Shania Twain - Waking Up Dreaming & "Queen of Me" album

fabulous news. she's been working with Mark Ralph (producer for Years & Years, Jax Jones, Mabel etc) and supposedly Four Tet (!) on this record. so no idea how it'll sound.

• Wow
Reactions: RJN
there's a tiny clip of the video on her IG story. 80s themed and clearly camp as TITS!

Ooh is a new album confirmed or is this a testing the waters kind of thing?

I love the cute little throwback to her very first logo :disco:

F7E27F12-C29E-4496-99F1-4FD6D47CDC4F.jpeg

I hope there’s a blue, green, and red version available

She should do one for every continent. Cannot wait for the African version with highly authentic beats copied and pasted over the top of every track with all the subtlety of...well, this

• Love
Reactions: RJN
A new album would be most welcome however and this all sounds promising and quite different so far

I like this! She still sounds PAINED but that can’t be helped. Has the classic Shania breeziness but actually sounds fresh rather than just harking back to her old stuff.

I like this. It's got a bit of BOUNCE.

Marred slightly by the tinny, autotuned vox. I know she's had some issues with her vocals but I'm sure there's another way.

I like this. It's got a bit of BOUNCE.

Marred slightly by the tinny, autotuned vox. I know she's had some issues with her vocals but I'm sure there's another way.
Yeah she had a pretty distinctive voice and it’s just removed all the warmth.
Song’s fun though !

This is lovely. The vocals do sound a bit like a pitched down Katy Perry though.

The single cover is everything and I want to dedicate the remainder of my life to recreating it

That vocal is hysterical. Quite a nice bop, though.

I guess it was going to be an uphill battle regardless. I can’t see country radio getting on board either. Well touring is where the money is at anyway.

This is already my favourite Shania song since her 90s imperial era. Delighted for her

It definitely is giving Katy Perry, but it'd be one of the very few KP tracks I'd actually listen to. And this has a far more likeable protagonist, of course

This is already my favourite Shania song since her 90s imperial era. Delighted for her

It definitely is giving Katy Perry, but it'd be one of the very few KP tracks I'd actually listen to. And this has a far more likeable protagonist, of course
Yeah this. I was trying to put my finger on it last night but I can definitely hear Katy Perry singing it. Or another anonymous pop girl and I think I'd enjoy it more if it was, but I'm thrilled Shania's got her hands on it just because it modernises her backcat without cheapening it. Something that NOW didn't quite do.

It's just such a shame. Her voice in her heyday was just so joyously effortless and effervescent. This is a good pop song but it's hard to get past that harshly autotuned croaking. :(

@Suedey's comment re making Madame X sound natural did get me thinking. All Madonna's recent output, while still sounding processed to fuck, still feel recognisably Madonna to me - they seem identifiably her.

This just feels entirely generic vocally. I've not followed her career over the years like Madonna's, so it may just be that I don't know her voice any more or how it has deteriorated over the years, but the fact that if you told me it was Katy Perry I wouldn't have known the difference isn't a good sign.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom