Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Tme

Bad Thing Twice was the song stuck in my head this morning.

The album charted at 16, which was higher than anything since Kiss. I'm sure Emotion and Dedicated sold more, but that's the market.

I’ve listened to this three times. It starts engagingly but doesn’t take long for me to lose interest to be honest.

I saw a tweet today praising Carly’s allyship for duetting with ‘an elderly homosexual’.

Rufus Wainwright is 49 years old. :bruised:

a bit late but Bends and Surrender My Heart are both great - I can now make a very nice 4-5 song EP of this album :disco:

i listened to a few tracks off this on repeat the first couple of weeks. really going in on the sub-eurovision song lengths and the whiffs of tame impala but yeah, the uptempos are mostly top notch (apart from shooting star - it’s totally disco, yes, but i find the vocal really grating).

faves:
- joshua tree - the i’m a little dramatic bit is my favourite of the entire album
- bad thing twice
- talking to yourself
- anxious - though i really do not approve rhyming bedroom and head room!
- surrender my heart

still haven’t digested the down tempos but there’s plenty to be enjoyed there too.

all in all, bless her heart!

actually bothering to play this album in full has yielded some surprise results. Go Find Yourself or Whatever is gorgeous. the Western Wind sequel I very much needed.

Surrender my Heart video, directed by… Jenna Maroney for no particular reason other than it being amazing

That's quite pretty.

When I saw the length of the video I wondered if the song had been extended a bit, but obviously not.

Listening to this now finally and it's actually quite good. "Far Away" jumped out at me.

I can totally see the gays liking "Beach House"

I really don't like the main song with Rufus though - it's so Radio 2 daytime housewife diluted dribble :(

Also I'm finding the bonus track choices oddly curious. Anxious, Keep Away and in particular No Thinking Over The Weekend (lush!) are as good as the rest of the main album.

Reactions: GNL
Her bonus tracks and b-sides are often just as good, if not better, than her main album tracks

Anxious really is giving me life right now. the title track is one of her worst songs ever though. hideously kitsch! and Beach House belongs in a Santa Barbara trash pile.

it's not her best or worst album, but it's probably the weakest of the Emotions/Dedicated/Loneliest Time trio... with enough highlights to still be really (re-)listenable.

Talking to Yourself is such a blatant Now That I Found You rewrite :D big grower

This is now my current favourite album :o

07 Surrender My Heart
06 Joshua Tree
07 Talking To Yourself
09 Far Away
09 Sideways
05 Beach House
07 Bends
08 Western Wind
07 So Nice
10 Bad Thing Twice
06 Shooting Star
07 Go Find Yourself Or Whatever
06 The Loneliest Time
10 Anxious
09 No Thinking Over The Weekend
10 Keep Away

So I saw her tonight, and I don't think I've ever been to a gig so JOYOUS.

Although the new album tracks stuck out like a sore thumb. Except for the TikTok bit, no one knew the words!

• Love
Reactions: RJN
I’m going tomorrow, what times she on, what’s the support like etc?

I finally got around to listening to this properly this weekend. It’s very top loaded and becomes very unmemorable after Beach House. Also, as has always been the case with CRJ, the slow ballads are weak and kill the momentum of the album. There are a couple of great tracks but it’s not a patch on Dedicated let alone Emotion. Maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.

I finally got around to listening to this properly this weekend. It’s very top loaded and becomes very unmemorable after Beach House. Also, as has always been the case with CRJ, the slow ballads are weak and kill the momentum of the album. There are a couple of great tracks but it’s not a patch on Dedicated let alone Emotion. Maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.
it's a big grower, I'd give it time. definitely a cherry picker but I love Bends, Go Find Yourself and Anxious very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom