funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

02 I Miss You - I don't think I listened to side 2 very much as these don't sound anywhere near as familiar. Again it's all a bit samey, but this is reminding me a bit of the late 80s pop-new romance artists like Johnny Hates Jazz, Brother Beyond and Climie Fisher. Forgettable.

To be fair I did forget the disclaimer that I HATE this sort of sound. I'm actually being VERY FAIR :)

04 I'll Still Be Loving You - at least this is a change of pace. This has more of a classic sound really. Stands up better than some of the other stuff. But I struggled to get through the whole song, not gonna lie

Really though, I think this is interesting and that she has albums you’ll like a lot more than this one

Reactions: COB
Since Funky is doing this, I’ll go next with an artist I like as much as he does Kylie. Get ready for:

RJN does KoЯn

:D It was always going to be a slow start. Be patient young sir.

09 Look My Way - Okay, what fucking SORCERY is this? :o Kylie did R&B on her debut album? Why was I never informed of this? I'm curious if anyone knows, did SAW produce this? You could hear this on Madonna's True Blue album, or maybe it could be a cover of a Evelyn Champagne King or Patrice Rushen rare groove. I fucking LOVE THIS. What a discovery, and so early on. Such an anthemic chorus and the production is divine.

I'm listening to this AGAIN.

I bet moopy hates it.

The avatar gives it away, but funky will surely enjoy KM94 (and CREAM his JEANS for Body Language, I hope!)

Based on the album cover only when I was looking for images for my montage :D

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
03 Love At First Sight - Okay so this brought be right back to earth... I had no idea LAFS (2002 version) was a sequel of SORTS. This sounds like about three other songs on this album. It's a cute bop but it's not for me.

I'm still reeling over that other song. I see nobody from moopy cares that I love a song from her debut song. This is MONUMENTAL. I may as well QUIT NOW.

I don't know this for certain, but given the time and SAW's penchant for recycling, I would imagine Look My Way was originally written with Princess in mind.

Main post updated:

Any keepers for my Kylie Playlist? "Look My Way"

Current Overall Top Ten:

1. Look My Way
2. It's No Secret
3. Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
4. I Should Be So Lucky
5. I'll Still Be Loving You
6. Got To Be Certain
7. Love At First Sight
8. Turn It Into Love
9. I Miss You
10. The Loco-Motion

tune in for part 2 #comingsoon

:cry: at the disdain for Turn It Into Love. Nostalgia aside, it is the ONETRUE STONE COLD BOP from the debut album (for which I have a lot of time these days).

I don't know this for certain, but given the time and SAW's penchant for recycling, I would imagine Look My Way was originally written with Princess in mind.

that would have been amazing, but it's actually more interesting that it's a Kylie throwaway album track from her debut album.

Apologies all for the "Turn It Into Love" disappointment, it's WAY too camp for me, and equally I forgive you all for focusing your attention on that nonsense when "Look My Way" was right in front of your noses ALL THIS TIME.

A really early and rather good live performance of Look My Way:

Wow. And those stunning vocals too. Wonder why this was performed live? Was this early into the campaign and maybe it was earmarked to be a single at one point, but they got scared about confusing her sound and stuck with the tried and tested after the succces of ISBSL? Hardly an error as the debut album was a huge success, but this could have been a "Say You'll Be There" type follow up single that brought in a broader audience...

I could be wrong but I think Look My Way is also the only song on the album where her vocal isn't double tracked.

I'm still reeling over that other song. I see nobody from moopy cares that I love a song from her debut song. This is MONUMENTAL. I may as well QUIT NOW.
:D

Look My Way is good but I don’t think it’s that special... I hope all your favorites are equally overlooked by her fans

06 It's No Secret - I don't think this was a single but I actually remember this.
It was chosen as a single in some territories instead of Hand on Your Heart.

02 Turn It Into Love - oh this must be the song @RJN is talking about? This sounds like classic camp drama. You can hear Steps singing this. It's all getting a bit samey for me now and this is the sort of SAW melodrama I don't care for. It sounds so interchangeable, like it could be Sonia singing, or Sinitta. Sorry fans if this is a favourite, I don't get it. Saying all that I'm not sure why it wasn't a single, it has all the ingredients.

It was a single but only in Japan and the Same Difference version is probably the closest to what Steps would have sounded like (production wise) covering it.

It was a rip-off homage to a song called Rock Steady by The Whispers and earmarked for Haywoode before being snatched for Kylie. However, Haywoode released her own tinny version a few years ago.

That's such a twilight zone headfuck moment that Haywoode does a pop version of Kylie's R&B version from 1988 😵‍💫

Speaking of Haywoode, she's tragically underrepresented on Spotify. Her old stuff anyway.

A 2 for "Turn it into Love"?

And I Oop Whatcha Say GIF by Jasmine Masters

Also: I'm going to have to cancel over that Je ne sais pas pourquoi rate. It's one of the finest pop ballads ever recorded. It wouldn't fit on True Blue, because it's too good.

Look My Way is my favourite from the album too. It was written with Haywoode, who had a hit with ‘Roses’, in mind which is why she covered it a couple of years ago.

Wow. And those stunning vocals too. Wonder why this was performed live? Was this early into the campaign and maybe it was earmarked to be a single at one point, but they got scared about confusing her sound and stuck with the tried and tested after the succces of ISBSL? Hardly an error as the debut album was a huge success, but this could have been a "Say You'll Be There" type follow up single that brought in a broader audience...

In response to this question, it wouldn't surprise me if Kylie chose to perform it herself. For one, the performance was in Australia (away from SAW's grasp) and secondly we all know that her preferences swayed that way prior to recording her debut (all three songs on her demo tape were R&B numbers).

I know it’s already been said but I just had to come here and declare this NULL AND VOID for La Funk giving Turn It Into Love that score.

What next? I mean, I will cut a bitch if anything along the lines of:

“Your Disco Needs You- “bit too gay”. 1/10.”

is considered.

If Funky is opposed to camp drama, he's going to hate Your Disco Needs You

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom