Do you still use CASH?

Actually it is a poll

• I always/ almost always use cash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I mostly use cash

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I give homeless people money sometimes because I figure that even if they’re lying, you have to be pretty desperate to be begging in the street
I think that’s a nice and kind approach. However I have two (very friendly actually) neighbours who I often see begging at the station and they live in a perfectly lovely flat so aren’t what I would consider desperate. (Well it’s a crack den actually so maybe not.) I think it’s just become what they do to get money. “Take your sticks Jenny! It’s jackpot time!”

This is going slightly off topic but there is (or at least used to be) a beggar in Hackney who DELIBERATELY MAINTAINS AN OPEN AND HORRIBLE WOUND on his leg and claims to have just fallen off his bike. It does look absolutely awful. I suppose he deserves donations for the horror of the effort if nothing else

I read "Hackney" and "OPEN AND HORRIBLE WOUND" and thought this was about our own @Lucille after a night behind the kebab shop.

I literally don't even have my bank card. one snapped and the other I gave to a friend who forgot to give it back (no danger of him abusing it since I'm very broke). god bless contactless.

I do of course have my physical credit card so that I can buy very overpriced t-shirts on a weekend whim when the sun hits right :disco: it's free money innit!

I probably withdraw £30 or £40 a month in cash which I keep in my wallet to pay for small bits in places like newsagents, where I still feel a bit funny paying by card for things like a 'sharing bag' (fuck off) of Discos or a bottle of tonic water from the corner shop by the bus stop because I forgot in the supermarket the other day. The rest is all card. Never set up my phone yet, but it'll happen at some point.

I do use my emergency tenner occasionally to give to beggars. They’re normally elderly women, although I’m aware some are part of organised networks, but I can usually tell. I did get caught in my younger years by a girl claiming to have been raped at the same station every week.

I literally don't even have my bank card. one snapped and the other I gave to a friend who forgot to give it back (no danger of him abusing it since I'm very broke). god bless contactless.

I do of course have my physical credit card so that I can buy very overpriced t-shirts on a weekend whim when the sun hits right :disco: it's free money innit!
Free money AND free goods! That’s the miracle of VISA!

I only withdraw cash when I'm going to the newsagent to top up my pre-payment meter (which I would ideally like to get rid of, it came with the flat but it's an ongoing nightmare trying to figure out who even supplies the electricity :eyes:). Maybe they would take card, I've not tried, but I feel like a newsagent is the kind of place that prefers cash.

Did have to withdraw euros a few months back on holiday in the Algarve, and my parents pay me back in cash if I've paid for stuff like concert tickets. But I've been very much card for years now, with Google Pay creeping in more recently.

Omg Apple Pay is also a DREAM :disco:

Particularly when it comes to filling out card details for something and it’s all already SAVED!

This is going slightly off topic but there is (or at least used to be) a beggar in Hackney who DELIBERATELY MAINTAINS AN OPEN AND HORRIBLE WOUND on his leg and claims to have just fallen off his bike. It does look absolutely awful. I suppose he deserves donations for the horror of the effort if nothing else
There was a guy doing the same thing in the athens metro for over a decade, I haven't seen him lately.

Omg Apple Pay is also a DREAM :disco:

Particularly when it comes to filling out card details for something and it’s all already SAVED!
It’s SO useful with bagging in-demand event tickets with one click. Everything saved and just need to remember 3 lousy digits.

The only problem is that I literally have no idea what my PIN numbers are for any cards now. I had to pay far too much (in cash) than I’d wish to admit for a couple of glasses of wine on the plane last week :D

OTHER PLEASE STATE: I use my watch to pay for basically everything these days. It makes me feel like one of the Jetsons :disco:

I sold my bike a few months a go on Marketplace and asked for cash only (coz it’s the only safe way innit) and realised I had no idea what a Scottish £20 note looks like anymore.

Paid it straight into the bank

I seen some Facebook movement from anti vaxx type people that we shouldn’t use cards because the banks take a cut of every transaction and that £10 you’ve given to a small business trickles down into £0 once evil banks have taken their cut on every transaction :(

Phone and card whenever possible. Some rare places here (specially the PROVINCES and les TABACS) won’t take card payments below a specific amount.

The UK was miles behind- I remember chip and pin being a thing in France WAY before here- but seems to have caught up.

The thing I don't understand is the places that won't accept my watch (as in it isn't authorised rather than them rejecting it personally) but then my phone works fine. It's EXACTLY THE SAME details?

How can you pay with a watch?

Anyway, Im sorry but I would never stop using cash completely. 1, because I don't want the government knowing my every little move, and 2, because I love to see if I have any fancy coins in my change that I can keep - like the Beatrix Potter 50ps for example.

How can you pay with a watch?

Anyway, Im sorry but I would never stop using cash completely. 1, because I don't want the government knowing my every little move, and 2, because I love to see if I have any fancy coins in my change that I can keep - like the Beatrix Potter 50ps for example.

This explains everything

Phone and card whenever possible. Some rare places here (specially the PROVINCES and les TABACS) won’t take card payments below a specific amount.
Is that still a thing in the UK? I remember pre-Covid smaller shops used to have that, but then it was eased to encourage cashless transactions during the pandemic. I think the banks may have waived the transaction fees or made them less punishing at least.

But I don't remember seeing a sign at a counter stating no card transactions under a fiver or a tenner (or charging an extra 50p or whatever for it) for a long time now.

I've never used my phone and refuse to do so - it's a fraud nightmare. Things like Applepay and GooglePay are uncapped so if someone gets in, boom, yr accounts get rinsed.

So it is mostly card with a side order of cash.

I only just started using my phone and it's a REVOLUTION in convenience. Mr Ag loves using his watch, but that's a step too far for me, for now.

Also, I don’t give a fuck about the government knowing what I’m up to. I really am not that interesting, but I guess if they want to know what I’ve whacked up in the Middle of Lidl that week, fill your boots…

Tapping a card s about as easy as it gets - how much more convenient can it be to use your phone?

You don’t have to remember to take a wallet or card out with you. It’s literally on your wrist for the watch so you don’t have to root around for the card in the first place…

Also I don't wear my watch all day. My phone is fairly guaranteed to be in my presence however.

You don’t have to remember to take a wallet or card out with you. It’s literally on your wrist for the watch so you don’t have to root around for the card in the first place…
You won't need to use your brain at all soon, the way things are going!

Also, I don’t give a fuck about the government knowing what I’m up to. I really am not that interesting, but I guess if they want to know what I’ve whacked up in the Middle of Lidl that week, fill your boots…
Quite. My bank account shows me to be largely fairly dull.

I've never used my phone and refuse to do so - it's a fraud nightmare. Things like Applepay and GooglePay are uncapped so if someone gets in, boom, yr accounts get rinsed.

So it is mostly card with a side order of cash.

Isn’t a card uncapped if someone knows your PIN? Much more likely someone can find out your pin than recreating your whole face.

I do still carry cash because it can be useful. I can think of a dozen pubs and a few takeaways around here which are cash-only, and i encountered a few cash only shops in the Lakes a few weeks back. It is the only 100% guaranteed method outside of a city.

But 95% card usually. Doing it on the phone makes me feel very techno but i genuinely use a selection of 3-4 accounts and i find it a bit fiddly to select between them.

Cash only places is such an alien thing here; it’s on the other hand more and more common with ”no cash” places, especially small businesses here.

Very very rarely. Takeaways around here only accept cash. A lazy present of cash is usually bank transferred now to family but I do still occasionally give cash in a card at a wedding if I am feeling uninspired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom