The American Song Contest 2022

Madame Mis-Teeq, tell us our future

• This will be a huge success and eventually replace the current presidential election system

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Which is fine, but it it is clearly flailing in its current form. I think taking more from Eurovision is a good idea at this point, and the voting sequence is the first thing to look at.
Agreed - I think the reason this is disappointing is because bears no resemblance to ESC or even Melodifestivalen. Why not spread it over 3 nights with two semis, a final and a full final voting procedure. This feels more akin to already tired formats like Idol and the Voice.

“American Song Contest plunged 40 percent from its debut to 1.8 million viewers”

Ouch! 🤭
Apparently only down 28% among its demo, which was a similar fall to most of the other networks. Next week is the March Madness Final Four (big national basketball tournament semi-finals), which is apparently going to be a washout for all the networks as well. It's not great, but apparently it's on the borderline of what could possibly get renewed.

Apparently only down 28% among its demo, which was a similar fall to most of the other networks. Next week is the March Madness Final Four (big national basketball tournament semi-finals), which is apparently going to be a washout for all the networks as well. It's not great, but apparently it's on the borderline of what could possibly get renewed.
They’re competing against the March madness final 4 now??? Could they have scheduled this worse? It’s probably a different demographic but it’s a much bigger deal than American idol, which they already shouldn’t have gone against

Do we know what the viewing figures are outside the US? It’s a bit embarrassing if it’s pulling in more viewers in Europe than among the domestic audience.

Having it so each week starts with the previous week's qualifiers is probably unavoidable given the time zone difficulties, but it feels weird as fuck

Are this Oregonian male duo openly gay, just implied, or just wearily predictable 'bros'?

Oh for god's sake :D

Yet again - LUDICROUS performance, wisp-thin song!

44 Oregon

Track is the kind of thing I'd resent bagging an andra chansen slot over a schlager dame staring into the chill wind of her 50s, only to find myself not always skipping it on the annual Melfest playlist two weeks later. Fine for what it is

44 Oregon
58 Montana

:D at Snoop's input after each performance being just singing the chorus hook out of tune before saying "i LOVED THAT"

Oh thank GOD - New York the first one tonight I'd be delighted to see in Eurovision!

Reactions: COB
Oh for god's sake :D

Yet again - LUDICROUS performance, wisp-thin song!

44 Oregon

They had a song a few years back which I really like called Sunroof, so I was hoping for something similar but fuck me Million Dollar Smoothies is a complete chasm of NOTHING

Stopped paying attention for ages because I had to tell @VoR he was WRONG about San Marino qualifying this year so just had to rewind back to catch Nebraska again but it didn't impress me the first time enough to look up! The US Virgin Islands however DID :disco:

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
72 US Virgin Islands

I haven’t listened yet, but I do think the US Virgin Islands winning would be fun

The US Virgin Islands is very The Lovers of Valdaro - Somebody Wants in the style of Alvaro Estrella

NEW BOOT GOOFIN INTERLUDE :disco: They're totally railing for this to get a second chance slot

Oh Kentucky could totally be a Shirley Clamp comeback :D (in practice probably a John Lundvik one)

It's fine.

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky

Last edited:
North Dakota the first really pleasant surprise so far! The chorus feels like it doesn't quite live up to the verses, but the verses are good

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky
80 North Dakota

Kansas is REALLY good. Another one I'd be glad to have in Eurovision - this would easily go direkt in Melfest.

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky
80 North Dakota
92 Kansas

I feel like I should like Virginia a lot more than I do, but it's not quite there for me. Maybe more one for the other pop girls on here. Good stage show!

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky
80 North Dakota
92 Kansas
67 Virginia

Kansas is REALLY good. Another one I'd be glad to have in Eurovision - this would easily go direkt in Melfest.

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky
80 North Dakota
92 Kansas

This is so good

I see Sam Ryder's moonlighting for Maine!

It's pretty good as this sort of thing goes but my god I do NOT need this as a jury-fuelled qualifier, and they're obviously going to be going wild for it.

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky
80 North Dakota
92 Kansas
67 Virginia
70 Maine

Macy Gray should have entered THIS (I have not yet listened to what she's actually entering)

Is she DRUNK?

What a MESS :D The ad libbing in the final minute!

44 Oregon
58 Montana
85 New York
60 Nebraska
78 US Virgin Islands
63 Kentucky
80 North Dakota
92 Kansas
67 Virginia
70 Maine
0/100 (okay fine 45) Ohio

Predictable jury qualifier! Recommending the following two this week for the CASUALS (and one, uh, viewing experience)

They had a song a few years back which I really like called Sunroof, so I was hoping for something similar but fuck me Million Dollar Smoothies is a complete chasm of NOTHING

This is SO much better! Million Dollar Smoothies felt a lot like they started with the performance concept and then thought about...absolutely nothing else

I think you're all forgeting this format has little to do with Eurovision, which surely they used as an inspiration (all the states competing), but that's it. They're not going to change things to make it look like the ESC.

They literally mentioned it about 20 times in the first episode so either take inspiration and do it properly or just make your own contest.

So far as I can tell, it is set to become much more Eurovision-y in terms of the format in the semis and final

Rehearsals for this week:

Seems like a stronger heat than the past two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom