funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

Listen LOVES I’m just bringing you out of your echo chamber for a second to consider that maybe there’s another way of looking at Our Kylie

I’m not going to like every other album track we know this okerrrrrr

I should NOT have gone chronological :evil:

This is KYLIE MINOGUE. There is no “other way” to listen to KYLIE MINOGUE whatsoever and we don’t want some GAY SHAME INFLUENCER to tell us otherwise. FUCK OFF.

200.gif

Well after that odd little interlude, shall we crack on?

I'm not expecting much from this album, but I have high hopes from album 3 onwards. In the meantime...

04 Hand On Your Heart
05 Wouldn't Change A Thing
04 Never Too Late
06 Nothing To Lose
07 Tell-Tale Signs
02 My Secret Heart
03 I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)
05 Tears On My Pillow
05 Heaven And Earth
08 Enjoy Yourself

Any keepers for my Kylie Playlist?
"Enjoy Yourself"

Current Overall Top Ten:

1. Look My Way (Kylie)
2. Enjoy Yourself (Enjoy Yourself)
3. Tell-Tale Signs (Enjoy Yourself)
4. It's No Secret (Kylie)
5. Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi (Kylie)
6. Nothing To Lose (Enjoy Yourself)
7. I Should Be So Lucky (Kylie)
8. Wouldn't Change A Thing (Enjoy Yourself)
9. Heaven And Earth (Enjoy Yourself)
10. Tears On My Pillow (Enjoy Yourself)

Last edited:
04 Hand On Your Heart - objectively I can see the BOP here, and clearly a good choice for a single, but it's not my bag, and it doesn't seem to do anything new since the first album (although I'm sure they were determined to flog that particular success a bit longer and why not). Much like tracks from the first album, I don't HATE this as much as I thought I would.

05 Wouldn't Change A Thing - this opens really great with that house-friendly beat, but then quickly retracts back into familiar SAW territory. It's a very interchangeable sound - I could hear this on Donna's album which I think is from the same year. Another strong europop track that is still very much outside my remit.

04 Never Too Late - bit of a broken record for me here, all very typical SAW late 80s pop production, plus these were all singles I do recall. Strangely I recall them better than the singles from the first album (apart from ISBSL). Not sure why. So far it feels like the second album has a bit more of an upbeat feel. A higher tempo than the first album.

06 Nothing To Lose - OK so this is a bit more me, those strings and the piano are giving me more of an early house influence. But it's still very much a pop song obvs. I like the vocal more in this, with a slightly more soulful leaning. I don't think this was a single, but it could have been IMO...

07 Tell-Tale Signs - I quite like this. I wasn't sure at first, a bit of a jarring shift in tempo, but it works well, and I probably would have enjoyed this even more pre-Christmas as it has that classic big band ballad sound. What I like about Kylie the megapop star is that she isn't just some face dragged off the (Ramsay) street into the recording studio like many others - she does actually have some nice pipes.

02 My Secret Heart - this album is a bit strange, two string ballads after a run of big pop numbers and they're both very short... this is almost like an extended interlude. This does nothing for me. At least the last track gave her scope for a bit of vocal range but this is more like a novelty track. It reminds me of Dear Jessie a bit. It's not hateful, it just seems like a waste.

03 I'm Over Dreaming (Over You) - and we're back to the SAW pop. They should have given this to Sonia. The weakest so far. Objectively it's all very BIG in terms of pop numbers but I'm not feeling it. So far the first album is feeling much more important.

05 Tears On My Pillow - I was ready to hate this, but it's not bad I guess. I hated it when it was out at the time, I do remember that, but maybe time has been kind as I have more of an appreciate for a classic pop sound. This is certainly an album of two distinct halves so far.

05 Heaven And Earth - OK so the brief for this album was "more first-album-type pop bangers and a bunch of classic sounding ballads"... I had no idea and it's a strange mix to me. That said, this is also not too bad. I'm just curious what her / their thinking was to go so heavy on this sound when it wasn't really part of her first album...

08 Enjoy Yourself - Ooh a strong ending. Yeah I'm liking this. This feels like a nice precursor / segueway to album 3. I don't think I've ever heard this before either. I bumped this from a 6 to an 8 through the course of listening to it. I'm also getting some PSB vibes from it. Curious how much input she had into this, and whether it was the start of her pushing for a shift in sound.

Well overall not great, but hardly a disappointment as I had low expectations for this album. I didn't hate it the way I expected to but I think time has been kind to the 80s for me the last few years. Even the sounds I don't really care for.

Post updated:

Any keepers for my Kylie Playlist?
"Enjoy Yourself"

Current Overall Top Ten:

1. Look My Way (Kylie)
2. Enjoy Yourself (Enjoy Yourself)
3. Tell-Tale Signs (Enjoy Yourself)
4. It's No Secret (Kylie)
5. Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi (Kylie)
6. Nothing To Lose (Enjoy Yourself)
7. I Should Be So Lucky (Kylie)
8. Wouldn't Change A Thing (Enjoy Yourself)
9. Heaven And Earth (Enjoy Yourself)
10. Tears On My Pillow (Enjoy Yourself)

I'm looking forward to album 3. I hope for my sake I like it :D

02 My Secret Heart - this album is a bit strange, two string ballads after a run of big pop numbers and they're both very short... this is almost like an extended interlude. This does nothing for me. At least the last track gave her scope for a bit of vocal range but this is more like a novelty track. It reminds me of Dear Jessie a bit. It's not hateful, it just seems like a waste.

My Secret Heart is so TRANSPARENTLY influenced by Dear Jessie it's not even funny. I even thought it as a 12 year old.

My Secret Heart is so TRANSPARENTLY influenced by Dear Jessie it's not even funny. I even thought it as a 12 year old.

Well I didn't want to say influenced, because wouldn't they have been released around the exact same time?

Actually no thinking about it, wasn't LAP out in early 89, and I imagine this was late 89...

They were both 89 but Like A Prayer was definitely earlier.

She would never have admitted it back then but that album must have had her clamouring to SAW to write stuff like that for her or perhaps it was their attempt to appease her in the same way that Better The Devil you Know was penned because she wanted her new sound to be a bit like Cathy Dennis and D Mob.

The singles that I'm familliar with from album 3 are definitely D Mob leaning and also that shift in pop at the time in 1990 that was influenced by the house movement / new summer of love and late 60s fashion - Betty Boo, Deee Lite, etc. So I'm hoping the album has more of the same. I was very into the music at that time and it's almost strange that Kylie's third album never crossed my path. Especially given I was a very invested 10 year old when the first album came out.

I can't really remember anymore but I got really into hip-hop and dance music in 1990 and I think there was a general rejection of most pop music for a while, so it's kind of ironic that Kylie was actually embracing it as well and I never got into it. Coincidentally, I was very much into Dannii's first album for the exact same reason. I was a huge fan of the "Success" single.

Reactions: VoR
Actually it wasn't Boo. Sorry, it's my age. I was thinking of Wendy James from Transvision Vamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom