Jesy Nelson's solo career - BOYZ ft. Nicki Minaj out now + not very good + problematic + unimpressed label + DROPPED + Bad Thing + now white

I think this whole thing will

• Total voters
The video made me feel actively uncomfortable...it's so clearly and obviously blackfishing I can't quite believe it's been approved for release, never mind being released in 2021. I can only see time being VERY unkind to it.

How angry I would be if I were a black British female soloist, and seeing this getting so much budget and attention...I'm assuming Twitter is going to have a field day if it hasn't already....
There's the angle octy mentioned as well. And I'm troubled slightly by the fact that it sounds like she's affecting the vocal style of a child, and then singing about her mama, singing overtly sexual lyrics, and spending half the video with her chest out or in clothes which suggest childhood. It's like she's infantilising herself while simultaneously sexualising herself.

Yeah, it worries me.

...it sounds like she's affecting the vocal style of a child, and then singing about her mama, singing overtly sexual lyrics, and spending half the video with her chest out or in clothes which suggest childhood. It's like she's infantilising herself while simultaneously sexualising herself.

Yeah, it worries me.
well, many a pop girl has gone down this route over the years, disturbing as that is.

well, many a pop girl has gone down this route over the years, disturbing as that is.
Yes, I appreciate it isn't anything new - I think it's just a combination of the blackfishing, the context octy refers to, and this.

And somehow I expected something a bit more ADULT from her, because I thought it was the fact that Little Mix strayed into the younger market that was one of the things she didn't like about their material.

Plus of course she is THIRTY now.

I... don't hate this

I KNEW IT'D BE YOU! :D

Literally almost posted 'Who's going to be the first to admit to liking this then? dUb this is usually your moment' - but decided against it in case it came off too catty.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: dUb
I do note it's closing in on a million views already, though Nicki's presence can't be hurting on that front.

Moopy hates it
Popjustice hates it :eyes:

If the straights want to claim it, it's theirs for the taking

The baby voice doesn't bother me so much as the fact that she's putting on a really affected American accent. It all feels way too forced and try-hard.

I do note it's closing in on a million views already, though Nicki's presence can't be hurting on that front.

There was always going to be enough interest to ensure a decent Friday.

Also, the P Diddy record the song and video references is 20 years old - will her audience understand it? I have no idea if it's considered sufficiently classic.

Do we think the rumours that this is the video AFTER they digitally lightened her skin are true?

Because DOUBLE YIKES if so.

Also, the P Diddy record the song and video references is 20 years old - will her audience understand it? I have no idea if it's considered sufficiently classic.

I don't remember it at all and I was watching quite a lot of MTV at the time.

I wonder what the Little Mix reaction is to this video.
Leigh-Anne LITERALLY had a full documentary about racism in the British pop industry, including a entire segment about how black female artists are marginalised :D

Tone DEAF doesn't even begin to cover it.

I have to say I don't HATE the funky guitar riffs - it's a rare thing to hear real instrumentation in R&B music these days.

The entire presentation of it though is certainly a thing to behold. I agree about the childlike sexualisation of it all.

The bitter bitch inside of me also hates the fact that the song is doing better than it would because of Nicki. I imagine Team Jesy are now celebrating that their risk paid off in terms of image and direction. Unfortunately, they're correct so far.

Despite kind of liking it, I do think that the cover looks like a republican girl from high school dressed up in a racist Halloween costume on Instagram

Actually never mind the cover, the entire VIDEO is basically that!

Reactions: RJN
I hate that “views and streams” are supposed to be an indication of success. It’s an indication of notoriety, but do the people watching it actually LIKE it?

I hate that “views and streams” are supposed to be an indication of success. It’s an indication of notoriety, but do the people watching it actually LIKE it?

Another reason why the charts don't work any more. People listening to a song has nothing to do with popularity.

Another reason why the charts don't work any more. People listening to a song has nothing to do with popularity.
Yeah, when you’re clicking on a link from people sharing how bad a song is, or even listening to a playlist is no different from listening to the radio. Just because someone else selected it doesn’t mean I like it. At worst it just means I could tolerate it for 4 minutes before another comes on.

Sampling P. Diddy in 2021 which (I ASSUME) already sampled something else? CAR CRASH :disco:

Yeah, when you’re clicking on a link from people sharing how bad a song is, or even listening to a playlist is no different from listening to the radio. Just because someone else selected it doesn’t mean I like it. At worst it just means I could tolerate it for 4 minutes before another comes on.
Likewise I could ask Spotify to play a generic "pop" playlist and add a load of streams to the Ed Sheerans and Jesy's of the world. It's how that awful Goulding and Amazon rigged the Christmas charts a couple of years ago. :evil:

I’d just like to say that it’s only been a month or so since I first discovered Jesy isn’t actually mixed race. I’m quite astonished she’s been getting away with this for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom