Janet - Discipline

We gon' SHAKE SOME THANG... and we gon' BREAK SOME THANG!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 5 29.4%

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
I'll never forget just before "Call On Me" came out and I was busy assuring people that of COURSE Janet would deliver, because all of her lead singles were SMASHES and after it came out people would forget the damita jo and superbowl nonsense....and then it came out and i was SO ANGRY and ASHAMED. :(

So you're basically saying if 20 YO was GOOD it wouldn't have been SHIT? :D

NO, i meant if it had been what she SAID and not an album full of midtempos and ballads then people would have taken to it a bit better.

but THAT too. :D

It was the equivalent of the Pirates of The Caribbean films, when the producers publicly acknowledged that the second one was too long and a bit all over the place, assuring that the third film would be shorter, more plot simple and fun... and then it came out and was even worse.

"do you want to talk a-bout it... miss ja-net"
"No... I've moved on to bigger and better things."
"i can tell you still miss him"
"No, I mean um- I don't know... it was incredible while it lasted but I know that I can just do... SO MUCH BETTA"

What a RETARDED HOT MESS :D YAY! I love this album

Still love 'Never Letchu Go'.

Live performance (please speak up a bit):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PxBVfHbR8cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never Letchu Go is quite possibly the WORST thing on there... that super schmaltzy production is just VOM

Actually Can't B Good is worse but I had forgotten about this because I deleted it long ago

My first thought was:"THAT BINT FROM THE X FACTOR HAS A SINGLE OUT? WHY?"

Just tell her it was a little-known song recorded by a circus act which was only distributed via the medium of used tampon and it would probably meet with her obscurity criteria :disco:

I haven't listened to it since '08 but "Rock Wit U", "2nite", "Feedback" ALL GREAT. The rest, I recall, not so much.

The only Janet album I could confidently identify from the several tonnes of same-sounding-SHITE she released during the decade is 'Damita Jo'. And even then, every time I go to listen to it in the belief that it's a genuinely good album, I'm reminded that it's little more than a collection of songs which aren't AS bad as the rest of her output around the time.

I actually quite like Damita Jo, I definitely prefer it to Discipline. It's certainly flawed and has a few (read: many) sex songs it could afford getting rid of but "Spending Time With You", "I Want You", "All Night" are genuinely good efforts and there's an unusually amount of listenable stuff on there for a 2000s Janet album.

I will maintain that 20 Y.O. is her absolute nadir, musically. Just cheap and clunky to the MAX

In fact I've just remembered "Call on Me" exists for the first time in several years and I already have a HORRIBLE TASTE IN MY MOUTH as a result

Last edited:
20 Y.O is absolute dross for the most part, but Enjoy is my favourite song of hers since The Velvet Rope era.

Absolutely abysmal. She needs some new collaborators stat.

Discipline was that album though, wasn't it? I don't think Jam and Lewis contributed to the final project at all and they did have some hot producers at the time.

As an album it isn't great but is SO much tighter than 20 YO, which is only saved by Enjoy and Khia. After the BBC4 documentary that I watched on TiVo the other week, I listened to all of her albums but by All For You she just runs out of things to say doesn't she? The noughties produced about an albums worth of solid material in the span of 4. That said, when its good - Enjoy, Feedback, I Want You - its amongst her best.

I think Let Me Know has been on streaming a while (here anyway). it's a fucking bop.

Discipline is a really severely underrated record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom