TV Ratings 2024

apart from last week I have always watched Gladiators at around 7pm/8pm after recording it, before 6pm in real time is just TOO early

Why IS Gladiators on that early? Has it always been? If so, the slot isn't the reason for any downward trend. Surely it's not been moved to avoid Ant & Dec?

I think it's doing fine but if it is slowly going down, it's probably just the initial nostalgia rush taking longer to wear off than normal. I've loved it mostly, however I've missed a few and am in no rush to catch up. Knowing Gauntlet gets wheeled out every time brings on a tired sigh. I suspect they'll rectify that next series.

It doesn't help that it does feel smaller and cheaper than the original and I'm not sure the pantomime aspects really work in 2024.

As long as it doesn't keep falling it still feels like a big hit, with plenty they can improve on

Why IS Gladiators on that early? Has it always been? If so, the slot isn't the reason for any downward trend. Surely it's not been moved to avoid Ant & Dec?

I think it's doing fine but if it is slowly going down, it's probably just the initial nostalgia rush taking longer to wear off than normal. I've loved it mostly, however I've missed a few and am in no rush to catch up. Knowing Gauntlet gets wheeled out every time brings on a tired sigh. I suspect they'll rectify that next series.

It doesn't help that it does feel smaller and cheaper than the original and I'm not sure the pantomime aspects really work in 2024.

As long as it doesn't keep falling it still feels like a big hit, with plenty they can improve on

Gladiators has been on at that time since the start of the series so I don’t think it is anything to do with Saturday Night Takeaway. I thought it was because it had a lot of children watching but maybe not if most viewers watch on catch up.

I seem to remember the original Gladiators was on quite early, like 6pm-7pm but I can't be sure, this season one of the episodes was pushed to a later slot due to the RUGBY

I seem to remember the original Gladiators was on quite early, like 6pm-7pm but I can't be sure, this season one of the episodes was pushed to a later slot due to the RUGBY

From memory all the big shows were at the time. Baywatch, Gladiators, Stars In Their Eyes, Noel’s House Party.

I found a TV listing from 1996:

17.15: Baywatch Nights
18.05: International Gladiators
19.05: Man O Man
20.05: Stars in Their Eyes
20.50: ITN News
21.05: London's Burning

So, yes, Gladiators is fairly consistent with when it used to be shown. It still doesn't feel quite right now, though.

Isn't 5:50pm scheduling good coz it's all over in time for young kids' bedtimes? This is VERY book of stats but the three friends/family I know with young kids (ages 4-7 between them) are all fucking mad about it

February 26 - March 3

01 Trigger Point 7.246m
02 Death In Paradise 7.007m
03 Call The Midwife 6.917m
04 The Apprentice 6.029m
05 Gladiators 5.411m
06 Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 4.831m
07 Antiques Roadshow 4.469m
08 Coronation Street 4.441m
09 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.431m
10 Countryfile 4.333m
11 Dragons' Den 4.037m
12 Emmerdale 3.979m
13 BBC News at Six 3.649m
14 EastEnders 3.562m
15 Gogglebox 3.300m
16 Dancing On Ice 3.124m
17 BBC Weekend News 3.089m
18 The Chase 2.964m
19 Casualty 2.963m
20 The Brit Awards 2.919m

CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER LAUNCH ATTRACTS BIGGEST AUDIENCE IN A DECADE​

ITV1's Celebrity Big Brother launch episode attracted the biggest audience in over a decade with 3.8m viewers across all devices, 7-day consolidated figures show.

d56877_53d917d52c084f33811106a76519cd34~mv2.jpg

This is up on the last Channel 5 launch (2018) by +1.3m viewers. It attracted 0.8m 16-34 year old TV viewers and so far Celebrity Big Brother has been streamed over 7 million times on ITVX.

I only got round to watching that one 😅 and read about later events, haha.

Is anyone watching Comic Relief? I'm kind of watching, but I forgot it was on until family mentioned it. It's not been particularly humorous with the comic bit in the past few years, but the noses are interesting. (The last time I got one was probably in 2015, Dr Nose :D )
They did just do some sketch of The Traitors though, and I couldn't tell who was dressed as her :ClaudiaCrying:

March 4 - 10

01 Death In Paradise 7.347m
02 The Apprentice 6.072m
03 The 1% Club 5.143m
04 Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 4.907m
05 Six Nations Championship: England vs Ireland 4.705m
06 Gladiators 4.550m
07 Coronation Street 4.389m
08 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.131m
09 Antiques Roadshow 4.088m
10 Dragons' Den 3.918m
11 Emmerdale 3.876m
12 EastEnders 3.673m
13 BBC News At Six 3.672m
14 BBC Weekend News 3.435m
15 Countryfile 3.370m
16 Dancing On Ice 3.317m
17 Sarah Everard: The Search For Justice 3.316m
18 Sort Your Life Out 3.186m
19 Casualty 3.133m
20 Celebrity Big Brother 3.069m

All episodes of CBB made the chart, so that's not an estimate but an actual figure. It peaked at 3.773m for the launch night show, and then lost exactly a million to 2.773m over the week.

The first episode of The Gentlemen on Netflix got 3.532m. None of the other 7 episodes charted though, so I can't calculate an average. They all got less than 2.7m though, it wouldn't have charted above.

Shame as after a bit of a slightly slow start this season of CBB has been serving LEFT, RIGHT and CENTRE! :disco:

So two weeks after Gladiators dipped below 5.5m for the first time, it's now below 5m for the first time, and indeed only narrowly above 4.5m. It looks like it was scheduled against the rugby match just above it, which probably explains it to an extent. The audience obviously didn't bother catching it on iPlayer, though.

Shame as after a bit of a slightly slow start this season of CBB has been serving LEFT, RIGHT and CENTRE! :disco:
I wonder how many viewers it will have shed after Sharon's departure. Or have they kept it interesting?

I wonder how many viewers it will have shed after Sharon's departure. Or have they kept it interesting?

It’s difficult to say if Sharon’s departure would have been a reason why the show could have lost viewers. Sharon was great television only for her celebrity stories and beef, and in turn that gave the show headlines because she is still a big star. The best characters are still in there and BB has been setting some great tasks to tear each other apart. Louis Walsh has been an outstanding signing.

So two weeks after Gladiators dipped below 5.5m for the first time, it's now below 5m for the first time, and indeed only narrowly above 4.5m. It looks like it was scheduled against the rugby match just above it, which probably explains it to an extent. The audience obviously didn't bother catching it on iPlayer, though.

I do think the fact that they're now cycling through the same events week after week probably isn't helping.

Assuming it'll definitely be back, I wonder whether there may be value in keeping some events back for the quarters/semis. Something like Atlaspheres, for example, which is a bit more of a spectacle. Basically, anything so that we don't have to watch Gauntlet EVERY FUCKING WEEK.

I have been enjoying Gladiators but have missed the past 2-3 weeks and if I don’t watch live I have very little interest in watching later on.

I've not caught a single episode of it live. I just don't think to have the TV on at that time, even on a weekend.

Looking at the episodes from the first week, they added around 900k from the initial overnight figures - mainly from catch up, but also from non-TV viewing, which isn't included in the first figures.

March 11 - 17

01 Death In Paradise 7.264m
02 FA Cup: Manchester United vs Liverpool 5.937m
03 The Apprentice 5.453m
04 Antiques Roadshow 4.553m
05 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.569m
06 Coronation Street 4.365m
07 Countryfile 4.158m
08 Emmerdale 3.921m
09 Comic Relief 3.825m
10 Dragons' Den 3.824m
11 Six Nations Championship: France vs England 3.794m
12 EastEnders 3.697m
13 BBC Weekend News 3.668m
14 BBC News At Six 3.575m
15 Casualty 3.467m
16 Six Nations Championship: Ireland vs Scotland 3.247m
17 Love Rat 3.107m
18 Sort Your Life Out 3.052m
19 Gogglebox 3.052m
20 FA Cup: Manchester City vs Newcastle United 2.992m

The figures seem to be getting worse and worse. I dread to think what the summer ratings will look like.

After reading that list I also remembered that I recorded Love Rat back in Scotland and forgot to watch it. :(

Past week all episodes of Celebrity Big Brother charted, the lowest at #48. This week, only one episode (the Monday) made the chart, at #48 with 2.743m.

Love Rat on Channel 5 was scheduled against it on 4 nights and beat it every night.

As only one episode of CBB charted, I only have the full data for that one show. But if you assume the same uplift for all episodes, I'd estimate 2.378m on average.

As only one episode of CBB charted, I only have the full data for that one show. But if you assume the same uplift for all episodes, I'd estimate 2.378m on average.
If that estimate is correct, that would put CBB about 400k higher than the second week of the civilian series at the end of last year - which of course was on ITV2 for the majority of episodes.

That some Channel 5 drama managed to beat it reasonably easily on ITV1 is not a good look for ITV1 at all. It's clearly an ITV2 show now - I think ITV should just own that.

How does Eastenders not beat Corrie? I just don't get that. It's a much better show i'd say

Even though EastEnders isn't perfect all the time, it actually seems to have some direction and something going for it. Whereas Corrie feels like it's just drifting along with not a clue what to do next

Love Rat did decent figures for 5? I do enjoy a lot their original drama like this - it’s undemanding but certainly hits the spot.

Love Rat did decent figures for 5? I do enjoy a lot their original drama like this - it’s undemanding but certainly hits the spot.
Very good for them - and probably helped by lots of usual ITV viewers who didn't want to watch Big Brother.

I think 'Channel 5 original drama' is a pretty terrifying collection of words, personally. I won't comment on Love Rat because I'm not going anywhere near it. I've been burned too many times.

I think 'Channel 5 original drama' is a pretty terrifying collection of words, personally. I won't comment on Love Rat because I'm not going anywhere near it. I've been burned too many times.
Oh it is utterly, utterly basic but as completely undemanding thrillers go - they seem to do the trick

How does Eastenders not beat Corrie? I just don't get that. It's a much better show i'd say

Even though EastEnders isn't perfect all the time, it actually seems to have some direction and something going for it. Whereas Corrie feels like it's just drifting along with not a clue what to do next

I genuinely think we're past the point now where the soaps are "competitive" - they just are what they are. As much as the audience appears to be trending downward year on year for Coronation Street and Emmerdale, I'm not sure EastEnders is attracting new viewers. At best, it's lured back a few that lapsed before things turned around in 2023.

I've made the case in the past that things might be different if Emmerdale and EastEnders weren't shown opposite one another. Coronation Street does have the advantage of having a primetime slot to itself. But I'm not sure things would be much different even if they reverted to the old broadcast pattern. All three soaps are stuck in a race to the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom