What are you gaming? 2022

Mats

User
post your latest virtual addiction, be it dime a dozen braindead shooters or neon-coloured juvenile platformers :disco:

I'm back on Morrowind. I swear that game will never stop appealing to me

my best gaming pal has finally got himself a desktop so I'm hoping for some hot viking co-op in Valheim soon :horny:

also I got an e-mail the other day that there's a demo out for Call of Saregnar, an indie game done it that old RPG cardboard cutout style which I'm really hyped about so that's on the schedule as well

I went back to the Castlevania Advance Collection - to the middle game in the GBA trilogy, Harmony of Dissonance. I really shouldn't have left this one until last :D It probably has one of the worst designed castles in the entire series, and you have to do it TWICE!

There's a whole gimmick where there are two castles (same layout with different graphics/enemies) and for most of the game there aren't many easy ways to travel between them so you spend most of your time TRUDGING about the place trying to find something only to find it's in the other castle, so then you have to TRUDGE some more to find a portal, and then the two castles also have a series of differently coloured locked doors that you need to find keys for (this sort of literal gating is the antithesis of good design in this type of game). To beat the proper final boss and get the best ending you have to go to a particular area in one of the castles, but the game doesn't really tell you WHICH so you could easily do it in the other one and think that was it, so that's a weird bit of trial and error. And while you're doing all this the music (while beautifully composed as usual) is being pumped through a parpy farty MIDI which really doesn't help matters.

This makes it sound like I hated the game which I didn't, but it's definitely bottom of the pile as far as the 'metroidvania' style games in this series go. I really hope we get a collection of the three DS games for the Switch, even if they'd need to make some adjustments to make them work on a single screen and without a touchscreen (there are already fanmade ROM hacks that do this for some of them).

Something I did appreciate was that despite the plot being about rescuing your female "close childhood friend", there's a sidequest involving the procurement of fabulous furniture and antiques to help jazz up a drab room:

Juste Belmont - "I'm a QUEEN!"

I personally prefer Harmony to Circle of the Moon but they're both JUST FINE to be honest*

*I last played them nearly 20 years ago so my judgement may be clouded

Reactions: COB
started playing It Takes Two with a friend yesterday. it's actually as good as they say! very clever and so much fun to play

i have actually been playing a lot of games since last summer.
currently asphalt 8 - never been crazy about cars but i can play this for hours on end.

sometimes i feel like that cow wot got the vr goggles got milk

started playing It Takes Two with a friend yesterday. it's actually as good as they say! very clever and so much fun to play
It's fun! @COB and I got to a pivotal moment last night and our reactions couldn't be more different.

The part where you have to kill the little girls toy elephant to make her cry, and it is unexpectedly brutal. I was loving every moment of it, cackling as the elephant suffered and then bathing in the daughter's tears. COB, who actually has a soul, found it emotional.

Also this game winning best family game at the Game Awards means that actual children are experiencing that scene which is concerning (though honestly, also quite :D)

I found the whole set-up to the scene completely preposterous. What kind of parents would do THAT? And we're meant to root for them?!

I know the game is kinda tongue in cheek but the writing was ATROCIOUS throughout, bordering on fucking XENOPHOBIC actually with the whole Dr Hakim... The whole thing left a very SOUR taste in my mouth.

It's fun! @COB and I got to a pivotal moment last night and our reactions couldn't be more different.

not gonna read the spoiler just yet as we've only just ended the robot wasp queen but I'm excited!

I don't find the writing atrocious at all, in fact it baffles me a bit that you'd think so. it's so light-hearted that I can't possibly imagine what would register as off-putting. as for Dr Hakim specifically... I can see why you'd object to that. it's very exaggerated. love in general is :)

Well personally I found the game had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and treated a serious topic like divorce as something that can be overcome by simply "putting up with each other" which is an incredibly lousy message.

In fact a lot of the writing feels like it was done by a child or an emotionally stunted adult. Whenever the script gets anywhere near the seriousness of divorce addressing issues like money or parental responsibility, it quickly makes a joke out of it to avoid addressing it head on.

The two main characters are thoroughly unlikeable and the ending feels completely unearned. Even MARIO ODYSSEY's ending had a better grasp on relationships than this!

The comedy accent on Dr Hakim and the Spanish guitars every time he appeared coupled with his frankly simpleton advice were embarrassing, but maybe as a Spaniard with a lifetime of micro-aggressions in popular culture I am more attuned to this kind of bullshit :)

Dying Light 2, Horizon Forbidden West, and now rumours of the next gen upgrade for Cyberpunk... it's going to be a heavy period for me this month

Finished Death’s Door which was a cute quick game.

Got the Guardians of the Galaxy game and so far it’s a lot more fun than I expected. Load times are ridiculous.

i've been playing it takes two (up to the middle i think). i love the game but the story is cringe times tens of thousands.

can someone recommend other (similar?) two-player games for (my friend's new) x-box?

The same studio that did It Takes Two did A Way Out which uses the same style of gameplay. The story is absolute COBBLERS but at least it doesn't pretend to be about something SERIOUS like divorce and relationships, so you can mostly IGNORE it.

I FORGOT Breath Of Fire was even a Capcom IP. Utterly BIZARRE how they just effectively killed off what must have been a reasonably profitable series after BOF4 (let's not even TALK about Dragon Quarter :zombie:)

Strange it hasn't been bought back. It would be RIGHT AT HOME on the Switch.

The same studio that did It Takes Two did A Way Out which uses the same style of gameplay. The story is absolute COBBLERS but at least it doesn't pretend to be about something SERIOUS like divorce and relationships, so you can mostly IGNORE it.

that's the other one we've started but i'm not feeling it as much (where is the fun?).

any other recommendations for a two-player? almost finished it takes two.

Knights & Bikes? It's good fun and very British.

Salt and Sanctuary has coop, I've only played 1p and the game is solid, but it's QUITE HARD! and certainly not as forgiving as It Takes Two.

Nex Machina has 2p coop and it's :disco:

Helldivers is MINDLESS FUN.

If you're into retro stuff there's a hell of a lot good stuff like the Secret of Mana collection with both Seiken games being coop multiplayer.

A lot of classic indie games like Spelunky or Don't Starve have coop. I can't remember more off the top my head but search on Steam for the coop tag and you have 80% chances they'll be available in PS4.

Outward is an open world W-RPG that allows split screen coop (I have not played it myself so don't know how good or bad it is).

All the Tales games have coop but your mileage may vary with those...

Just finished the first Danganronpa game. It was very fun, if occasionally DEEPLY PROBLEMATIC. The gameplay was very odd at times but I did enjoy the insanely mad anime story, even if I was usually a couple of steps ahead of the character for each mystery.

I've immediately moved on to the second, which seems to be generally regarded as the best of the series

d8uuabkzx8o61.jpg

I didn't have much time for Danganronpa, but I think it may be because I had already played 999 before and I thought that game did a similar thing much better. It still had some anime trappings but not as :eyes: as some of the stuff in Danganronpa.

I have the gaming equivalent of ADHD and can't just concentrate on playing through something but have started on Kingdom Hearts (story so far), Cyberpunk 2077 (managed to get it for a tenner) and Final Fantasy VI

Killed the last story boss in Elden Ring. It's an absolutely fantastic game and I'm definitely going to keep going back to it to pick at the things I've missed, it's MASSIVE.

Love the way the open world is done, it was very much like Morrowind in terms of that feeling of discovery and mystery. Bit difficult mind.

So after a 2 year break I started Skyrim Elder Scrolls again from scratch (as a human this time instead of an Elf!) and I am once again CONSUMED. Good lord, this game. The great thing is that it's so vast that, even though I recognise all the key locations and characters, I have little memory of so many mini quests (plus the fact that the game spawning is so often random) that every creature and treasure is a surprise all over again.

I've heard rumblings and buzz about this new Elden Ring game from From Software and George RR Martin. Getting rave reviews. But I think it's an X-Box exclusive?

I really do need a new open world game to get into for Switch - any recommendations? Everyone says Zelda but I just can't get into it. Tried 3 times. It's amazing looking, but I'm not hooked and it's the sort of game you really need to be hooked to bother with.

Is Witcher 3 any good, anyone? Or anything else?

Oh I should have read up - I see Elder Ring was already mentioned.

Elden Ring is on Xbox, Playstation and PC - I think it can definitely scratch that open world itch, but be warned that it's VERY difficult and has some quite particular quirks that set it aside from other games. It's by the developer of the Dark Souls series and has quite a few of the 'features' that they do (for example you can't pause the game :eyes:). The games are designed with the ethos that you WILL die horribly and often, and you can only learn and improve by doing so. I find it all a bit much personally, but for people they click with they're the best thing ever it seems.

It is on everything but Switch, including PS4 and Xbox One

Same old story :evil: Poor Switch! But I imagine it's more to do with Switch not being a strong enough engine to carry the graphics of games this big?

I have heard stories about the graphics for Skyrim looking much worse on Switch and based on the walkthroughs I see on YouTube that's certainly true.. but downgraded graphics has never bothered me. I'm all about the gameplay (and to be fair, even a downgraded Skyrim still looks gorgeous).

Elden Ring is on Xbox, Playstation and PC - I think it can definitely scratch that open world itch, but be warned that it's VERY difficult and has some quite particular quirks that set it aside from other games. It's by the developer of the Dark Souls series and has quite a few of the 'features' that they do (for example you can't pause the game :eyes:). The games are designed with the ethos that you WILL die horribly and often, and you can only learn and improve by doing so. I find it all a bit much personally, but for people they click with they're the best thing ever it seems.

Yeah that's what I read. This is a really good review

Dark Souls is on Switch. It's not strictly open world but it shares the DNA of Elder Ring as COB points out.

It's possible! I never know how long it takes from something like a trademark renewal to actually revealing something, but this was in the Nvidia leak (that's so far been 100% accurate) so will have been worked on for quite a while now :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom