Shout Out to My Ex
vs What About Us
Touch vs Gentleman
No More Sad Songs vs Disco Love
Power vs Not Giving Up
Reggaetón Lento vs What Are you Waiting For

Well I’ve finally watched the megamix and
:meh:

I don’t know if it’s the quality or the choice of songs, it’s definitely the shoddy “mixing” as well, it’s more like a recap.

But the back catalogue seems to be a bit THIN. If I only saw that video I’d say Move and Black Magic were their best.

All felt a bit weird with the Jesy erasure too (which I understand but it’s sad)

gE0sLat.gif

I am SHOOK at this dreadful result.

Yes LM trended a bit of a younger audience but as far as overall bands go they are streets ahead of the bunch of ropey Kylie-from-accounts girls that are giving karaoke a crack after a few wines.

Yes LM trended a bit of a younger audience but as far as overall bands go they are streets ahead of the bunch of ropey Kylie-from-accounts girls that are giving karaoke a crack after a few wines.
It's interesting that Little Mix sold far more albums than The Saturdays, who I believe other than the first album, never really shifted them. That doesn't really sit with them being so much dependent on very young fans.

Are they actually dependent on young fans? Their most recent stuff (which is my favorite) seems less young

Are they actually dependent on young fans? Their most recent stuff (which is my favorite) seems less young
I think they possibly have (or at least had) a greater proportion of younger fans than The Saturdays, but also a considerably larger fanbase anyway.

tumblr_letx6fV9Hf1qa9c3ko1_500.gif

It's interesting that Little Mix sold far more albums than The Saturdays, who I believe other than the first album, never really shifted them. That doesn't really sit with them being so much dependent on very young fans.
The Saturdays had an odd but interesting commercial trajectory for sure. Chasing Lights was a big hit and I think somewhat unexpectedly so but they hit it out of the park (and right out of the gate) with the single sales from that album, which powered it. They then stumbled with Wordshaker (in my view largely due to the wrong single choices - Forever is Over was a hit, but it broke with their sound, and clearly the album should have been led by never-actually-a-single One Shot). The record company did a somewhat clever re-think and quickly threw out the Headlines EP which came close to matching the sales of the debut (and featured One Shot AGAIN). After that, none of the albums sold in any significant numbers yet they continued to have hit singles including a #1.

As was once WIDELY REPORTED (:D), I did have something of a love for Teh Satz. They launched as Girls Aloud reached their crescendo with a sound which complimented GA, rather than copy it. Were they a better band than Little Mix? Probably not but their sound is far more cohesive and the focus on catchy pop bangers has allowed time to be very kind to them.

Little Mix have some amazing highs, but also some boring genre-chasing rubbish and unfortunately more than a few of their songs are hamstrung by Jesy’s oft jarring vocal.

One Shot NOT out now!

Last edited:

Saturdays never really developed a big loyal fanbase if I remember rightly, they were very much a singles group. Did they even do any big tours?

I saw the Satz once in Sheffield and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it x

I much prefer them to Little Mix who do have a few good songs but have never really clicked with me. Tbh I don't even know which member is which :D

Saturdays hands down have the stronger roster of singles even if they lacked growth (bc who cares). The only singles I didn't really like from them are "Issues" and "Gentleman"

Where Little Mix succeeded over The Saturdays is maybe simpler than it looks. The contrivance was public with Little Mix. We watched it all on the telly. We voted for them. Lots. The Saturdays were assembled privately and then presented to us, including a wholly unconvincing 'reality' show which only served to demonstrate how stilted some of their relationships were. It seems that the British public were happy to accept a level of manufacturing with Little Mix because we were given had a say in whether or not it was working. Similarly Girls Aloud - we put those 5 singers together, not someone behind the scenes who decided for us what we wanted. As such, when the reality shows about them came out, we weren't that bothered that there were a few tensions or that Sarah was a bit separate - it wasn't on them in the same way, it was on us, really.

One very undersung development of the last 20 years is how the whole Pop Idol/X Factor thing killed the manufactured boy/girl band. Either we, the public, get a say or its no dice. Seriously: who was the last successful manufactured band that didn't come from a TV show?

Where Little Mix succeeded over The Saturdays is maybe simpler than it looks. The contrivance was public with Little Mix. We watched it all on the telly. We voted for them. Lots. The Saturdays were assembled privately and then presented to us, including a wholly unconvincing 'reality' show which only served to demonstrate how stilted some of their relationships were. It seems that the British public were happy to accept a level of manufacturing with Little Mix because we were given had a say in whether or not it was working. Similarly Girls Aloud - we put those 5 singers together, not someone behind the scenes who decided for us what we wanted. As such, when the reality shows about them came out, we weren't that bothered that there were a few tensions or that Sarah was a bit separate - it wasn't on them in the same way, it was on us, really.

One very undersung development of the last 20 years is how the whole Pop Idol/X Factor thing killed the manufactured boy/girl band. Either we, the public, get a say or its no dice. Seriously: who was the last successful manufactured band that didn't come from a TV show?

I like this idea. Interesting to me as I read this, The Saturdays, more than any other band, dispelled the illusion that they were anything other than work colleagues. And I think for a pop band to be more than the sun of its parts, those relationships feel mostly crucial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom