TV Ratings 2024

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
Let's finally start a new one, as the chart I hopefully post tomorrow will be the first of the year.

And this is a 2024 show, as much as we've been discussing it in the 2023 thread.

That headline makes it sound like they were expecting millions more to tune in to see national treasure Stephen Muhlhern.

Last edited:
January 1 - 7

01 Mr Bates vs The Post Office 9.748m
02 Vera 6.849m
03 Call The Midwife 6.816m
04 The FA Cup: Arsenal vs Liverpool 6.018m
05 The Traitors 5.840m
06 The Masked Singer 5.186m
07 Antiques Roadshow 5.155m
08 Coronation Street 4.811m
09 Fool Me Once 4.801m
10 Emmerdale 4.389m
11 Wheel Of Fortune 4.163m
12 EastEnders 4.100m
13 BBC News at Six 4.035m
14 Ant and Dec's Limitless Win 3.831m
15 Mr Bates vs The Post Office: The Real Story 3.782m
16 The Tourist 3.712m
17 Would I Lie To You? 3.590m
18 Dragons' Den 3.554m
19 Mrs Brown's Boys 3.623m

I'll need to wait for Thinkbox to update to work out #20. Looks likely to be either The Chase or ITV Evening News

That's a massive fall from grace for The Tourist, isn't it? Obviously Mr Bates finished it on overnights but I assumed it would find a solid catch up figure, but not yet at least. Series One averaged 8.46m after 7 days. And according to Wikipedia, as of March 22 it was the most watched series on iPlayer.

All 8 episodes of Fool Me Once appeared in the top 50 programmes of the week, but there was quite a drop off from episode one (6.342) to episode eight (3.553).

I'm sure part of that is that even in these days of binge viewing, eight episodes of one show is more than a lot of the audience would watch in one week, and the viewing figures for the later episodes will pick up. But I do wonder if a lot of people gave up after an episode or two.

Still great figures for Netflix, regardless.

That's a massive fall from grace for The Tourist, isn't it? Obviously Mr Bates finished it on overnights but I assumed it would find a solid catch up figure, but not yet at least. Series One averaged 8.46m after 7 days. And according to Wikipedia, as of March 22 it was the most watched series on iPlayer.

I don't really understand it, unless Mr Bates just dominated conversation so much it got completely forgotten about. The BBC certainly trailed it heavily. Maybe viewers didn't fancy the location change or they just didn't like the first series that much and only watched because there wasn't anything else to do back then.

I think I have one episode left and I've really enjoyed it.

It's weird because reviews for The Tourist have been great, whereas Vigil s2 (another series which seemingly only came back again because the first one was MASSIVE) had mixed to shitty reviews and still seems to have done really well? I guess that's a more straight forward prospect as a returner though, with a new investigation for the second series. Also when Jamie Dornan's on Graham Norton saying "there wasn't originally meant to be a second series" it doesn't exactly make this one sound like a must watch, does it

I'm only two eps in still but really enjoyed them, and will watch the rest. Not essential, but good knock about fun with a great lead.

Platform data not in yet so I won't post the full chart until it is, but the first episode of Gladiators had 8.232m viewers and #1 of the week by about 1.5m. I'm sure that well exceeds the BBC's expectations.

All three episodes of The Traitors over 6m.

Platform data not in yet so I won't post the full chart until it is, but the first episode of Gladiators had 8.232m viewers and #1 of the week by about 1.5m. I'm sure that well exceeds the BBC's expectations.

While there's no doubt been some curiosity viewing due to the positive buzz, those catch-up numbers are well beyond what I'd expected. I thought the live ratings were, in part, probably so high because it was tapping into the nostalgia of being a "Saturday evening" show. To add almost two million extra viewers is great.

Record viewing for second series of The Traitors ahead of the finale week​

Betrayal is back in season as record viewers descend upon the BBC for series two

Ahead of the jaw-dropping finale still to come, The Traitors (produced by Studio Lambert) has cemented its place as the biggest entertainment show on demand/VOD across all broadcasters and streamers in at least the last two years.

The multi-award winning reality format was already a breakout hit since its launch at the end of 2022, and the second series has seen phenomenal growth on BBC iPlayer in its first three weeks. With over 50% of viewing from BBC iPlayer, it’s more than doubled series one and that’s before the unmissable finale week of episodes have even landed.

It’s the show everyone is talking about, audiences across the UK are hooked on the insatiable mix of murders, banishments, treachery and deceit. Broadcast viewing is increasing week on week, in the first 7-Days alone the first episode saw an average audience of 6.4 million and more than doubled from the overnights (from 3.1m to 6.4m on 7-days for all audiences), with episodes 2 and 3 both at 6.1million.

The series is attracting really high viewing amongst young audiences as it continues to be the biggest new Entertainment brand in the market for 16-34’s.

And the finale week is set to drive even more viewers to binge as the series reaches its dramatic climax.

Kalpna Patel-Knight, BBC’s Head of Entertainment Commissioning says: “The phenomenal growth of The Traitors on the BBC is testament to a fiendishly fresh format with the amazing Claudia Winkleman as our insightful and witty guide alongside the players masterful gameplay, all together making series two unmissable viewing. The Traitors demonstrates the success of the BBC’s on demand iPlayer strategy. Launching and then growing a new Entertainment series in such a competitive market is no mean feat and with a gobsmacking final on the horizon, The Traitors is deservedly one of the hottest and most talked about programmes around.”

Mike Cotton, Creative Director, Studio Lambert says: “After the runaway success of The Traitors last year, launching a second series was always going to be a daunting challenge. The team were united in their ambition to elevate the existing game, whilst also creating more surprising (and sometimes murderous) twists and turns for the audience. Claudia has once again been the most perfect host and the cast were simply brilliant, so we’re absolutely delighted that viewers have loved watching the series as much as we enjoyed making it.”

January 8 - 14

01 Gladiators 8.364m
02 Vera 6.715m
03 The Traitors 6.448m
04 Silent Witness 6.422m
05 Call The Midwife 6.353m
06 Michael McIntyre's Big Show 5.737m
07 After The Flood 5?686m
08 The Masked Singer 4.720m
09 Coronation Street 4.682m
10 Antique Roadshow 4.658m
11 Emmerdale 4.291m
12 Dancing On Ice 4.227m
13 BBC News at Six 4.164m
14 EastEnders 3.881m
15 Would I Lie To You? 3.791m
16 FA Cup: Wigan Athletic vs Manchester United 3.761m
17 Ant and Dec's Limitless Win 3.749m
18 Countryfile 3.635m
19 Dragons' Den 3.630m
20 The Tourist 3.498m

EastEnders hadn't had an episode get less than 4m since December 21st. For the week above, all four episodes had dropped below it. Perhaps it won't overcome Emmerdale soon after all.

I wonder when The Traitors will do a bake-off and be broadcast elsewhere?

Full chart to follow, but The Traitors very narrowly edges out Gladiators to be the #1 show for week ending 21st January :disco:

Suspected this season would be bigger than the sleeper hit season one was, but ending up at #1 is incredible.

January 15 - 21

01 The Traitors 7.080m
02 Gladiators 7.012m
03 Call The Midwife 6.712m
04 Vera 6.419m
05 Silent Witness 6.369m
06 Michael McIntyre's Big Show 5.864m
07 After The Flood 5.613m
08 Antiques Roadshow 5.064m
09 Coronation Street 4.626m
10 The Masked Singer 4.444m
11 Countryfile 4.309m
12 Emmerdale 4.220m
13 BBC News at Six 4.027m
14 Dragons' Den 3.989m
15 EastEnders 3.962m
16 The Tourist 3.649m
17 Dancing On Ice 3.582m
18 BBC Weekend News 3.520m
19 Ant and Dec's Limitless Win 3.271m
20 The Weakest Link 3.227m

Last edited:
I've never seen Ant and Dec's Limitless Win. Is it a crap format, or are people finally tiring of them?

I bet they STILL beat Claudia at the NTAs...

I've never seen Ant and Dec's Limitless Win. Is it a crap format, or are people finally tiring of them?

I bet they STILL beat Claudia at the NTAs...
I do hope they are running out of road - their ITV vehicles are (but isn’t almost everything non-drama at ITV).

The format for limitless win gets a bit tiring when every question relates to a number (so they can advance up the limitless ladder). Plus obviously there’s too much posturing and all that rubbish.

All the criticisms of it are entirely justified.

The line-up of celebrities is poor, but then the same is directed at Strictly Come Dancing most years as well, so I don't think that's actually a problem.
  • Jayne Torvill and (to a slightly lesser extent) Christopher Dean aren't interesting enough to have a vehicle designed around them.
  • They've never developed the professionals to have personalities of their own in the way Strictly has.
  • The set is naff.
  • The roughly edited music is naff.
More than anything, though, I think Dancing On Ice lacks the warmth of Strictly Come Dancing and doesn't benefit from being broadcast so soon after it. Granted, Strictly is fairly unique; nevertheless, there is something inherently appealing about the sense that everyone involved lives and breathes the show for three months. By comparison, Dancing On Ice feels like a once-weekly event for all involved. There's no real camaraderie.

Ironically, as divisive as Stephen Mulhern is, from what I've seen of the series so far, he has, at least, injected a bit of personality into it.

Dancing On Ice lacks the warmth of Strictly Come Dancing
Of course, it's on ice :D

Not a fan of Dancing on Ice anyway, though I like Stephen Mulhern's presenting. Limitless Win I half-listen to/watch. It's okay question-wise format a bit boring; Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is better despite the presenter. Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is much better. Then again Claudia is a better presenter.

Are there numbers like this for daytime TV? I wonder where those rebooted/new ones like Jeopardy and Ridiculous are, if such a list exists. :D 📺

Of course, it's on ice :D

Not a fan of Dancing on Ice anyway, though I like Stephen Mulhern's presenting. Limitless Win I half-listen to/watch. It's okay question-wise format a bit boring; Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is better despite the presenter. Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is much better. Then again Claudia is a better presenter.

Are there numbers like this for daytime TV? I wonder where those rebooted/new ones like Jeopardy and Ridiculous are, if such a list exists. :D 📺
Top episode of Jeopardy! got 1.501m, and top of Riddiculous 1.009m,

I don't watch Dancing On Ice properly, but my mum does, and I'm often there when it's on. I saw most of the first show, some of the second, but missed the last one.

It's the advert breaks that completely do my head in. There's one dance, an 'after the next break', the ad break, a 'coming up', a dance (or two on occasion) 'an after the next break ' a break etc etc. I'm sure I read something a couple of years ago that only about 15% of the running time was actually the couples dancing.

Now that's pretty true of Strictly as well, although I don't think the same degree, and I think Strictly builds the time around the Dancing much better. Slave is right particularly regarding how Strictly allows the professionals to develop personalities as well. With the first episode of DOI this year they were frequently announcing how it was a pros 5th or 6th time or whatever, and I had no clue who they were.

As for Mulhern, the nicest thing I can say about him is that he makes me dislike Schofield a little less.

I really do think ITV is creatively bankrupt as far as light entertainment is concerned.

Last edited:
They need to have a break after each performance (mostly) so the ice cn be smoothed out with one of those machines.

Can't stand Mulhern, he's not funny snd is desperately try hard.

The pros are quite anonymous because alot of them take several years off between seasons. Vicki Ogden in particular who took a 7 year break between series at one point.

They need to have a break after each performance (mostly) so the ice cn be smoothed out with one of those machines.

I don’t watch this nonsense but considering in the actual Olympics they do it once every group of 6 or 8 have been carving the ice up doing ridiculous spins and jumps, then surely they don’t do it here after every D- Lister has bobbled about for 90 seconds.

I'd question that 'need' considering how FLACCID a lot of the routines are, particularly in the early weeks. Or at least the need is driven by the desire to sell adverts rather than the risk of Hannah Spearitt wobbling a bit as she lollops around the ice.

The pros are quite anonymous because alot of them take several years off between seasons. Vicki Ogden in particular who took a 7 year break between series at one point.
Vicky Ogden who according to Wikipedia has no national medals to her name and has never competed in a World Figure Skating Championship? Presumably she's very cheap and they only hire her when nobody else will take the gig.

Even if they DO need to smooth off the ice between each performance, I'd at least appreciate them trying to work around that creatively rather than just cutting to adverts.

I know that, in some respects, Strictly is designed the way it is to account for the fact that they don't have breaks. Nonetheless, the way they have the couple leave the dancefloor after their comments for a chat with Claudia, receive their scores, and then an introduction/VT for the next couple is seamless. I think I just appreciate the effort that goes into Strictly, whereas everything about Dancing On Ice feels like a cheap, supermarket own-brand version.

Will be interesting to see how much it gets with iPlayer as I do think that is increasing year on year for reality shows in particular. But it is a format that is clearly done. I watch it out of habit more than anything - and still enjoy it - but wouldn't miss it if it was gone either.

Yes, I think it's likely to still be around 5.0 - 5.5m, which remains a solid audience.

And I did enjoy that first episode, but it very much feels like going through the motions now - something I'm happy to watch on catch up when I get around to it, rather than appointment viewing. And obviously if a lot of people feel similarly, it's likely to post lower overnights and do better on catch up.

Last edited:
It started a month earlier last year as well. Obviously, using January for The Traitors paid off massively, so the BBC have made the right choice, but I suspect The Apprentice has suffered as a result.

More than anything, though, I think the ratings - particularly for the first few episodes - reflect the quality of the previous series. Last year's wasn't particularly great, but it came off the back of the post-pandemic series, which had been one of the best in a long while.

I'm optimistic for this series because - from the brief clips shown during the episode - it seems they've at least reinstated the shopping channel task, which is usually good for a laugh and adds some variety. The last series had too many similar-themed tasks. I'd quite like to see the trade show task back as well, though that's clearly not been an option for the last few years.

More than anything, though, I think the ratings - particularly for the first few episodes - reflect the quality of the previous series. Last year's wasn't particularly great, but it came off the back of the post-pandemic series, which had been one of the best in a long while.

I honestly couldn't tell you which series was which! :D All I remember is my Akhshay - but I can't even remember if that was last year or the year before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom