Ukraine 2022: Kalush Orchestra - Stefania

Is anyone seriously expecting Ukraine to make it to Turin anyway? :D

Also, what's the faff about Crimea? Was it some sort of contractual obligation to go?

EDIT: Read the article. Just don't go anywhere NEAR Russia if you want to represent Ukraine.

Also, what's the faff about Crimea? Was it some sort of contractual obligation to go?

EDIT: Read the article. Just don't go anywhere NEAR Russia if you want to represent Ukraine.

Probably easier said than done! If you have the opportunity to work in both countries, I imagine gigs in Russia are FAR more lucrative in general...

Probably easier said than done! If you have the opportunity to work in both countries, I imagine gigs in Russia are FAR more lucrative in general...
Fair point, well at least do it correctly. You don’t want Jamala hunting you down.

:UncomfortableQuestion:

Surely Russia would be chucked straight out if they do invade?
You would think so - but they weren't in 2014 and this is the EBU.

Even if the EBU falters, it would surely be imperative on other countries (and particularly upon the Big 5) to threaten withdrawal unless Russia is disqualified.

Given why Eurovision was born they absolutely will.
I doubt it, i think Turkey first entered Eurovision right after invading Cyprus and i don't think there was any problem for EBU with that, it was Greece that didn't enter as I assume will be the case for Ukraine in the event of invasion.

I don't remember the Turkish invasion but that was decades ago, I hope the EBU learnt something or they can fuck off.

I doubt it, i think Turkey first entered Eurovision right after invading Cyprus and i don't think there was any problem for EBU with that, it was Greece that didn't enter as I assume will be the case for Ukraine in the event of invasion.
This is the scenario I fear - it wouldn’t at all surprise if this was the EBU’s first (but flawed) reaction that it was ultimately pressurised to change.

The public can outdo any wrong decision EBU makes, there's power with the social media etc. Am hoping things will not escalate further though cause this would be the very least of the problems a new invasion would cause.

You would think so - but they weren't in 2014 and this is the EBU.

Even if the EBU falters, it would surely be imperative on other countries (and particularly upon the Big 5) to threaten withdrawal unless Russia is disqualified.
I get the comparisons to 2014 - but invading Crimea and invading the ENTIRE of Ukraine are both very different.

I get the comparisons to 2014 - but invading Crimea and invading the ENTIRE of Ukraine are both very different.
Of course. I know it seems faintly ridiculous that the country is on the verge of invasion and we are discussing whether it will turn up to Eurovision but I do think it is important that it is able to be there if it wants to.

More on the story above. The border authorities confirmed this morning that they didn’t provide the papers to Alina documenting her crossing the land border, so it’s not looking good.

Her management say that she personally didn’t submit the potentially forged papers to the broadcaster, so it seems they’re hoping for a best case scenario in which she doesn’t go to jail. :zombie:

Oh my goodness, she is clearly an advocate for Ukraine, so maybe they find a way through (seems unlikely).

Has Alina taken Basil’s DRAMA CROWN?

Screenshot-2020-02-27-at-12.21.43-6f2e93a.png

He only wishes he could produce such a DIPLOMATIC INCIDENT!!!

I DO HOPE that instead of withdrawing they just allow second place to go or whatever, should Alina be disqualified. I can’t imagine it’d be the same case as MARUV when all the other finalists refused to go in support of her :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom