Greta Gerwig's Barbie (Margot Robbie)

Life in plastic = fantastic?

• Total voters
Love these Barbie box office STATS from Deadline -

The Margot Robbie-starrer is now the third-biggest film of the year worldwide and the fourth biggest for international.

The Barbies have already surpassed the lifetimes of an extensive list: Ant-Man and the Wasp, Wonder Woman, The Batman, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Kong: Skull Island, Man of Steel, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, It and Godzilla Vs Kong.

In like-for-like markets and using today’s exchange rates, the film is tracking on par with Frozen II, 92% above Wonder Woman, 195% over Cinderella and 213% ahead of The Little Mermaid.

After the initial anti feeling towards this, not because of whatever gender identity or political reasons that some people seem to be against it, but because it sounded as exciting as the Lego or the Emoji movies, I was curious to watch it since people said it was good. It was camp and ridiculous but I enjoyed it (some parts a lot, some parts less so).

The real star of the movie, well ok after Margot and Ryan, is America/Ugly Betty. I was so happy that she had such a big role in it.

Over all definitely enjoyed it more than the Oppenheimer movie. 😴

Last edited:
Saw this and LIKED IT and my friends gave me a wtf stare when I mentioned I felt it was TOO SHORT.

Manifesting an extended cut in the future :disco:

I love that the pregnant Midge doll had a little baby you could pop out

71rj3v1E1TL._AC_SL1149_.jpg

I would give this about a 6.5. The best part was the ‘depression Barbie’ skit, and Helen Mirren’s voiceovers. I was hoping for a lot more silliness to be honest.

I grew up watching a lot of 25-minute sitcoms and in the worst ones there would always be a part around the 19:00-22:00 minute mark where that week’s lead character would have an epiphany, realising the error of their ways. (“Gee, I guess I shouldn’t smoke weed just to fit in/try to date two people at the same time/try to kill my niece” etc). This was always the most boring moment, and I feel like we got not one, but THREE of these in this movie in a big pile-up at the end. So boring! I would have liked the movie to have just been like the first twenty minutes showing us Barbieland, but for three hours and without a plot.

I agree with Sheena when he says that he felt like it was all about Ken’s resolution rather than Barbie’s. I also think they missed a trick not emphasising how boys can play with dolls too.

However, I’m not one to complain without putting forward a resolution, so here is how I would have improved the script - DO NOT COPYRIGHT OR SHARE
Palaeontologists Alan Grant (Sam Neill) and Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) are among a select group chosen to tour a Mattel theme park populated by barbie dolls created from human DNA. While the park's mastermind, billionaire John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), assures everyone that the facility is safe, they find out otherwise when various ferocious dolls break free and go on the hunt.

I agree with Sheena when he says that he felt like it was all about Ken’s resolution rather than Barbie’s. I also think they missed a trick not emphasising how boys can play with dolls too.

I don’t really feel like this is a problem. Given how feminism 101 the movie is, i’m pleased that potentially the key lesson that the movie tries to teach is one of the most important and lesser understood parts of that doctrine, which is that patriarchy hurts men / feminism helps men too. And doing that in a really accessible way!

Last edited:
Now surpassed The Dark Knight to become Warner Bros' highest grossing film in the US ever.

and Ireland:

1. Barbie (€8.85m)​

2. Avatar (€8.75m)​

3. Titanic (€8.39m)​

4. Spider-Man: No Way Home (€7.57m)​

5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (€6.76m)​

6. The Lion King (€6.55m)​

7. Avengers: Endgame (€6.42m)​

8. Joker (€6.4m)​

9. Mamma Mia! (€6.39m)​

10. The Dark Knight (€6.31m)​

Oh yes :D

Nothing OVERTLY BRITISH FOR US PLEASE, we’re Irish :ireland:

The Lion King? Mamma Mia? Way to be BASIC Ireland

Mamma Mia was the highest grossing ever in the UK when it was first released, wasn't it? Presumably until Avatar.

And I don't think the UK can complain about Ireland being basic when half our list is Bond or Star Wars.

Is this suitable for children or is it more of an adult thing?
It's not particularly rude or offensive, but a lot of it will go over their heads I think. It's pretty to look at and there are elements of it being a fun caper which they might enjoy.

I was looking to take Dannii (4) to the cinema tomorrow but there's just nothing on except this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom