Greta Gerwig's Barbie (Margot Robbie)

Life in plastic = fantastic?

• Total voters
799314.jpg

Twitter having a rage about there being a trans actor playing one of the Barbies. Like they literally have to bring TERFism into EVERYTHING. It's bizarre.

So I liked it but the schlocky ending

America Ferreira was great and that monologue was fabulous, Margot and Ryan were also both brilliant and I enjoyed a lot of it muchly.

BUT

I didn’t LOL very much and I expected to, it wasn’t quite camp enough for my liking and, most importantly, why the fuck in a supposedly flag waving feminist movie did the apex and crescendo scene of the entire film fall to the Kens? That just seemed entirely out of sync. Though I understand the argument that in Barbieland Ken never had his moment, it just didn’t sit right.

Anyway, 7.5/10

So I liked it but the schlocky ending

America Ferreira was great and that monologue was fabulous, Margot and Ryan were also both brilliant and I enjoyed a lot of it muchly.

BUT

I didn’t LOL very much and I expected to, it wasn’t quite camp enough for my liking and, most importantly, why the fuck in a supposedly flag waving feminist movie did the apex and crescendo scene of the entire film fall to the Kens? That just seemed entirely out of sync. Though I understand the argument that in Barbieland Ken never had his moment, it just didn’t sit right.

Anyway, 7.5/10
It may be obvious, but maybe as feminism is about equality, so turning it around to have the Kens fighting for equality in Barbieland makes it seem all the more ridiculous that it even has to be done for women in the real world? Yet before they got equality, they had to dominate and take over the world to try and switch the roles just to be noticed by the Barbies.

i loved the line at the end with the Ken wanting to be on the Supreme Court :D

I can see Ryan Gosling getting one, and America Ferrera and Margot Robbie hopefully!
if Ryan gets one over Margot the Oscars are TOAST! sorry but while he was perfect for the role, it didn't require anything beyond comedic chops. Margot brought her ENTIRE RANGE.

Reactions: LTZ
Wouldn't be surprised if they pushed Gosling for Supporting though just to give it more chance of landing a nom.

It may be obvious, but maybe as feminism is about equality, so turning it around to have the Kens fighting for equality in Barbieland makes it seem all the more ridiculous that it even has to be done for women in the real world? Yet before they got equality, they had to dominate and take over the world to try and switch the roles just to be noticed by the Barbies.

i loved the line at the end with the Ken wanting to be on the Supreme Court :D

I agree with all of that but did it have to be literally the apex of the movie and also the best/ main song?

It’s not about the plot point. It just seems odd that the men were given the main spotlight in a film so obviously based in feminism.

I agree with all of that but did it have to be literally the apex of the movie and also the best/ main song?

It’s not about the plot point. It just seems odd that the men were given the main spotlight in a film so obviously based in feminism.

I didn’t really feel like that to be honest? I guess looking back it WAS the apex of the movie but I barely registered that at the time as the big speech from Ferrera was what really hit me towards the end of the movie as the TRUE apex of everything.

I enjoyed it, though I agree with @Sheena that the messaging and focus noticeably shifts at the end. I expected after having done that, there would be a scene drawing those comparisons to the struggle women face in the real world. But it just seemed to settle on the point that the Barbie's know their worth and the Ken's need to find theirs...which is fine, but not really where the narrative started.

The Will Ferrell stuff felt very superfluous and the way a lot of it was physically acted felt jarringly different from everything else, but it was relatively brief to the extent that there were moments I completely forgot about the sub-plot altogether.

I also can't really believe the scene/joke they ended the movie on, which felt quite reductive given the wider themes of the movie and didn't get a single reaction at the screening I attended.

Oh she has a vagina now. LOL :eyes:

But in terms of leading cast, costumes, soundtrack, set design, etc. it was terrific. I loved all the references to old dolls which I knew nothing about. Some of those concepts over the years are :D and I love that they went right in on Mattel's failures as much as their successes.

I enjoyed it, though I agree with @Sheena that the messaging and focus noticeably shifts at the end. I expected after having done that, there would be a scene drawing those comparisons to the struggle women face in the real world. But it just seemed to settle on the point that the Barbie's know their worth and the Ken's need to find theirs...which is fine, but not really where the narrative started.

The Will Ferrell stuff felt very superfluous and the way a lot of it was physically acted felt jarringly different from everything else, but it was relatively brief to the extent that there were moments I completely forgot about the sub-plot altogether.

I also can't really believe the scene/joke they ended the movie on, which felt quite reductive given the wider themes of the movie and didn't get a single reaction at the screening I attended.

Oh she has a vagina now. LOL :eyes:

But in terms of leading cast, costumes, soundtrack, set design, etc. it was terrific. I loved all the references to old dolls which I knew nothing about. Some of those concepts over the years are :D and I love that they went right in on Mattel's failures as much as their successes.
it got one of the biggest laughs of the film but maybe that's just Paris. I took it not as 'she has a vagina now' but that she wants to take care about whatever it is she has / wants .. an act of 'taking your destiny in your own hands' .. but I realise everyone puts their own spin on this. Is there any official explanation from Greta G?

Oh I found Will Ferrell really annoying but I always do. Why did those Mattel staff all behave and move like non-humans? It didn’t make sense.

I didn't really understand the Sex Education guy who was the "normal" Mattel staff member. Surely a lot of that ended up on the cutting room floor, because he was weirdly underdeveloped and there was literally NO point in him being in the movie after he initially told the head honchos what was going on.

I liked it a lot, but the ending part with Ruth Handler did feel a bit heavy handed and like a last ditch attempt to make us think that actually Barbie at its heart (and Mattel) are pro women and great.

I absolutely ADORED this. It made me laugh lots, it felt like they were all having fun, it looked DELIGHTFUL and I liked so much of what it had to say. And it was so lovely to see a big, unashamedly commercial and entertaining film where I just didn't really know what was going to happen next at any given time. When could you last say THAT about a summer blockbuster?

Gosling was good, but Margot Robbie really was perfect. And I loved how much screentime all the random UK actors in supporting roles got! Only the Bridgerton Derry Girl got paid dirt on that front.

Also getting in to see this was surprisingly harder than we expected. Basically every central London cinema sold out on a week night??? I didn't think that had happened since, like, the 1940s

If the Academy has any sense (and it doesn’t), it will throw this a Best Picture nomination

I could deffs see it getting a Best Picture nom (it's going to make SO MUCH MONEY and there'll surely be an #Oscars4Barbie social campaign that the Academy will lean into as much as possible for relevance).

Nominations (and maybe a win?) for best adapted screenplay, plus costume/production design, and acting noms for at least Margot and/or Gosling, wouldn't feel surprising to me either?

Rob Brydon turning up as Sugar Daddy Ken killed me.

And alongside the gay icon that is EARRING MAGIC KEN too :disco:

KenGlamourShot.jpg

Oh WHOOPS, sorry the Irish

I even changed it from 'British actors' to 'UK actors' in the thinking that she really was a school girl from Derry and I wanted to be inclusive.

• Care
Reactions: dUb
I enjoyed this a lot, although couldn’t help but feel Ryan completely stole the show here, every single line no matter how innocuous was delivered perfectly, really hope he gets an Oscar nom for it.

I can’t quite remember a film in recent memory being this HUGE? My local cinema had 13 screenings of it yesterday!

I thought this was cute, it was a bit too chaotic for me to get into but it looked pretty, wasn’t too long and had some fun songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom