the images on release day.. and then.. nothing. Once it was out everyone seemed to forget about it. I remember being disappointed with the glossy, staged images , which at the time felt incredibly dated (to me anyway). I never saw why it was such a scandal , it just seemed sanitised and fairly tame.
I much preferred Wolfgang Tillmans' images of the time hehe

Really? I don't think people 'forgot' about it; quite the opposite. I think people had had enough of her by then, sure, but they couldn't stop talking about how much they'd had enough of her.

Last edited:
I just remember the Spitting Image portrayal. And also having a peculiarly focused look at her, finally consciously seeing and hearing an actual Madonna video (as if, yes, for the very first time) when Bad Girl was played on the ITV Chart Show - like a rare sighting of that thing always talked about, and it was gorgeous and alluring (I've wanted her cinematic sensual torment ever since (tears running down as I dangle an empty wine glass, etc), much like I wanted to be CHER bending her ass out to show her tattoos whilst facing a wall with her hands out against it when I gazed upon the CHER Greatest Hits 1965-1992 inlay. Icons.

I was obsessed with “Secret” as a child but I wasn’t allowed the Bedtimes Story album because of Erotica and, I imagine, SEX :D

I think she actually looks FABULOUS in those new shots from last night- even the non- airbrushed ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom