WHSmith - WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD YOUR POLL RESPONSE?

• Total voters
Is that not ILLEGAL? Or is that just in parts of Scotland?
I don't think so.

I think street drinking is banned in our city centre, but no-one has ever stopped me in London. The recepitical, takes the visual edge off.

You don’t need to smuggle anything into a cinema. Why do people still think they need to- it’s entirely allowed to take your (within reason) own food and drink.

Reactions: COB
I have been known to smuggle Cherry Cokes & Revels into cinemas with me.
Perhaps mini bottles of wine as well.
Sue me!

I don’t really go to the cinema anymore and the last time I did I had a family similar to the Chawners sitting in front of me who had a A CRATE OF BEER EACH who talked through the whole bloody thing. Never again. I bet @Ellie doesn’t have to deal with THAT CRAP whilst watching The Girl on the Train

Now my cinema has got TABLES and RECLINING SEATS, I need to take a SELECTION of GOODS just to MAKE USE

Also do you refer to it as WHSMITH

Some people I know (including MYSELF) call it Smiths but my mother still goes for 'WH SMITHS' which annoys the tits out of but after all she was ever so dismayed when British Home Stores rebranded to BHS.

Last edited:
Do any of you take your own snacks on family days out to WHSMITH?

They have a terrible range of cigarettes and I remember being in one Christmas a few years ago now and a packet of cigarettes were £17. They must be near £50 now.

Also do you refer to it as WHSMITH

Some people I know (including MYSELF) call it Smiths but my mother still goes for 'WH SMITHS' which annoys the tits out of but but she was ever so dismayed when British Home Stores rebranded to BHS.

Always WH Smith, never Smiths or WH Smith’s. One is quite enough, it doesn’t need PLURALISED.

It all went to shit, when they rebranded from this iconic and deeply nostalgic look

3060762_WHSmith-1973-brown-and-orange-branding.jpg

They never used to sell food, drink and fags back in the day did they? It was dry goods only.

I have fond memories of WH Smith as a child, specifically the one on Chiswick High Road which was my local one at the time. There was honestly nothing more thrilling as a kid than doing a circuit of Dixons -> WH Smith -> Woolworths -> Our Price -> Dillons and then looping back to finish off at Burger King :disco:

It was my first job, aged 16. They put me on the PEN COUNTER. Like I knew anything ABOUT FUCKING PENS.

Are we still talking about WH Smith? They had a PEN COUNTER?

They would never be my first choice for anything. I don't think their magazine section is any better than a huge supermarket now. And certainly Borders was FAR better when we had both.

I have fond memories of WH Smith as a child, specifically the one on Chiswick High Road which was my local one at the time. There was honestly nothing more thrilling as a kid than doing a circuit of Dixons -> WH Smith -> Woolworths -> Our Price -> Dillons and then looping back to finish off at Burger King :disco:

Are you not from Glasgow originally?

My schoolchum NINA BALDWIN used to run a “thieving on demand” scam from Smiths. She’d nick a magazine for you for 50p, I recall, this saving on the more expensive titles.

I often wonder what happened to POOR OLD NINA, who went off to London to be a TOP FASHION MODEL after school but the next and last time I saw her, just a couple of years later, she told me she had just done her first shoot and it was for Marigold rubber gloves… :D :(

Are we still talking about WH Smith? They had a PEN COUNTER?
Yes, it's changed a lot. It was, dare I say it, quite a respected brand back in the day. You went there for books, stationery and newspapers, not giant chocolate bars and Smiggle rejects.

Are you not from Glasgow originally?
I am! We moved to Chiswick when I was six, and lived there and various other places in and around London (and one year in Spain) until I was eighteen when we came back up here. I've done the rounds :tongueout:

I have occasionally ventured into my local Smiths to buy stamps and it always just looks so depressing and Soviet. And not in a charming brutalist architecture way.

I have occasionally ventured into my local Smiths to buy stamps and it always just looks so depressing and Soviet. And not in a charming brutalist architecture way.
The 1989, overpriced, empty shelf version.

It's the kind of place you could shit on the floor, in the ring binder aisle, and no-one would notice for an hour.

Did anyone ever appreciate a GOOD PEN? I only write with certain pens as it makes my handwriting look HOT.

I think 'Soviet chic meets daytrip to a young offenders' institution' seems to be the desired aesthetic.

Did anyone ever appreciate a GOOD PEN? I only write with certain pens as it makes my handwriting look HOT.
I did back in the day. Now my handwriting is completely shit regardless. I miss my nice handwriting.

It certainly was NOT a Parker pen although I did once get one as a present from my first husband. You wonder why it ended in DIVORCE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom