The Environment ft Global Climate Change

big ron

Chief Super Moderator
Pronouns
He/him
I'm surprised we don't have a thread on this, as a lot of us probably fall into that 'conscious of green matters without being hardened eco-warriors' category.

As much as individual changes make people feel empowered that they are helping it's no secret that wholesale changes to economies and political structures are the only way we'll actually not boil to death.

The current pandemic does appear to have the potential to be that catalyst. It's unlikely we'll go back to pre covid levels of global transportation even when flights do resume. WFH should become much more common place now it's proven to be possible. And now there seems to be growing weight behind the economic potential of a 'green recovery' type of economic stimulus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52488134

I hope you're right. I suspect Ms Capitalism is gonna come back bigger and dirtier than ever and we'll have learned nothing.

I hope you're right. I suspect Ms Capitalism is gonna come back bigger and dirtier than ever and we'll have learned nothing.

there will have to be a turning point where green business is more profitable than black business. but I fear we're far off...

there will have to be a turning point where green business is more profitable than black business. but I fear we're far off...

Well this is the thing, there's a lot showing that green investment got a lot more value for money after 2008 and would be even more profitable now. I guess its more the vested interests of political backers that will sway things.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

It’s been ridiculously hot here (and throughout a bunch of other mostly Republican controlled states) and the air quality has bern unsafe multiple times this year. I hope it makes people rethink their views on climate change but I don’t think it will

I’m hugely concerned about the current situation but I’m still bullish about progress. Plenty of countries are powering ahead with carbon free energy generation. Lab meat will be a reality in 5 years, and the norm in 10. There are countless other progressive developments, things are moving in the right direction. Its going to get worse before it gets better, but were not doomed.

I’m hugely concerned about the current situation but I’m still bullish about progress. Plenty of countries are powering ahead with carbon free energy generation. Lab meat will be a reality in 5 years, and the norm in 10. There are countless other progressive developments, things are moving in the right direction. Its going to get worse before it gets better, but were not doomed.
Happy for your optimism beb. I think I, on the other hand, am at an all time low expectation-wise: 1) we're likely beyond the tipping point by now or soon 2) the world as a whole is too capitalist, so this is what it deserves really 3) I don't have any kids, so why should I even care?

Thanks for saying this. I've been reading a lot of "It's going way quicker than any scientist ever imagined and we're triple decker TURBO FUCKED" takes lately, which are never great for the ol' mental health.

I do worry that due to the ever grinding gears of capitalism, we're putting too much effort into action that's more about PR wins than meaningful action; 'offsetting', cutting emissions in one company/country by outsourcing it to another, that sort of thing.

And there's also a reluctance from people (myself included!) to wean ourselves off things like quick flights to Europe and fast fashion that are hugely destructive- and that's before you get to the general failure to act from governments all over the world.

Not gonna lie. I'm now flying back and forth to Germany a couple of times a year for REASONS. But, as I see it, love is a valid reason to use the world's resources... at least more so than all the business twats who fly here and there just to hold a meeting.
And before that I hadn't flown since like 2014

The major problems are much bigger than us individuals, I think it's okay to live our lives within reason. But do what we can where we can reasonably improve something, like if needing another car considering electric, or just random shit like my toothbrush just broke and I chose a more sustainable one

Last edited:
Today's BBC News article shook me up (to the point of dark planning)

NICE of them to tack this on the very end after you've already been brought to dispair

Screenshot_20230722-131532.png

There was someone on the news just now being interviewed who is stuck in Rhodes who flew out there for a holiday LAST NIGHT!

What on earth were they thinking?!?

The way this summer has unfold so far brings me to mind a short film I watched some time ago called Postcards from the end of the world. Which wasn't about wildfires or climate change but it had this dystopic feeling am having. Even the pictures I snap remind me of that.

And as am writing this a firefighting vehicle passes by with the sirens on.

There was someone on the news just now being interviewed who is stuck in Rhodes who flew out there for a holiday LAST NIGHT!

I would never say that I don't have sympathy for anybody caught in a bad situation like this, but this was incredibly stupid! The place was, literally, on fire and they travelled there.

:D “Oh don’t be silly Dave. At least it’ll be lovely and warm!”

Honest quote from a DM article.

“Apparently the hotel had burnt down before we got on the flight, but nobody TOLD US”

Yes darling, they were probably a little busy being ON FIRE.
:D “Pedro could easily have called us but he probably had a faceful of moussako.”

Honest quote from a DM article.

“Apparently the hotel had burnt down before we got on the flight, but nobody TOLD US”

Yes darling, they were probably a little busy being ON FIRE.

Quite a lax approach to CRISIS COMMS :(

Does climate change mean colder Winters? Generally it means that things will WARM UP right? :confused:

Does climate change mean colder Winters? Generally it means that things will WARM UP right? :confused:
it means more extremes across the board. overall temperatures will rise including milder winters but the extremes will go further the other way.

in 10-15 years I'm not convinced there'll be seasons at all. probably just long and very volatile summers, and a melting pot of weather for the other 5 months of the year.

Think of the money Hollywood is going to save on fake sets or trips to Greenland when they need to film their Christmas movies in JULY!

They can just pop down the road to the nearest SLALEM. SILVER LININGS!

Gulf stream could collapse soon. Lovely.

Just trying to stick to the usual anti anxiety advice of trying not to worry about what's out of our control while trying to do our little bit. I've become quite allergic to PLASTIC all of a sudden... Individual action sadly is just a drop in the ocean (I keep reading how 1 lifetime of carbon production is 1 second of the global grid or something like that) but I suppose anything visible to the economy like purchasing the more sustainable version when faced with choices A and B of something you need/want is at least... Like a vote? I mean changes in attitude have to start somewhere.

There's voting as well, and fuck it, green? I mean Sir Tory Starmer can get fucked

ETA: would be nice if Musk would step in and do something to PROPERLY help it (even as an EV owner myself I will admit, producing more cars ain't the solution). Guess he's too busy being a manchild dicking about with Twitter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom