Beyoncé - act i: RENAISSANCE

The...second half of the album is really obviously different from the first??

Also LOL at referencing NELLY with that "Must be the cash 'cause it ain't your face" :D Fucking dire.

Is this any good, @Jark

I think it is approx half of the streams that a typical Ariana / Olivia etc record would open with. the album has many tracks though so a bit more may have been expected. for Beyoncé it's good.

Cuff It is the most unapologetically old school Bey track on the album. she's having fun and the traditional structure (vs most of the other tracks here which take weird swerves) really works in its favour.

Reactions: dUb
I can’t tell if this is a real load of shit or the best thing I’ve ever listened to, but I am exhausted.

But I suppose I should try and listen to it at least once

So many of my acquaintances are raving about this record and I cannot help but feel that is because they think they should.

Last edited:
I love this album soooo much now. After being obsessed with the back end, I'm transitioning into appreciation for the front section, especially I'm That Girl.

Virgo's Groove is probably that girl for me overall, though. It's giving me Mariah, it's giving me chaise longue.

03 I’m That Girl - way too many ideas in this and such a horrible choice for an opener. Talk about setting the wrong tone.

07 Cozy - this might grow. Nice strong beat. Don’t really understand why one of the best voices in R&B would phone in the vocals so much in order to sound relevant. Drake ‘sings’ off the melody because he can’t really sing. Could everyone else stop trying to copy it please. Play to your strengths hun!

06 Alien Superstar - so far all this dance music and nothing sounds remotely nostalgic or celebratory, so I think we were all trolled about the concept of this album. I don’t hate this but the execution of Bey trying to convince us she’s some fresh underground alternative progressive queen is… funny.

07 Cuff It - sorry to be a prude middle aged gay but there is way too much effy effy in this album. One of the more mainstream tracks but how would this ever get played on radio? Anyway 70s funk is my jam these days so this in theory should be amazing but I’m left feeling many many others do this better

03 Energy - I hate cod Afro beat and on top of that it’s way too busy like the opening track. It’ll probably be really popular with kids.

08 Break My Soul - it’s still probably only the 324th best take on 90s house in the last few years but I’m a sucker for the sound so I do enjoy this. And she brings an energy to this lacking in everything else so far. I can imagine the sigh of relief from the record label when this came on.

00 Church Girl - this makes me cry for the woman who brought us “End of Time”, “Crazy In Love” and “Love On Top”. Next.

09 Plastic Off The Sofa - eight songs in and she finally decides to start singing. Who’d have thought it would make such a difference? Not just a total vibe but she sounds wonderful on it. The chord sequence is very 70s lounge. Here for this all day long.

09 Virgo’s Groove - and we’re off running. I wondered when we’d get some 80s vibes. The production is lush so this won’t tire quickly. This also gets even better as it moves into the final third. Gorgeous layered vocals and a killer bassline. The synths are used effectively with no overkill. Brilliant!

06 Move - a step back into the current sounds and a step back in quality but I don’t hate this like some of the other early times. It’s just a bit nothingy. And a waste of Grace Jones.

04 Heated - I like how the songs segue into each other in terms of being a party record, but when you’re running out of ideas and the Afro beat songs all start to sound the same it’s maybe not a good idea. Took me half of the song to realise it wasn’t the previous track anymore.

00 Thique - “Yonc锑s ugly baby.

00 All Up In Your Mind - what a tuneless mess.

05 America Has A Problem - This might have potential, it has some immediacy and creativity to it but it’s not instant. I need to come back to this. I’m just so bored and exhausted at this point.

08 Pure/Honey - what we all needed was a full song of Honey which is a gorgeous slice of post disco. I don’t hate Pure and I might need to time to bed in and accept these as one song. The gay pandering is starting to grate a bit now though.

07 Summer Renaissance - I don’t hate it, but why would you try? There are classic songs and then there are iconic songs and then there are SEMINAL songs and I don’t recommend anyone, even Beyoncé, playing with this. Odd choice.

Oh is that it? I need a NAP.

I believe the Milkshake bass line is sped up and looped? But it's a shit song so it doesn't matter.

A further TWO parts are to be released so there’s potential for a Whigfield sample or the studio version of the Birdie Song (funny).

Which begs the question is it a sample if no one can even tell. Although I almost hear Kelis in the background vocals towards the end.
My apologies, there was misinformation, it is indeed Milkshake.

From B's own website:

CONTAINS AN INTERPOLATION OF “MILKSHAKE” WRITTEN BY PHARRELL WILLIAMS, CHAD HUGO AND PERFORMED BY KELIS

I haven’t listened enough to give an opinion but I’m not hating it.

She's back up to #2 in the UK too, in the midweeks, which would be a new peak.

I'm That Girl is such a giant turd of a song. only Beyoncé would hear that and think THAT'S MY ALBUM OPENER :D

is Alien Superstar gonna take off? apparently it was #1 on Apple Music yesterday.

I am obsessed with the entire album. It's to me what Rebel Heart is to @Suedey - one of the greatest masterpieces ever made

09 I'm That Girl (@Jark, I said what I said)
09 Cozy
10 Alien Superstar
09 Cuff It
08 Energy
10 Break My Soul
06 Church Girl
09 Plastic Off The Sofa
11 Virgo's Groove - the sultriest gem
06 Move
09 Heated - Uncle Jonny made my dress / That cheap Spandex / She looks a mess :disco:
09 Thique
09 All Up In Your Mind
09 America Has a Problem
10 Pure / Honey - an extended Honey alone would be a 13/10
11 Summer Renaissance - Vuitton Dior Givenchy / Collect your coins, Beyoncii :disco:

I am obsessed with the entire album. It's to me what Rebel Heart is to @Suedey - one of the greatest masterpieces ever made

09 I'm That Girl (@Jark, I said what I said)
09 Cozy
10 Alien Superstar
09 Cuff It
08 Energy
10 Break My Soul
06 Church Girl
09 Plastic Off The Sofa
11 Virgo's Groove - the sultriest gem
06 Move
09 Heated - Uncle Jonny made my dress / That cheap Spandex / She looks a mess :disco:
09 Thique
09 All Up In Your Mind
09 America Has a Problem
10 Pure / Honey - an extended Honey alone would be a 13/10
11 Summer Renaissance - Vuitton Dior Givenchy / Collect your coins, Beyoncii :disco:
YAAASS!!!!

original.gif

Rolling Stone top 500 albums Listetté has just been updated for 2023 saison:

1. RENÈE - Act 1
2. Pet Sounds
3. What's Going On?
4. Exile on Main St.
5. Rebel Heart
6. 1989
7. Sgt Pepper
8. Chromatica
9. Mama's Gun