WHSmith - WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD YOUR POLL RESPONSE?

• Total voters
They're always pushing some shit celebrity autobiography in the window.

What happened? They really took the ITV route to survive didn't they?

Plus if that's the sort of TOME I'm I'm after I'd just go to The Works anyway where I will likely find lots of other DELIGHTS :disco:

Plus if that's the sort of TOME I'm I'm after I'd just go to The Works anyway where I will likely find lots of other DELIGHTS :disco:
At least I can rinse The Works clean of their sometimes pretty decent out of print history books, for three quid a pop.

I’m assuming the high street stores still make decent money or they would close them down and just stick with the airport/train station/hospital (:zombie:) route.I just can’t get my head around HOW?

I’m assuming the high street stores still make decent money or they would close them down and just stick with the airport/train station/hospital (:zombie:) route.I just can’t get my head around HOW?
Well, none of them have been decorated or furnished since the Internet began and the staff look like volunteers or on community service.

In all fairness I have always been told I have nice handwriting and do enjoy writing letters etc so I am sitting here thinking after 25 years thinking maybe it wasn’t such a bad present after all. Who cares he was still a CUNT.

One of the city centre branches here has entrances on two corners, one of which has been temporarily closed with shitty A4 printed 'apologies for the inconvenience' signs on it for over a YEAR now. Classy!

Can somebody explain to me why the educational system was so insistent I learned to write with a fountain pen? I don't think I've seen one once in my adult life.
Christ they were still forcing that nonsense?

Well, none of them have been decorated or furnished since the Internet began and the staff look like volunteers or on community service.

Yes but THOSE OVERHEADS. I can think of 3 off the top of my head and they are all on two floors.

Let's face it we all know that it should have been Woolies WOT survived the 2008 economic crash and not Smiths :evil:
Ugh it used to be SO GOOD. I'm sure if it had survived it probably would've become indistinguishable from Poundland or B&M, but still.

Actually now you come to mention it is full of SKIVERS. I remember on two separate occasions walking in and staff were hiding up the back at the magazines having a gossip and they had a sign up at the service desk saying the till was closed and to GO UPSTAIRS. In these heels? NO.

Actually now you come to mention it is full of SKIVERS. I remember on two separate occasions walking in and staff were hiding up the back at the magazines having a gossip and they had a sign up at the service desk saying the till was closed and to GO UPSTAIRS. In these heels? NO.
Absolute rubbish isn't it? Underpaid and terrible management, I imagine.

Ugh it used to be SO GOOD. I'm sure if it had survived it probably would've become indistinguishable from Poundland or B&M, but still.
Let's face it, it wouldn't be stocking music or DVDs any more, realistically. I think it's Wilko which probably has most neatly replaced it.

In my very limited (:angel: ) Smiths experience UPSTAIRS is even WORSE. They've normally got a Post Office in there. It's like when two black holes meet the other and cancel each other out. Or something.

Let's face it, it wouldn't be stocking music or DVDs any more, realistically. I think it's Wilko which probably has most neatly replaced it.
Now I do like myself some Wilko and may have been known to DEATH DROP at their towel section on occasion.
Look we have a lot of pets ok.

Reactions: COB
The Smiths in Fareham where I used to work stayed open during lockdown as it had a Post Office in it. I used to have to send office post as the only person actually IN my office and it was a very curious experience, as the entire place was fully staffed but ENTIRELY deserted in terms of customers throughout the whole period.

Woolworths was where I bought all my music when I was young. We had Virgin and HMV, but they felt intimidating somehow, when you're after The Chosen Few by The Dooleys.

Always some silly old cow on the desk who wouldn’t argue when you brought back a ridiculously scratched copy of something without a receipt and said “I bought this last week and it’s clearly already been played and I demand a new copy. Oh you don’t have it in stock? Ok, I’ll take this brand new different album instead, thank you.”

A shop like Wooworths that sold toys, music, videos AND videogames really was a wonderland for me at a certain age.

A shop like Wooworths that sold toys, music, videos AND videogames really was a wonderland for me at a certain age.
I'd forgotten the games, although I'm talking more the Ker-Plunk and Buckaroo variety.

I think part of the appeal when really young was the fact that it's the sort of place where your mum would always happily take you, and while she bought new net curtains or had a cup of tea and a Lambert and Butler in the cafe, you played.

Reactions: COB
We didn’t have a Woolworths growing up in Ireland so by the time I moved over to the UK I don’t think I ever caught on to the magic. :(

My Woolies has a cafe upstairs with a toilet that had a glory hole. For years it used to be CONSTANT COCK and no one seemed to notice or care.
Littlewoods here. Was that gone by your time here?

We didn’t have a Woolworths growing up in Ireland so by the time I moved over to the UK I don’t think I ever caught on to the magic. :(
Ours was fire bombed by the IRA in the 1970s and then didn't reopen until the 1990s, so I missed the glory days, but I understood the appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom