Do you still use CASH?

Actually it is a poll

• I always/ almost always use cash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I mostly use cash

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I still haven’t figured out how to use my phone to pay for things to be honest.

Is cash likely to disappear completely?
Probably not, but decrease massively in general use, to the point of it existing in the same way fax machines and black and white TVs still exist.

I imagine it still serves a purpose, invisible to us mere mortals.

I imagine it still serves a purpose, invisible to us mere mortals.

Possibly for people over a certain age? I’m not sure what age that would be exactly as everyone has different capabilities. My mother still pays majority cash and still likes to visit a bank and doesn’t do online banking as she doesn’t trust it. The main issue being that when she wants to go to the bank it is an 80 mile round trip.

If there was a major cyber attack or a nation wide power outage, it would be hard to pay with your phone or card, on the other hand most places wouldn’t be able to sell anything because all cashier systems are digital anyway.

Card 98% of the time. Iceland is mostly cashless anyway. Seldom do locals have cash on them. Worked in retail in Reykjavík and its not uncommon to see a young kid go into a store with mum/grandmas creditcard.

That said I think we problem have the opposite problem to Germany, where people just put everything on plastic and hand over their information without a care in the world.

I get nervous using my phone. I've tried it before and it absolutely worked seamlessly, but the fear of it all going wrong and making me look foolish is too great, so I use my card 99%. Same goes for my Oyster Card which I still use religiously to ensure I'm saved from the inevitable huff and puff, or worse, the TUT from behind me.

I did get a telling off in the corner shop the other day as they have a sign up saying £5 minimum but never enforce it. The woman obviously decided in that moment she wanted to make my life ever so slightly inconvenient however.

The barber's only take cash. They're probably a front for something. I want to peek backstage one day and see what they've got going on.

I have apple pay, but for some reason I usually always use my card to tap as I just feel more comfortable doing that for some reason than my phone.
I've got a revolute too just to transfer money to to use abroad which wouldn't be so bad losing or helps keep tab of what you are spending.
So mostly use my card/phone. Will have some cash sometimes as some of the businesses round here, pubs/salon/takeaways only take cash, for primarily dodgy reasons I am sure :D

the fear of it all going wrong and making me look foolish is too great,
I find this useful. I have my amex on my phone, and if my phone doesn't work I can switch to my pleb card without being THAT GUY saying "oh, you don't take Amex?"

You won't need to use your brain at all soon, the way things are going!

I literally work in one of the industries supposedly most in danger of AI and have heard this argument for years- especially as we've been one of the industries who have adopted/ worked with AI the longest (ChatGPT was no surprise to those who use machine translation daily!). However, translation has adapted to survive and so will everything else. We'll always need humans, though with "brains" is arguable.

And I'm not sure how the convenience of using a different method to doing EXACTLY the same thing a card does, only easier, is an issue. If you think the government is capable of spying on your data with Apple Pay, it sure as hell can do it with a bank card. The conspiracy theory involved is, frankly, HORSESHIT.

As an occasional visitor travel in London it's much easier without Oyster. Buses have suddenly become available again. That with Google maps, London is so fucking easy to navigate now.

TAPPY TAP EVERYWHERE

I pretty much only use cash to buy drugs these days. Even when I have notes in my wallet I forget and use card/apple wallet.

I had £30 in my wallet for ages because I kept just withdrawing the amount needed for drugs at the time, then Ms Ron found it and spent it, which is another reason I don't have cash on me often.

I literally work in one of the industries supposedly most in danger of AI and have heard this argument for years- especially as we've been one of the industries who have adopted/ worked with AI the longest (ChatGPT was no surprise to those who use machine translation daily!). However, translation has adapted to survive and so will everything else. We'll always need humans, though with "brains" is arguable.
Nosy bitch alert! How has translation adapted?

Nosy bitch alert! How has translation adapted?

AI- developed machine translation has been a thing really for the past ten years. It started off rudimentary but the improvements in neural machine translation and using trained machine translation engines have seen quality improved immensely- in certain language pairs. (It's still going to struggle with character based languages and rarer stuff). The translation industry has developed its business model accordingly- so the massive companies now have seamless AI- driven workflows which have built in machine translation elements, for one thing.

To give a ridiculously basic example- Amazon list a new item and the AI- driven system automatically recognises what market that is going to be sold in, pushes that to whatever translation company they use, who then push it through a trained, machine translation engine and directly to a human translation editor at the other end who checks the translation, amends as necessary and pushes back through the system to land back directly on Amazon's platform, often within minutes of it being requested. Amazon then only pay for the level of editing the human has had to do, rather than the entire word count- saving money, both Amazon and the translation agency have little to no human project management involvement and the whole thing is handled super quick- sometimes, for the big big companies, within minutes, meaning the "to market" time of items is lightning fast. It also means that we can handle more content for a cheaper price- so translators are handling 10000 words a day rather than 2000, but at a lower rate, which means client costs are cheaper, but the translators are still (effectively) getting paid the same amount of money for a day's work as they can handle higher volumes. The amount of content being localised is going up day by day- the globalisation of industry and entertainment (hello Netflix!) is massive and AI has meant we can cope with the shift.

The likes of Google Translate are a basic example of how machine translation works, but proper, trained, ringfenced engines which can learn how to write in a client's style are now the norm and the quality is way higher than the likes of the free versions you can find on the internet (such as Google Translate, Bing etc.).

My business isn't tech focused enough yet to use it to that level, although I absolutely use machine translation for certain clients and certain jobs. (For example, if a legal client has 5000 pages of emails to wade through to look for evidence, I will machine translate it for them for a small fee, then they pick what they actually want properly translating to a level that they can be sure is accurate). Also, my client base is still fairly old fashioned (I do a lot of sports law/ legal and financial/ marketing stuff for the sports industry, for which people still look more to solely human translation), but I am going to have adapt or die eventually too, I understand that- I just hope I can get big(ger) enough to afford someone to deal with that when I need to, as I'm not the most techy person in the world. I lost the first client I ever had this year and who absolutely loved me, but who were swayed by one of the big agencies offering a tech solution like the above. Annoyingly, they didn't even talk to me, as I absolutely could have found them a solution that worked, but they just presumed I was too small to handle it.

Does that answer the question!? Sorry, I did ramble a bit... :D

Isn’t a card uncapped if someone knows your PIN? Much more likely someone can find out your pin than recreating your whole face.

Eventually, yr bank's security system should kick in, especially if the thief is trying to make big purchases to resell the goods like iPhones. Might even block it straight away. But get if your card gets registered to someone's Applepay (because they'll be able to read the code in the text without unlocking yr phone) and you're fucked.

You have to approve the addition of a card to Apple Pay via your online banking app. You can't just add any old card you like.

I would have thought the risk of someone skimming your physical card with an RFID scanner and then using that on a dummy contactless card is far greater risk than applepay.

As Christian says, data is provided through online banking on your device, which you need to use either a passcode or facial recognition to access, then you have to instruct the app to pass data to apple to encode the card on the device. Then to use that payment method, you have to again use a passcode (6 digits min) or facial scan.

To give Apple their dues, they're fucking massive on privacy.

I mostly pay contactless by card, I don't have any payment things set up on my phone.

I always pay my mechanic in cash and I'll always use cash in corner shops unless I'm buying fags.

AI- developed machine translation has been a thing really for the past ten years. It started off rudimentary but the improvements in neural machine translation and using trained machine translation engines have seen quality improved immensely- in certain language pairs. (It's still going to struggle with character based languages and rarer stuff). The translation industry has developed its business model accordingly- so the massive companies now have seamless AI- driven workflows which have built in machine translation elements, for one thing.

To give a ridiculously basic example- Amazon list a new item and the AI- driven system automatically recognises what market that is going to be sold in, pushes that to whatever translation company they use, who then push it through a trained, machine translation engine and directly to a human translation editor at the other end who checks the translation, amends as necessary and pushes back through the system to land back directly on Amazon's platform, often within minutes of it being requested. Amazon then only pay for the level of editing the human has had to do, rather than the entire word count- saving money, both Amazon and the translation agency have little to no human project management involvement and the whole thing is handled super quick- sometimes, for the big big companies, within minutes, meaning the "to market" time of items is lightning fast. It also means that we can handle more content for a cheaper price- so translators are handling 10000 words a day rather than 2000, but at a lower rate, which means client costs are cheaper, but the translators are still (effectively) getting paid the same amount of money for a day's work as they can handle higher volumes. The amount of content being localised is going up day by day- the globalisation of industry and entertainment (hello Netflix!) is massive and AI has meant we can cope with the shift.

The likes of Google Translate are a basic example of how machine translation works, but proper, trained, ringfenced engines which can learn how to write in a client's style are now the norm and the quality is way higher than the likes of the free versions you can find on the internet (such as Google Translate, Bing etc.).

My business isn't tech focused enough yet to use it to that level, although I absolutely use machine translation for certain clients and certain jobs. (For example, if a legal client has 5000 pages of emails to wade through to look for evidence, I will machine translate it for them for a small fee, then they pick what they actually want properly translating to a level that they can be sure is accurate). Also, my client base is still fairly old fashioned (I do a lot of sports law/ legal and financial/ marketing stuff for the sports industry, for which people still look more to solely human translation), but I am going to have adapt or die eventually too, I understand that- I just hope I can get big(ger) enough to afford someone to deal with that when I need to, as I'm not the most techy person in the world. I lost the first client I ever had this year and who absolutely loved me, but who were swayed by one of the big agencies offering a tech solution like the above. Annoyingly, they didn't even talk to me, as I absolutely could have found them a solution that worked, but they just presumed I was too small to handle it.

Does that answer the question!? Sorry, I did ramble a bit... :D

That's interesting to hear. I work as a translator for a business software company and we do use MT extensively, but most texts do indeed get reviewed by a human translator. MT is fine for documentation, troubleshooting documents and marketing, but it doesn't really work for UI texts atm because you have no context for pushbuttons, fields etc., so there are too many mistranslations. Thankfully my job requires me to produce "beautiful" translations (not for software-related texts) in my first language and MT isn't really at a point where you can just hand over the output to readers without adjusting it. Another issue is that translation software is often cloud-based, so your confidential data may end up on some provider's cloud that could be hacked or viewed by people that shouldn't see it.

Regarding cash: I still use cash, mainly at farmers markets here in the West of Ireland or for tips in restaurants - I don't like staff checking how much I have left before I'm out the door :D
I also have cash for handymen, plumbers etc., haven't come across one that uses card machines!
I have some friends who mainly use cash and will tell me that "cash is king" whenever the topic comes up.

And - as already mentioned - I need cash whenever I visit my family in Germany, there are still lots of shops in smaller places that won't accept or will only accept certain (German) cards.

I still haven’t figured out how to use my phone to pay for things to be honest.
I started setting it up about a month ago, hit a problem and just thought fuck and left it.

I started setting it up about a month ago, hit a problem and just thought fuck and left it.
Do you have online banking set up using an app on your phone? It's very straightforward if you do.

If you have to set up the online banking app first, there are a few more hurdles to jump through first.

I'll do me and everyone else can do them. I don't see it as anyone's business really what anybody else does.

Do you have online banking set up using an app on your phone? It's very straightforward if you do.

If you have to set up the online banking app first, there are a few more hurdles to jump through first.
No, I don't have any apps for banking. And I avoid using online banking at all on my phone. I'll only do it from home on my WiFi on the tablet or laptop.

Oh God, I've become my mother when they started phasing out cheques, haven't it?

• Haha
Reactions: Zu
It’s good to keep up though because otherwise you just get let behind. Getting left behind before you’re a pensioner would just be embarrassing.

No, I don't have any apps for banking. And I avoid using online banking at all on my phone. I'll only do it from home on my WiFi on the tablet or laptop.

Oh God, I've become my mother when they started phasing out cheques, haven't it?
:D Dear Lord. SORT IT OUT!

That's interesting to hear. I work as a translator for a business software company and we do use MT extensively, but most texts do indeed get reviewed by a human translator. MT is fine for documentation, troubleshooting documents and marketing, but it doesn't really work for UI texts atm because you have no context for pushbuttons, fields etc., so there are too many mistranslations. Thankfully my job requires me to produce "beautiful" translations (not for software-related texts) in my first language and MT isn't really at a point where you can just hand over the output to readers without adjusting it. Another issue is that translation software is often cloud-based, so your confidential data may end up on some provider's cloud that could be hacked or viewed by people that shouldn't see it.

Regarding cash: I still use cash, mainly at farmers markets here in the West of Ireland or for tips in restaurants - I don't like staff checking how much I have left before I'm out the door :D
I also have cash for handymen, plumbers etc., haven't come across one that uses card machines!
I have some friends who mainly use cash and will tell me that "cash is king" whenever the topic comes up.

And - as already mentioned - I need cash whenever I visit my family in Germany, there are still lots of shops in smaller places that won't accept or will only accept certain (German) cards.

You and I keep having rather niche things in common! :D

I agree for the most part, but there are some who just don't give enough of a shit about that right now. AI/ MT improves daily and for some, is already at a good enough level "to do". I think that the art of translation is one that will always exist, but the way we do it will evolve. MTPE (Machine Translation Post Editing/Editors) are now the norm and old school linguists who won't touch it are going to be left behind unless they're the absolute top drawer of creatives in fields like advertising/ literary etc. who will always find work.

As for the confidentiality issue, that's something which is only generally the case for. Your data is your own and can be secured yourself if you have the paid versions of translation software- and nowadays, cloud based software is arguably more secure than anything else. A major software supplier is also going to have better security systems than I could manage solo. The free versions of Google Translate, however, have it in the small print that they "own" your data once you/ they put it in their system

You and I keep having rather niche things in common! :D

I agree for the most part, but there are some who just don't give enough of a shit about that right now. AI/ MT improves daily and for some, is already at a good enough level "to do". I think that the art of translation is one that will always exist, but the way we do it will evolve. MTPE (Machine Translation Post Editing/Editors) are now the norm and old school linguists who won't touch it are going to be left behind unless they're the absolute top drawer of creatives in fields like advertising/ literary etc. who will always find work.

We've started using a plug which uses GPT3 and pre-determined prompts. We only use it for news, where there is a set formula for the structure of an article. It's shit for creative writing, but for formulaic, black and white structured copy its fine. It always gets edited and double fact checked, but so far, using that method, we've done fine. (And passed a couple of AI checks!)

The apps are a lot more secure than websites, even accessing them from home. Definitely worth trying out.

I had online banking blocked off for me for years because I fell for some scam back in 2002 when it wasn’t so secure, and they would never send me one of those PINsentry machines (they didn’t exist in 2002 at least not with my bank). They only lifted it when mobile banking was launched, which is so much more secure.

We've started using a plug which uses GPT3 and pre-determined prompts. We only use it for news, where there is a set formula for the structure of an article. It's shit for creative writing, but for formulaic, black and white structured copy its fine. It always gets edited and double fact checked, but so far, using that method, we've done fine. (And passed a couple of AI checks!)

Indeed, it's pretty crazy. I've started using ChatGPT to check (non- confidential) translations and it's insane what it picks up.

But it's also interesting that it can't always cope. I found a major error in a translation yesterday where the translator had misused the word "if" instead of "unless", changing the meaning in a contract from "this contract shall not terminate if the footballer stops playing football" to "this contract shall not terminate unless the footballer stops playing football"- totally missed that and told me everything was fine. Checked it with the translator as it was obvious to me reading it that that couldn't be right and sure enough, it was a mistake.

It's still got a long way to go to handle nuance.

I do have one bank app on my phone but it's not my main bank account. I had to set it up last year when I was in hospital so that I could transfer money to my mum for shopping as Mr F is utterly useless. Once I was out of hospital I put the app on Mr F's phone too and showed him how to do an online shopping order so at least he'll be able to eat if I die without relying on a 70-odd year old woman to go to the supermarket for him.

It causes me insecurity. I understand now how elderly people felt when they realised they have to use the atm instead of queuing up for the bank clerk.
I remember in the early nineties I'd go in to the bank in our village and ask to withdraw cash because they didn't have a ATM, I only had to sign for it once and that was because the usual staff were both off on the same day and the replacement person was from another branch. Other than that I'd just hand over my cash card and tell them how much I wanted, they stuck it in a machine, tapped a few buttons and voila!, cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom