Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
It's probably best I don't state where my anxiety is making me think this is going to go, particularly with cases starting to accelerate (just as they did this time last year, a week or two before the schools went back). Indeed, Tim Spector (ZOE guy) and John Campbell (a voice I respect on the subject) are both saying worrying things about waning immunity. And as usual, we're doing things FAR too late. Antibodies have been known for AGES to wane after 3 months, we should've been doing booster jabs weeks ago.

I am not really sure if you have stopped relaying info on here due to your anxiety ( I assume not, as you are still reading up on it) but I genuinely found everything you said on the subject very informative, and was info that a lot of the time wasn’t produced in the main stream media which is all that I personally follow.

There was an anti-vaxxer march planned here today.

Around a dozen people gathered in Castle Park today for a planned march. They are anti-vaccination, anti-lockdown, Covid-sceptic (delete as appropriate). It was raining so they marched to the bandstand to stay dry.

There was an anti-vaxxer march planned here today.

Around a dozen people gathered in Castle Park today for a planned march. They are anti-vaccination, anti-lockdown, Covid-sceptic (delete as appropriate). It was raining so they marched to the bandstand to stay dry.

Although I assume a few more turned up after the rain stopped, as they managed to surround a pop up vaccination centre in the main shopping centre, forcing it to close. Cunts.

I am not really sure if you have stopped relaying info on here due to your anxiety ( I assume not, as you are still reading up on it) but I genuinely found everything you said on the subject very informative, and was info that a lot of the time wasn’t produced in the main stream media which is all that I personally follow.
I'm not following it super-closely at the moment as it depresses the heck out of me, but also know that I have emotional overreactions stated as "fact" sometimes, which helps no one and frustrates many...

I think based on seeing numbers doing exactly the same thing this time last year that we're at the start of the 4th wave (if you count the third as having "ended" at a level of around 20k daily background noise cases, when it levelled off for a while) and that with waning immunity that is not 100% in the first place, schools going back, no measures at all, masks roughly 50/50 in shops etc case numbers are going to get a bit high and of course hospitalisations and deaths, whilst not as bad thanks to the vaccines, will still get rather uncomfortable (as if the current 100ish daily deaths wasn't bad enough imo). Anecdotally I've heard quite a troubling number of stories of "all our double jabbed family tested positive"

One necessity is going to be to get the priority groups their booster jabs STAT. They're the ones who will be getting weakening immunity as they were jabbed first, and whilst the "prevention of severe disease" type immunity is hoped to last for years/decades/life (where they say "immunity" or "efficacy" they tend to mean "against catching it at all" which is shorter as antibodies tend to fade after around 3 months, something that's been said for a year or more now but that everyone is suddenly acting surprised about), it still wouldn't be good to have the virus circulating in places like care homes again. It shouldn't be a bloodbath this time, but due to weakened immune systems and such not all of them will get away with a runny nose and a bit of a headache.

Has it? It’s been a month since we ended all restrictions and although cases have trended up they are hardly surging.
Scotland just had its highest single day of cases since records began, and it's doubled in a week. Last time similar happened, England followed two or three weeks later (and then peaked higher than Scotland in the long run, I believe)

Can someone look at the Japanese numbers and reassure me somehow?

I'm no expert and it's likely that Japan is doing the ole trick of NOT TESTING VERY MUCH AT ALL TO KEEP THE NUMBERS DOWN but having 25k infections a day as your HIGHEST PEAK of the pandemic when your population is 120m looks OKAY to me for now. The UK's highest peak if I'm not mistaken was around 60k in a day with HALF that population!

UK daily cases are 31k today and everyone is acting like it's all OVER.

I'm no expert and it's likely that Japan is doing the ole trick of NOT TESTING VERY MUCH AT ALL TO KEEP THE NUMBERS DOWN but having 25k infections a day as your HIGHEST PEAK of the pandemic when your population is 120m looks OKAY to me for now. The UK's highest peak if I'm not mistaken was around 60k in a day with HALF that population!

UK daily cases are 31k today and everyone is acting like it's all OVER.

testing has been a bit problematic, but also quite complicated. There are government tests but also private clinic tests (which constitute a lot more of the health service than in the UK), so I’m not sure how centralised it’s been reported.

it’s just a rather alarming spike compared to everything before, and frustrating that it’s come so late on despite the state of emergency announcements for Tokyo and other major cities.

they finally reached 50% of adults getting their first shot but vaccines have been very slow. Including a supply shortage, despite having never used AZ even though it was finally approved in May (they were very generously giving it to poor countries because they were worried it would kill people :eyes: ), but finally that has started too.

sigh

Scotland just had its highest single day of cases since records began, and it's doubled in a week. Last time similar happened, England followed two or three weeks later (and then peaked higher than Scotland in the long run, I believe)
What are the hospital figures like though?

Are they managing to COPE though? I’d have thought that’s still down on the numbers during the lockdown months.

The Scottish Government all but said restrictions would be considered if hospital numbers start rising again.

Health Boards are struggling with Covid even though hospitalisations are lower. Quite a few cancelled non-emergency operations in July as they couldn’t cope and there doesn’t seem to be any end in sight.

Hospitalisation and deaths are a lagging indicator, so yes, at the moment, but those numbers will rise in time.

Secondly, Sturgeon was saying that they are trying to do more non-covid work in the NHS, so it will take less hospitalisations to overwhelm than before. Which may then go on to be the justification for more restrictions.

The one potential bit of good news for the English. Because you have broadly had higher case rate than Scotland, there will be more natural immunity, which may prevent the same speedy rise as Scotland (and Wales seems to be in danger of it too)
1629809532261.png

(Poor Northern Ireland)

Bloody hell those are some nasty numbers in Scotland. I like the hypothesis that England has more immunity due to having it worse before, but am braced for our numbers doing the same thing a week or two later like they always do.

Supposed to be FINALLY going to my first beer festival since March 2020 towards the end of October.... somehow I suspect there are two chances of it actually going ahead: slim and none

Similarly for first convention since November 2019, in late November this year... the organiser is quite determined, but it won't exactly help if big indoor gatherings are banned.

Sick and tired..

We just had a briefing (and now a press conference with journalists in the room!) in Scotland, that was very much softening us up for some restrictions to be reimposed in a few weeks time.

...can't wait.

I know that nobody knows but what sort of restrictions could you see being likely?

what a cesspool!

my friend is moving to London tomorrow and I plan on visiting October/November. someone tell me it's a good idea :eyes:

The tourism board in Cornwall is asking people to stay away unless they have a prebooked trip, after cases there increased from 383 to 717 per 100k in the last week.

What counts as a pre-booked trip?

If it's in my calendar and i'm not going to work, does that count?

I reckon they probably mean unless you have a booking for a hotel or Airbnb or whatever - but yes, ridiculous. If you were planning on going camping there, I doubt it would stop you.

what a cesspool!

my friend is moving to London tomorrow and I plan on visiting October/November. someone tell me it's a good idea :eyes:
Come! Everything is open and life has returned to something close to normality at least in that sense (in that there are very few things you can’t do).

Last edited:
Bloody hell - I have a long awaited and much needed week off booked but only towards the end of September.

Is that definitely fucked, then?

So it is looking like the vaccine immunity wanes after 6 months. Start pumping those booster jabs NOW!

So it is looking like the vaccine immunity wanes after 6 months. Start pumping those booster jabs NOW!

Entirely expected, to be fair. But yes, start getting the old and frail vaccinated again before we spiral into another lockdown.

I know that nobody knows but what sort of restrictions could you see being likely?
I would suspect that they would look to reintroduce social distancing indoors, nightclubs might be closed again and indoor gigs and hospitality severely limited. Maybe some limits on numbers indoors in private homes again too. But if they have the evidence, they might target it more finely than that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something with Schools closer to Christmas, circuit breaker style, but that's still a while off and who knows what will happen before then.

Feb for my second.

I wonder if having had the lurg as well makes any difference to how long your immunity lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom