Madonna 40- Everybody

I know you've been waiting, YEAH...

• Total voters

Sheena

ROMANCE
To celebrate the (admittedly rather lacklustre) fanfare around the release of Madonna's first single 40 years ago this week, what do YOU think of it nowadays?

Personally, at the time (or just after- I only found out about Madonna from Holiday onwards), I realised it was a step down from the big hits, but time has really been kind to Everybody for me. The lyrics are simplistic but the bassline and synths are so on point that it still sounds fresh, funky and hasn't aged at all.

I also love the position it holds in her discography- that it's a club hit rather than one of the uber hits that followed. I also love that the record company let her lead with a fully self- penned single, something she has only managed on that first album.

1665158409390.png

It’s a bit HARSH sounding for me. I like that it feels like a proper underground club song from that era… it allows for the fact that the production is quite cheap and gritty. But the trademark warmth and emotion of her vocal is missing on it (I feel the same about Material Girl and Like A Virgin) and so I never really go back to it

I prefer the smoother, more polished R&B influences of three big early singles.

Still good though.

I think it’s my least favourite single by her pre-Hard Candy. It’s boring and seems to go on forever. It’s a 6-7 I guess.

The 7” is just right in terms of length @RaspberrySwirl - check that mix out. We all know you like them short and stubby .

Anyway it’s a great song and her vocal on it is so good, I love how she sings it with such urgency

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom