Traumatic Gay Midweeks

Another fond HMV memory is the time I genuinely spent about half an hour looking through our new stock for the Judy Nunn ‘Sex Over Phone’ CD single, which Moopy had reliably informed me was making a surprise break into the top 40. :basil:

There was always these rumours that such and such was about to be re released because people kept requesting it on music TV and was on constant rotation. I don’t think it ever actually happened. There was always a big disconnect between record labels and fans

Streaming kinda got rid of that for the most part….

Geri was truly the midweeks queen. Every release was a true chart battle.

Did Born This Way ever come close to topping the charts? The fact that it peaked at - what, #3? - in the UK is a hate crime. We should have been knew that Brexit and a far-right regime were in the offing.

We Belong Together missing out on #1 by about five copies was the opposite of gay rights; we were denied of the redemption arc we truly deserved.

I remember being in Ibiza the week of the Spiller/Victoria Beckham battle

I say battle, the only place it was playing out was in the tabloids.

Didn’t Spiller beat her 2 to 1 or something?

One of those times when the better song won over the hype machine!

There was also a bit of a surprise battle between ATB and Whitney when she released My Love Is Your Love. ATB had been a shoe in as the biggest dance song of 99 and being sold out on imports for weeks, whereas Whitney was on her third single from the album. But they were both projected to sell over 100k based on midweeks.

He won by a margin in the end but they both sold shitloads and she had a surprise #2.

Queen.

I remember being in Ibiza the week of the Spiller/Victoria Beckham battle

I say battle, the only place it was playing out was in the tabloids.

Didn’t Spiller beat her 2 to 1 or something?

One of those times when the better song won over the hype machine!
I think the Spiller/Beckham battle was relatively close, wasn't it?

Her other hyped chart battle was against CGYOOMH, which wasn't even close.

I think Groovejet only overtook Out Of your Mind quite late in the week.

I think the Spiller/Beckham battle was relatively close, wasn't it?

Her other hyped chart battle was against CGYOOMH, which wasn't even close.

Yeah it bugged me that they insisted on “POSH KEPT OFF THE TOP SPOT BY KYLIE”
Yeah, her and 4 other songs

Reactions: D5K
Was it for Out Of Your Mind that Victoria took David on a CD signing tour of regional branches of Our Price or similar?

I think Groovejet only overtook Out Of your Mind quite late in the week.
Yes, according to Wikipedia it only overtook on the Saturday, which seems odd considering it triumphed by 20k in the end. Either she sold nothing towards the weekend (which seems unlikely given it only fell to #3 the following week), or the sales for Spiller were under reported.

Yeah it bugged me that they insisted on “POSH KEPT OFF THE TOP SPOT BY KYLIE”
Yeah, her and 4 other songs
Including DJ Otzi, Shaggy, Alien Ant Farm and Bob the Builder. Two of those weren't even new entries.

Yeah I’m getting the two Beckham songs mixed up.

Spiller probably overtook because Victoria was front ended by loon purchases :)

Not quite the same as most of these examples but I remember reading (probably in a post from RobotBoy) about Dannii's label expecting You Won't Forget About Me to be her first #1, and even booking some party/event in advance for the celebrations

Then the midweeks came in
the GAY SHOCK I also got when this legendary song was not #1. what was its midweek?

I know it became a joke but "stocking problems" really was a thing. And it usually translated as "Woolworths are a shower of bastards".

I had a friend who was CONVINCED Siobhan Donaghy's career was TANKED by stocking problems. The things we tell ourselves to get through the pain :(

Not quite the same as most of these examples but I remember reading (probably in a post from RobotBoy) about Dannii's label expecting You Won't Forget About Me to be her first #1, and even booking some party/event in advance for the celebrations

Then the midweeks came in

How very :BList:

I had a friend who was CONVINCED Siobhan Donaghy's career was TANKED by stocking problems. The things we tell ourselves to get through the pain :(
Keisha removed those CD singles from the warehouses personally.

Reactions: RJN
I might be MAKING THIS UP but was Louise’s ‘2 Faced’ midweek #1?

Reactions: VoR
God that thread is like a time capsule / music documentary archive …

Sales within the top 5 are even closer than the sales between Eric and Duncan and Keedie 2 weeks ago.

Sorry, WHO?

The good news is that the UK is fast emerging as a leader in digital music.

There are already at least 30 legal online music services in the UK from MyCokeMusic, to Napster, iTunes and Download@Woolworths.

What a digital landscape! :basil:

Albums newies

6 - Beautiful South
7 - Cliff Richard
8 - Placebo
9 - Def Leppard
11 - Russell Watson

Dear God.

I’m more surprised nobody noticed or commented on it nor was it edited.

I don’t remember Joseph as a racist. I liked him. But that post is indeed shocking.

I stumbled upon a Toyah post from 2004-5 ish a while ago (no, I can’t remember what it was) that genuinely horrified me.

The shit we used to wave away back then is mind blowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom