Cruel Summer: THE SMASH HIT SINGLE (finally #1!!!)

is Cruel Summer going to #1, four years later?

• it will be a UK or US #1

• it will not be top 5 but not #1

• it will become one of her signature hits

• JUSTICE FOR GETAWAY CAR

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jark

User
we've been discussing in the Lover thread but with a video on the way surely her best single deserves its own thread. :disco:

this has just broken the uk spotify top 10 for the first time (#8). it's #3 US and #11 global. I need the video like YESTERDAY!

US #1
UK #4

I think it’s already become one of her signature songs

It's not AS MUCH a missed singal opportunity that I feel Getaway Car was. It obviously bangs, but I see where they were going with Lover and The Man being singles over it. The former being a nice ballad to show off the depths of the album and the latter a (failed) attempt at going viral with the interesting video concept and a released firmly in the era of clapping back at "The Man", Rose McGowan and the metoo stuff. NI feel maybe Cruel Summer should have led the Lover campaign, and missed its chance once ME! was chosen instead (again - I think the logic here was the Brendan Urie feature and sickly colour palette trying to have some sort of cross-appeal, but it failed).

Getaway Car however was an OBVIOUS big pop third/fourth single from Reputation and they well and truly blew it. IMAGINE the video of Taylor and flavour of the month 2017 Kendrick Lamar in full black ninja outfits robbing a diamond store.

Don’t know if it’ll go all the way, but it’s sure as shit going to be huge. I mean, it’s already on 660 million on Spotify before release. Like what the actual FUCK :D

Anyhoo, fabulous song, deserves this and as much as I love an old school campaign, something like this is so fun to watch.

It's not AS MUCH a missed singal opportunity that I feel Getaway Car was. It obviously bangs, but I see where they were going with Lover and The Man being singles over it. The former being a nice ballad to show off the depths of the album and the latter a (failed) attempt at going viral with the interesting video concept and a released firmly in the era of clapping back at "The Man", Rose McGowan and the metoo stuff. NI feel maybe Cruel Summer should have led the Lover campaign, and missed its chance once ME! was chosen instead (again - I think the logic here was the Brendan Urie feature and sickly colour palette trying to have some sort of cross-appeal, but it failed).

Getaway Car however was an OBVIOUS big pop third/fourth single from Reputation and they well and truly blew it. IMAGINE the video of Taylor and flavour of the month 2017 Kendrick Lamar in full black ninja outfits robbing a diamond store.

Getaway Car entered the top 200 on UK Spotify today, I believe for the first time ever.

Its coming next girl :disco:

I only heard Getaway Car for the first time early this year.

Who knew there was a good song during the Reputation Era?

It's just so OBVIOUSLY a big pop song recorded to make sure there's a single for the album, then they went with Ed Sheeran instead. Baffling.

Well, not baffling because it's Ed Sheeran. ANNOYING is more accurate.

I only heard Getaway Car for the first time early this year.

Who knew there was a good song during the Reputation Era?
well anyone who LISTENED TO IT given that it's her BEST (POP) ALBUM!

Tbf I only discovered it about two years back.

A lot of us couldn’t really stand her back then :D

Justice for All Of The Girls You've Loved Before.

I've streamed it an insane, unhealthy amount of times since it was (properly) released.

I did also think it would be lots of fun if they did a Taylor’s Version of Look What You Made Me Do that actually had a decent chorus…

Look What You Made Me Do, Shake It Off and ME are absolute dog shit, no wonder many people dislike/hate her music; those are amongst the worst things she has released. Don't @ me.

Look What You Made Me Do, Shake It Off and ME are absolute dog shit, no wonder many people dislike/hate her music; those are amongst the worst things she has released. Don't @ me.

Fair comment, fuck off, yes.

the way professor Taylor rhymed ooouu-wouOH-wooAH with it's a crUUeeEEl suMMmEERR needs to be studied.

agreed but for her to come back with Look What You Made Me Do after the social media lashings she went through was a statement like no other.

there's a reason reputation is the swifties favorite era. it was AN ERA.

Her lead singles set out to get people talking, and thrust her into the STOP FUCKING HATE sidebars and Twitter feeds. They are NOT there to be classics in her back catalogue.

We Are Never, Shake it Off, LWYMMD, and ME! ALL prime examples.

Midnights/Anti-Hero has bucked that trend, because she's so hugely massive now she just didn't need that viralness anymore. She IS the viralness.

agreed but for her to come back with Look What You Made Me Do after the social media lashings she went through was a statement like no other.

Oh PLEASE!

Express yourself, don’t repress yourself.

Reactions: RJN
I love Look What You Made Me Do but only for the verses, really. The chorus doesn’t live up to the high bar they set.

the chorus is damp as hell. but the verses are great. it was just a STATEMENT SINGLE, not a great song per se.

It just pisses me off to no end that most gay parties/gay clubs play Shake It Off as if it were a Taylor staple, it's like the go-to song if you wanna dance to some Taylor.

It also SCREAMS hen night :sour:

Bloody hell :D

"Lover" didn't really land with me, I'll need to dig it out.
Well "already becoming one of her signature songs" might be an exaggeration a bit :D

Lover is probably my favorite of her albums, but I've only gotten into it post lockdown albums. I didn't really like Reputation or Lover when they came out

Lover is timeless, and the tracklist is beautifully chaotic, the last 10 tracks in particular. the album would have been perceived much more positively had she left it titled "Daylight" instead of "Lover" (corny) and released You Need To Calm Down, Cruel Summer, and False God.

Lover is probably my second favourite of the albums at this point. It's overlong but it's pretty solid throughout.

Lover is probably my favorite of her albums, but I've only gotten into it post lockdown albums. I didn't really like Reputation or Lover when they came out

Interesting because I'd lost interest a bit until she dropped 'folklore' (still her best album).

And it's ooh-ooh-ooh-oh-oh
It's a croohooh-ooh-ooh-oh-ohl summer

What an EPIC hook

And then there's the middle 8 :disco:

It just pisses me off to no end that most gay parties/gay clubs play Shake It Off as if it were a Taylor staple, it's like the go-to song if you wanna dance to some Taylor.

It also SCREAMS hen night :sour:

Quite right, they should play "This Is Me Trying" instead, that'll get them JUMPING (from the windows)

Well "already becoming one of her signature songs" might be an exaggeration a bit :D

I've been going back to all the (post-1989) albums this month. Reputation and Lover were both a bit forgotten for me, but I'm enjoying them a lot.

The middle eight is utterly phenomenal isn’t it?

One of the greatest things since sliced bread.

Also, a truly perfectly crafted 3-minute song that doesn't do shortcuts or outstay its welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom