VoR does RHOBH

I've just finished S7 and it seems she turns up to every party just to do NOTHING. I don't think we've ever seen so much, and yet so little of a Friend Of. Please tell me she remedies this in later seasons? I need Chaotic word of the day spilling Camille back.

The finale episode of Season 9 is called “Hurricane Camille”.

I’m REALLY missing Camille in Season Four.

She’s not always right, but she’s so good at cutting through bullshit with laser precision. I’m noticing that the arguments when she’s not in the room are much more likely to just be waffly and go round in circles.

You really need somebody who’s happy to, for example, straight up out LVP on camera for not owning her own restaurants. :D

Season 4: Episodes 6,7 & 8

I love how the conventions of reality television force these women to preface each doomed cast trip with multiple confessionals along the lines of "I just want to relax, have fun and let go of all the drama :)"

community-chaotic-fire-8sbfo78fi3qgh77t.gif

Anyway this was very much Brandi's trio of episodes so I'll reserve most of my commentary for that.

Brandi
Brandi made a spectacular entrance in Season 2, easily slotting into the role of the younger, prettier girl with a trucker mouth and a zero fucks attitude. She could be petty and abrasive, but even in her first major spat against the obviously vulnerable Kim, she came across as a sympathetic person trapped in a nightmare feud with an unstable aggressor.

Season 3 and her alliance with Lisa took the bloom off a little, but Adrienne was too aloof and high-handed to really sympathise with too much. However, the entrance of a new younger, prettier model in the form of Joyce Giraud has really tipped the balance and exposed an ugly, ugly side of Brandi's character.

The thing is, Joyce shouldn't be a serious threat to Brandi. On current evidence, she's a bland, faintly grating type-A girl who has displayed none of Brandi's innate wit or likability. But for whatever reason - insecurity, problem drinking, a misguided awareness of her need to create good TV, or most likely a combination of all three, Brandi decides to relentlessly target her, resulting in some seriously ugly behaviour.

R2mH.gif

It'd be more forgivable if Joyce rose to it, but she spends the entirety of the Palm Trip getaway politely bewildered at Brandi's awful behaviour. I still haven't found much to enjoy about Joyce, but she acts with a hell of a lot of restraint and dignity here. Which is probably not a recipe for success in this format, but it's as difficult not to feel for her as it was not to feel for Brandi every time Kim cornered her at a party and started drunkenly wagging her finger in her face back in Season 2.

tumblr_mz29k5U2JK1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

It's not just Joyce either, Brandi is on an all-round downward spiral through these episodes, drunkenly imploring Lisa to stop 'strategising' and pissing off Carlton by loudly announcing that they'd had a late-night makeout session. The Palm Springs episodes end on a somewhat sympathetic note when one of her dogs is stolen during a burglary, but on the whole it's a fairly disastrous showing for the one-time golden girl.

Stray observations

* Another example of Yolanda's penchant for passive-aggressive MIND GAMES at her horrible dinner party, when she draws little hearts on Brandi, Carlton and Lisa's place cards and leaves everybody else's blank, then claims she must have done it subconsciously. :D

1695334806255.png

* Other than a slightly bizarre moment where she's caught crouching behind a BIN, Kim is largely background in these episodes. I do, however, continue to love the dynamic of her occasional flare-ups with Lisa, and the fact that she's the only member of the cast who seems capable of rattling her. It happens again here when they're bickering over some imagined slight or other, Kim apologises, Lisa starts trying her passive aggressive wounded martyr schtick and and Kim just snaps "Look Lisa, either accept the apology or don't" and leaves the table. :D

Ugh, after an entertaining start I'm having a hard time with this season.

I was drawn into the first three by the mind games and subtle social dynamics, but this season seems to have settled into a holding pattern of Brandi being relentlessly horrible. She's sucking all the air out of the show and turning it into what I thought Housewives was before I actually watched it. There's no subtlety or intellect behind her actions, just constant screaming and fairly unambiguous racism. I really hope she leaves soon.

Carlton has also atrophied for me. After an excellent start, she just seems to be absenting herself from group activities and having a few solo scenes per episode in which she talks absolute shite to whichever lackey is in her vicinity. :D I did enjoy that one random scene where she and Brandi went full Patsy & Edina at Kyle's white party, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if I hadn't soured on Brandi so much in general.

Lisa and Kyle both seem to be taking a back seat this season which is a shame because they are generally much more compelling. Same with Yolanda, whose only notable activity is her inexplicable loyalty to Brandi.

Joyce remains a beacon of dignity in the face of Brandi's vileness, but aside from that she's dull. It did strike me watching the episode where she goes to a gun range that this season was very obviously airing at the peak of Sofia Vergara's Modern Family popularity. :D

I may just skip the recaps and plough through until something interesting happens...

I would skip to the trip and then the reunion. Season 5 is coming and it’s a much needed refresh.

Reactions: VoR
Season 4 is mostly a slog but it does have a twist coming which should renew your interest.

Reactions: VoR
So Season 4 kind of lost me when it just became the Brandi Glanville show, but I am intending to pick it back up after Christmas when I have a bit more time on my hands.

However, in the meantime I found myself dipping back into the accursed Real Housewives of Vancouver, of which I'd seen the first three episodes and then kind of forgotten about, and I am so grimly compelled by the dark-souled husk of what was allegedly once a woman named Ronnie Negus.

tumblr_mcwc8xqsDC1rv1ckwo1_500.gif

I've seen most of the key Housewives players by now via various clips and memes, but never on any reality television medium have I encountered a woman so utterly, chillingly dead behind the eyes. She's like some creature of Greek myth who has lived a thousand lives and grown so bored with existence that her only pleasure is casually tormenting mortals, although even that brings her no real joy, only the bitter aftertaste of whatever pleasure used to feel like.

The way she casually sits back and lets the cartoonishly evil Jodi Clayman (who by the midway point in Season 1 is being routinely accompanied by sinister piano chords and stock footage of CHILL WINDS blowing across the leafy streets of Vancouver :D) repeatedly tear absolute shreds out of her supposed best friend of 18 years, the insipid MARY ZILBA, is the through line of the show, and it honestly makes Kyle and Kim' whole thing look relatively healthy by comparison.

tumblr_m365zr2lE21qg5ea1o1_500.gif

However, the real gold for me so far has been her half-arsed attempts to market a line of wines called REHAB, seemingly purely as an excuse to terrorise the staff at whatever marketing/branding agency was foolish enough to work with her.

There was an incredible scene in the last episode I watched where the underlings are nervously pitching various taglines to make the name slightly less horrific (an obviously futile task)

Marketing gay; "So we’ve got a couple of options we’re going to show you. This first one is called Rehab for your Soul…”
Ronnie (flat, deadpan, thousand yard stare):
tumblr_m3tuxmwxFq1r14zyro1_400.gif

“…”

CHILLING

Anyway, I love how the cast is basically three of the very worst women you could ever have the misfortune to meet (in very different ways!) and two seemingly nice, personable ladies of middling wealth who grow increasingly horrified as the season progresses at the NIGHTMARE they've signed up for. Christina Kiesel is a creature of pure light and I hope she's thriving wherever she is now.

tumblr_mmlwznKkVc1r8s5bto1_400.gif

Vancouver is alongside Melbourne and Auckland for me as my holy trinity.

Ronnie is such a character, Christina is such a QUEEN, and Jody is so horrendous I even feel sorry for sad old Mary. What a season :disco:

Finished season one of Vancouver. I'm not sure whether it was the editing or the fact that she was probably shooting heroin into her eyeballs throughout filming, but the internal logic of Ronnie's ever-shifting loyalties between Mary and Jody were completely impenetrable. :D

It was quite exciting when she apparently had a moment of lucidity and recognised that Jody was clearly a sociopath in a cheap tiara, but then the next episode it was as though no such revelation had ever taken place!

Christina - absolute queen of life, especially in the reunion when she clearly already had one foot out of the door and was in zero fucks mode. I ended up looking up her whereabouts and discovering a podcast she recorded with Mary years later. They're still friends/the only cast members still on speaking terms, she openly describes Ronnie and Jody as 'evil cunts' and tells a delightful story about meeting 21 year old gay fan and taking him on a night out which ended with him being JAILED because she talked him into driving her to a Wendy's with a bag of cannabis in his pocket at 3am because she was stoned and wanted a burger. :D

I've now finished my trek through the surreal fever dream that is Real Housewives of Vancouver and I'm mildly obsessed with this dreadful slice of Shania-lite balladry which we were subjected to at literally every opportunity.

I DON'T CARE IF YOU NEVER WROTE A BOOK
I DON'T CARE ABOUT NO SUPERMAN LOOKS

tumblr_mk2uex5bSI1qefwl8o1_500.png

Last edited:
  • BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
There are so many scenes in that second season that are literally this sketch :D

I'm FASCINATED by her 90s/00s pop career and I'd love to know how popular she actually was, but the Canadian charts are really hard to look up. It's bizarrely obscure for such a giant country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom