Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I mostly use cash

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
I can't remember the last time I exchanged cash or even owned a bank note.

Having only recently started using my phone (old) in shops, cash is as good as redundant.

BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Yes, IT'S A FUN TIME POLL

I don’t like the horrible shininess of the notes - which is almost certainly deliberately horrible - so I ALMOST ALWAYS use my card

Almost always use my watch or card/ phone if needs be. I did pay my cleaner cash and found the whole thing REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING but I've sacked her now anyway, so at the moment, NADA.

Even my MA has got the habit of transferring stuff online after I've picked up bits.

I did have to buy the Chinese last night in CASH though as they didn't take cards in the shop, but did online, which I found strange...

I had change that sat in my wallet for about a year before I suddenly remembered I could put it in a self checkout to get rid of it. So basically card exclusively.

My barbers have finally got a card machine, so I'm out of reasons to get cash out these days.

I put a few cards in my dad mobile case and I virtually never have to get my wallet out now.

WALLETS DEAD

I do still like COINS and have a change box which I raid every now and then to pay for things in coppers at the self-service and irritate the fuck out of everyone in the queue :disco:

Always have an emergency £10 in a small wallet and I actually did use it the other day when a card machine wasn’t working somewhere

Other than that I don’t even think I need a proper big purse now - most of it was bulked out with various loyalty cards and they’re now all on my phone.

I’m trying to remember the last time I paid for something in cash and I actually can’t

Only when I’m home in Belfast. Before ending up with a leftover fiver that inevitably sits dormant in my wallet until the next time I go.

Paying for anything using my PHONE seems a step too far. I’m already chained to the fucking thing for far too many hours in the day

We’re getting virtual ID’s soon and I don’t think I’ll even carry a wallet any more

Actually worst thing is when I’ll buy something for my mum online (because she’s a bit useless) and then she tries to shove cash on me for some reason.

Actually worst thing is when I’ll buy something for my mum online (because she’s a bit useless) and then she tries to shove cash on me for some reason.
It bothers my dad that I don’t carry cash. I think it’s generational

It really wasn't THAT LONG AGO that cheques were still a thing and further back paying with a card in a shop involved those weird imprint machines.

Reactions: Zu
In recent years I’ve even been abroad without having to exchange currency and use cash at all which is so much easier than having to deal with all that shit.

Except for Germany but even there it’s getting better.

I had to WITHDRAW CASH today to pay for a fucking börek. it's so strange to me. most shops in Amsterdam don't take cash. even my DEALER accepts PIN!

It bothers my dad that I don’t carry cash. I think it’s generational
I was under the impression that the US were quite late to card machines in shops. Although everything has of course escalated in recent years.

I had a few Euros knocking around so used them when I was in Cyprus last week, but other than that I don’t carry any cash. My barbers do take card now but still prefer you to pay cash.

I do quite like it when places only accept cash. The very old school Double Six Café in Euston doesn’t take cards, or at least it didn’t when I was there last :disco:

Must be so much easier for small retail businesses not having to risk getting robbed for the till and traipse their way to do daily bank deposits.

I do quite like it when places only accept cash. The very old school Double Six Café in Euston doesn’t take cards, or at least it didn’t when I was there last :disco:
Those places instantly make me suspicious that they don’t pay the right taxes!

Mostly contactless card, although before I got a card (or phone) pre-2018 it was cash/coins (or parents' money, still is :eyes: ) I paid for one cheque of my own before 'online banking', haha. Although I don't don't readily use it, I still keep some money in a wallet. When my card got cancelled I had to use cash, and was counting coins for a bus ticket in my first year at uni 😅 Card is much easier overall, but collecting 'rare' coins and notes is still fun :D

Those places instantly make me suspicious that they don’t pay the right taxes!
Oh I don’t care about THAT! I’m all for FRAUD if the omelette and chips are of a sufficiently high standard :disco:

this city is full of beggars and sometimes I feel bad for them and want to give them some coins so, I often carry some cash with me.

Also because lately I've been using the In-Driver movility app a lot and its prices are WAY lower than Uber and DiDi but the fallback is they take cash only (It's kind of like a nicer, safe city cab).

• Love
Reactions: Zu
I was under the impression that the US were quite late to card machines in shops. Although everything has of course escalated in recent years.
I think we were. I studied in London for a semester in 2014 and I had to get a new credit card with a chip because we didn’t have them yet

@Pipo Just to clarify that the :disco: wasn’t sarcastic. It was in honour of your being a GOOD CITIZEN

A cash only greasy spoon I think I’m all for. But there’s a scummy shisha bar in Canary Wharf of all places that only accept cash, and they’re rude bastards too.

I rarely give cash to beggars unless I think they genuinely need it and / or are telling the truth. This probably makes me a Bad Man but I’ve had quite enough of yarns and am more likely to give money to someone who says I NEED MONEY FOR CRACK rather than wheeling out some fictitious nonsense

This is going slightly off topic but there is (or at least used to be) a beggar in Hackney who DELIBERATELY MAINTAINS AN OPEN AND HORRIBLE WOUND on his leg and claims to have just fallen off his bike. It does look absolutely awful. I suppose he deserves donations for the horror of the effort if nothing else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom