Alec Baldwin Discharges Prop Gun - Kills Cinematographer/Injures Director

But a prop one?? I mean, was it real then? I thought that’s the whole point of a prop! Two people from staff too, he was trying to kill them?! Jesus christ

I’ll never get 30 Rock back on streaming here now :(

this story is fucking crazy.

Bruce Lee's son was also killed in this way on a film set. it usually means the gun was not prepared properly I think. BUT WHY NOT USE A PLASTIC TOY GUN??!

Alec has always been messy, so manslaughterer is a nice addition to his resumé

If Baldwin was having one of his tantrums and misused the prop then obviously he should never work again, in addition to facing criminal charges.

If it was a genuine accident though, how unimaginably awful for all involved.

How awful.

I think the Brandon Lee case revolved around the gun having a blank in it but also some residue from a live round which had been used in it earlier in the day. The blank turned the residue into the equivalent of a bullet and that was that. All the rules around prop guns where changed after that.

I don’t understand? Why did the gun not have blanks? Why did they have a real fully loaded gun in set??

I'm still wondering how two people got shot? Could they have just been standing close together? Or something more foul amok? And has he really not been arrested? Surely police were called to the scene!

It's all such a weird holey story at the moment, and very very unfortunate.

I'm still wondering how two people got shot? Could they have just been standing close together? Or something more foul amok? And has he really not been arrested? Surely police were called to the scene!

It's all such a weird holey story at the moment, and very very unfortunate.
It's DOP and Director, and they are often very physically close when setting up shots etc.

Given it’s the cinematographer and director and not an actor, I wonder if the shot involved him firing at the camera?

Why would he be arrested?

They do use blanks but these can still be dangerous in some circumstances. The chain of events leading up to Brandon Lee’s death are insane.

Even blanks can kill someone - it's still an explosion going off in the barrel of a gun, just with nothing (supposedly) to propel forward.

That makes more sense. I detest guns, and know very little about them. The only thing I shoot is a tequila when I am in the mood.

Idk, accidental or not I would have thought the police would have been interested in questioning the man with the gun in his hand? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: COB
Idk, accidental or not I would have thought the police would have been interested in questioning the man with the gun in his hand? 🤷‍♂️

I’m sure there is a police officer on set who was able to record what happened, and to decide whether to arrest anyone or not.

Accidentally killing someone is one of my worst fears and this story makes me feel kind of sick

:D

the sheriff was already on the scene, but then he took his costume off and went home :(

killer Alec Baldwin still very much at large with a five hundred dollar bounty on his head!
In the UK at least, manslaughter doesn't require any intent. Maybe our Americans can confirm if it's the same in the States (assuming this took place there). If so, he's committed a crime whether he meant to or not and the prison sentence cold be lengthy. The police may choose not to prosecute, but I don't know why it's a leap to expect he might be arrested? If he wasn't a film star, surely he would have been

He went voluntarily to the police station and gave a statement. There would have been a ton of witnesses, so I'm assuming the police are treating it as an accident if they've made no arrests yet. The producers and the prop people may end up liable but we won't hear that for a while.

In the UK at least, manslaughter doesn't require any intent. Maybe our Americans can confirm if it's the same in the States (assuming this took place there). If so, he's committed a crime whether he meant to or not and the prison sentence cold be lengthy. The police may choose not to prosecute, but I don't know why it's a leap to expect he might be arrested? If he wasn't a film star, surely he would have been

My dad (lawyer) said that manslaughter would require recklessness, and that a malfunctioning prop wouldn’t count. So I guess intent does matter?

My dad (lawyer) said that manslaughter would require recklessness, and that a malfunctioning prop wouldn’t count. So I guess intent does matter?
Well, you can not intend to kill someone and not do all the safety checks. In the same way you can not intend to kill someone but still get drunk and drive a car.

Well, you can not intend to kill someone and not do all the safety checks. In the same way you can not intend to kill someone but still get drunk and drive a car.

I’m not an expert on this at all, but when you’re driving, it is your responsibility to make sure you do all safety checks. On a film set, it’s not the actor’s job to do safety checks, but someone who works with props.

I’m not an expert on this at all, but when you’re driving, it is your responsibility to make sure you do all safety checks. On a film set, it’s not the actor’s job to do safety checks, but someone who works with props.
Which is probably why Baldwin hasn't been arrested and is unlikely, as an actor, to be held responsible.

I'm pretty sure the concept of criminal recklessness exists in the US

Reactions: RJN
Which is probably why Baldwin hasn't been arrested and is unlikely, as an actor, to be held responsible.
Agreed. I also, personally, don’t think this is Baldwin’s fault. With the information we have now at least

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom